CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Why isnt Labor Day Weekend a spot for tentpoles? A 4-Day Weekend and the (usually) quite empty slate of September. Seems good for me. Is there a particular reason why Hollywood just ignores that weekend?

That's a question I've been asking for two years now. Maybe after It doing bonkers Studios will start reconsidering treating Labor Day (And September) like a dumping ground, this goes for January too, even though Split and Kung Fu Panda 3 was pretty big in that month.

Lesson: Spread the blockbuster movies througout the year and not stack them all in the summer season, that way you avoid underperformes like Apes 3. People like good movies any time of the year.

• Like 3

I think IT is bound to be the most profitable movie this year, besides The Last Jedi.  It's already made practically 3x its budget DOM alone.

What's also funny is it looked like a big budget movie, despite having a pretty small one.  There were only a few small moments where the small budget showed.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

That's a question I've been asking for two years now. Maybe after It doing bonkers Studios will start reconsidering treating Labor Day (And September) like a dumping ground, this goes for January too, even though Split and Kung Fu Panda 3 was pretty big in that month.

Lesson: Spread the blockbuster movies througout the year and not stack them all in the summer season, that way you avoid underperformes like Apes 3. People like good movies any time of the year.

The problem with Jan is if your movie is ready by then (and not trash) you myswell either release it in December or do a limited rollout for a chance at an Oscar nom (even if just a tech or something).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Pumpkin Spice Panda said:

I think IT is bound to be the most profitable movie this year, besides The Last Jedi.  It's already made practically 3x its budget DOM alone.

What's also funny is it looked like a big budget movie, despite having a pretty small one.  There were only a few small moments where the small budget showed.

What about Get Out?

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, The Pumpkin Spice Panda said:

Despicable me 3 too ?

1+ billion on a 80million budget, that 50m difference in the production budget is taken care off with what around 80m at the box office max, kids movie is a genre that sell well also on bluray and all platform.

Minions was at 502 million the last time, just below Force Awaken, with the same 80m production budget.

Despicable Me 2 won 2013:

http://deadline.com/2014/03/despicable-me-2-2013-most-profitable-movie-universal-705554/

Weaker domestic will hurt it a lot, but Despicable me should stay a hard to beat movie profit wise this year once again.

That franchise has been a giant printing money factory.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rorschach said:

A drop around 50 percent on Sundays is pretty common for a lot of movies in September.

Also:

hurricane-irma-path-sept7-11amjpg-1b0b0a

It's way too high.  50% drop is not common for a film in its first week.  45%?  Sure.  But it's not going to drop that much.  And especially since the film has really hit the zeitgeist, chances are it drops less than 45%.  I think it'll hit 122.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

It's what too high.  50% drop is not common for a film in its first week.  45%?  Sure.  But it's not going to drop that much.  And especially since the film has really hit the zeitgeist, chances are it drops less than 45%.  I think it'll hit 122.

You're probably right. I guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out.

So many times in the last few days I've read a sentence referring to the movie IT and just skimming real quick the normal word 'it' fits the sentence just as well, and I think 'Wait what was good?' or 'What scared you?' and then I realize oh IT, and then inevitably I think of this.

1 hour ago, La Binoche said:

Did anyone else think Get Out was the most overrated movie in years? It failed as horror and fell flat as satire (way too on the nose). Glad IT blew it out of the water. 

get out was bettet than it, though it was still.enjoyable.