KeepItU25071906

Tuesday: IT 5,37 mln; Annabelle passed 100 m$ domestic

21 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Get Out is still the story of the year. 

No, it isn't. Get Out had a monstrous run, and it's one of the biggest stories of this decade. But, nothing comes close to what IT is doing, I actually feel ridiculous for arguing that a HORROR MOVIE, Rated R, opening at $120m, and finishing at $330m+ isn't the story of the year. IT is probably the first truly event Horror movie since The Exorcist, it may be the beginning of a new Era for the genre, it's going to be remind by the next generations as the ultimate Horror movie, on the same way that The Exorcist/Sixth Sense are remembered these days, I have no idea how can anything released this year be a bigger story than IT. 

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Beauty and the Beast (and most long term box office followers) would disagree. Beauty opened more than $50M above IT and will finish around $180M-$200M more domestically. Films that open in March are never the highest grossing film of the year come September, let alone by about $100M. That's what Beauty has accomplished this year.

While IT is certainly a massive success and a huge story, it is not the story of the year. If the film can gross an additional $300M this year, then I will change my mind.

Beauty and the Beast was a guarantee success.I remember that the majority of people were laughing at the predictions that had it at 100M OW/370M DOM.Most expected 450M+ long before release.So Beaty and the Beast grossing 500M and retaining the top spot until now it''s not a surprise.A surprise is a superhero film having a 4x multy this day and age (in Summer no less).An even bigger surprise is a horror film in September playing like a huge tentpole in Summer.

46 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Beauty and the Beast being a total monster could be seen coming from miles away, though. No one can say they ever saw IT going as high as they did from afar.

A surprising gross is never a greater story than a higher gross. If that was the case, then Hidden Figures or Get Out would be the story. IT was pegged to be a hit at least two full months before being released. Very few predicted HF or GO to be massive successes the day before they opened.

4 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Beauty and the Beast was a guarantee success.I remember that the majority of people were laughing at the predictions that had it at 100M OW/370M DOM.Most expected 450M+ long before release.So Beaty and the Beast grossing 500M and retaining the top spot until now it''s not a surprise.A surprise is a superhero film having a 4x multy this day and age (in Summer no less).An even bigger surprise is a horror film in September playing like a huge tentpole in Summer.

Surprises are never the leading story. The top grosser is the lead story. Sometimes they overlap if you apply restrictive criteria, such as the story of the 2017 summer. When taking account the entire year, the surprises are not the lead story. People may have pet stories or favorite films or other agendas to push but it all comes down to money grossed in the end.

14 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

No, it isn't. Get Out had a monstrous run, and it's one of the biggest stories of this decade. But, nothing comes close to what IT is doing, I actually feel ridiculous for arguing that a HORROR MOVIE, Rated R, opening at $120m, and finishing at $330m+ isn't the story of the year. IT is probably the first truly event Horror movie since The Exorcist, it may be the beginning of a new Era for the genre, it's going to be remind by the next generations as the ultimate Horror movie, on the same way that The Exorcist/Sixth Sense are remembered these days, I have no idea how can anything released this year be a bigger story than IT. 

I'd have to agree. As awesome as get out is, and incredible as it's run was, it can't compare to IT.  That said, 2017 has been really special for the horror genre

Edited by cheesypoofs

10 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

A surprising gross is never a greater story than a higher gross. If that was the case, then Hidden Figures or Get Out would be the story. IT was pegged to be a hit at least two full months before being released. Very few predicted HF or GO to be massive successes the day before they opened.

Even though IT was predicted to be a hit, it wasn't exactly predicted to be a 100m+ opener

11 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

You want to argue the definition of "story of the year?" It's intrinsically subjective...no one else is defining it your way it seems

17 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

By the time it opened it was also a foregone conclusion that it would do at least 2/3 of what it's currently doing. Before Get Out opened I don't think anyone rationally predicted it'd do even half of what it did. Get Out is also a much riskier movie in every way. IT is horror, sure, but it was basically sold as a flashy blockbuster ride kind of horror, and it is one as a movie. (Which is also part of why I disagree with the "ultimate horror movie" etc. notion. It's a big populist hit that's come out at exactly the right time, that by itself is not gonna make it another Exorcist or Sixth Sense.) I get where you're coming from but I'd still place it at #2. 

21 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

A surprising gross is never a greater story than a higher gross. 

By that logic Despicable Me 3's domestic run is a greater story than Get Out and Hidden Figures. In other words: no.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

You want to argue the definition of "story of the year?" It's intrinsically subjective...no one else is defining it your way it seems

There will likely be a 2017 wrap-up in late December or early January from many websites and publications. IT won't be the lead story in any of them. At best, the film will be name checked in the first paragraph or two before being discussed in more detail later in the story. Go back and read prior recaps if you think I'm wrong. 

It, Wonder Woman, and Get Out are the biggest surprises.

But Wonder Woman was a superhero movie (which has become just as frontloaded as the YA franchise - although they're so similar in demographics generally) in a universe that had three films that received mixed to negative WOM yet it opened to $103m and then had incredible legs. A 4x multiplier, ESPECIALLY in this day and age, is nothing short of stunning. 

IT...come on...that just blew everything out of the water. It more than doubled the record of the previous OW record for a horror movie and it's holding surprisingly well. IN SEPTEMBER. 

Although you could definitely argue that Get Out was just as impressive. A film opening to $33m and then finishing at, what, $175m?

Beauty and the Beast was a monster, and its performance was incredibly impressive but nowhere near as surprising as the films mentioned above. Its $175m OW was on par with IM3 and Civil War...yet it finished nearly $100m above them.

Just now, LonePirate said:

There will likely be a 2017 wrap-up in late December or early January from many websites and publications. IT won't be the lead story in any of them. At best, the film will be name checked in the first paragraph or two before being discussed in more detail later in the story. Go back and read prior recaps if you think I'm wrong. 

Think you're making a different case entirely which is much more narrow.  As others have said IT's success legitimately changed the game in this industry and will impact for years.  We don't have to call it the lead story if that's the issue...

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Get Out is still the story of the year. 

Agree.

Get Out's success came out of nowhere. Not based on any IP, any cinematic universe, not made by a household director or an award darling, not a remake, no SM viral campaign, nothing. An original and cheap (budget and production-wise) R-rated horror movie dealing with a topic that America 2017 still has a hard time dealing with without deflection and gaslighting.(OMG "Identity Politics" again I'm oppressed by the SJW conspiracy GTFO!).

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

How about this?

Wonder Woman, Beauty and the Beast, Get Out, and It  are all the box office stories of the year?

They each had extraordinary runs and they all something unique that most definitely added an element of "WTF? I did not see that gross coming!" to their box office totals...

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Agree.

Get Out's success came out of nowhere. Not based on any IP, any cinematic universe, not made by a household director or an award darling, not a remake, no SM viral campaign, nothing. An original and cheap (budget and production-wise) R-rated horror movie dealing with a topic that America 2017 still has a hard time dealing with without deflection and gaslighting.(OMG "Identity Politics" again I'm oppressed by the SJW conspiracy GTFO!).

Remember when BKB actually tried to argue that Get Out was racist against white people? :lol:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Remember when BKB actually tried to argue that Get Out was racist against white people? :lol:

On 9/21/2016 at 10:04 PM, IN BKB WE TRUST said:

How a network gets away with calling a sitcom "Black-ish" is amazing.. The title in itself sounds borderline Racist.. I'm waiting for the New sitcom titled "Cauca-sian" to be made...

• Haha 1