Alli

WEEKEND Box Office: BOO-21.6M; Geostorm-13.3M; OTB-6M; Snowman-3.4M

2 hours ago, spaghetti! said:

Next weekend is going to be absolutely dire. I doubt Jigsaw will set the world on fire, and I could easily see a sub $5m opening for Suburbicon.

I kind of wish Netflix released its viewership numbers just to get an idea of what Stranger Things would do compared to next weekend's releases

For all the shit they got here, both Geostorm and The Snowman will very likely break even with OS.

Geostorm still has a bunch of big markets left, China included.

And The Snowman has more than half (major) OS markets still left to open.

The fact that a movie doesn't do well State side means little nowadays. 

2 minutes ago, James said:

For all the shit they got here, both Geostorm and The Snowman will very likely break even with OS.

Geostorm still has a bunch of big markets left, China included.

And The Snowman has more than half (major) OS markets still left to open.

The fact that a movie doesn't do well State side means little nowadays. 

Have you seen Geostorm yet? You are the kind of person who would enjoy it immensely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can we talk about how hilarabad Breathe has done? I'm pretty sure a number of simultaneous limited/VOD releases that didn't have any kind of awards buzz at any point in time have made more than what it will. Poor Andrew Garfield.

26 51 Breathe (2017) BST $155,925 +599.7% 315 +311 $495 $187,718 - 2
Edited by filmlover
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

48 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Can we talk about how hilarabad Breathe has done? I'm pretty sure a number of simultaneous limited/VOD releases that didn't have any kind of awards buzz at any point in time have made more than what it will. Poor Andrew Garfield.

26 51 Breathe (2017) BST $155,925 +599.7% 315 +311 $495 $187,718 - 2

Bleeker Street can't catch a break, I get the feeling it's the sort of film that will do well in its home country but minimal business everywhere else. 

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Bleeker Street can't catch a break, I get the feeling it's the sort of film that will do well in its home country but minimal business everywhere else. 

With tepid reviews and no awards buzz to make it a must see for any crowd, it was pretty much left for dead.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

With tepid reviews and no awards buzz to make it a must see for any crowd, it was pretty much left for dead.

For Andy Serkis, I imagine it was a nice little project for him to do, I can't imagine he or anyone involved expected it be a big hit

Worldwide and international box office is more interesting this weekend. Kingsman is near $350 million WW and has under $6 million to reach $100 million. Which it can pull by Christmas. And IT is the first horror film to make over $650 million WW. 

Less than a week we should be all about Thor. 

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

For Andy Serkis, I imagine it was a nice little project for him to do, I can't imagine he or anyone involved expected it be a big hit

Cavendish had been developing the project with Nicholson for more than a decade when he and Serkis decided in spring 2016 to make Breathe after finding that Garfield and Foy had a window of availability that coincided with their own. Just before Cannes last year, they decided to roll the dice. “We rushed off to Cannes and it was all very bracing,” recalls Cavendish. “It was a bit scary. And we’re a company with resources. It would be very difficult for a small, independent company to have done that.”

Seven weeks after the decision to move ahead, and having raised the $15m budget from BBC Films, BFI, Embankment Films and Silver Reel, they were in production. Bleecker Street and Participant Media picked up North American rights to Breathe, while STX International will release in the UK. It has its world premiere at Toronto International Film Festival before opening the BFI London Film Festival on October 4.

https://www.screendaily.com/features/the-story-behind-andrew-garfield-and-claire-foy-disability-drama-breathe/5122189.article

It has to be more than bit disappointing for Cavendish (they are his parents) but considering where they got their financing they probably knew the UK would be their big market and after market

• Like 1