Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

5 hours ago, DAR said:

After going to give Fosse/Verdon a go

I just watched the last episode. Pretty good miniseries with fantastic performances (especially from Michelle Williams, who honestly gives the best work she's ever done and I've always been a fan of hers). Hopefully more people here check it out in the coming months when it starts its awards run.

24 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I just watched the last episode. Pretty good miniseries with fantastic performances (especially from Michelle Williams, who honestly gives the best work she's ever done and I've always been a fan of hers). Hopefully more people here check it out in the coming months when it starts its awards run.

Michelle Williams might end up being the only winner from that show. Chernobyl should sweep miniseries this time, it's just that good.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Michelle Williams might end up being the only winner from that show. Chernobyl should sweep miniseries this time, it's just that good.

Oh, definitely. Still expecting Fosse/Verdon to rack up a ton of nominations though.

4 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

right i know but i'm pretty sure they were planning to do something with him in the movies that they probably won't bother with now. he wasn't just there as a wink to people that like the cartoons.

I thought Ron Howard arbitrarily chose Maul.

@CJohn Golpe de Sorte showed its first sign of weakness with a rather.... ehh result on Thursday. Reminds me of The Farmer Wants A Wife, which was blowing up at the beginning of its 1st week but then slowed down as it went along, only to then blow up right again. 10.7% rating and something over 24% share for it. Still, I believe it was an atypical result and it won't lose the leadership to Prisioneira anytime soon. Prisioneira was still closer to Joker than to it, so I really don't see it losing the #1 spot until at least September when the new Rui Vilhena (writer of Ninguém Como Tu and Tempo de Viver) soap arrives. And even then, it will end in September and be replaced directly with another soap, starring Sofia Alves (HUGE for SIC to get her) and Sara Matos. However, the Vilhena soap sounds bombastic on paper.... that shit has an insane all-star cast that's being built up: Alexandra Lencastre, Dalila Carmo, Margarida Vila-Nova, Maria João Bastos and São José Correia all confirmed so far. And it's set in the Madeira islands, so it'll have hopefully epic cinematography. Until then, Golpe will stay #1, but we'll find out soon enough if the fad was all first week hype crashing down as the public dissipates to cable again, and Golpe is another fragile leader like Valor da Vida was, or if it really is here to stay, like The Farmer and O Programa da Cristina were.

What makes me believe it was an atypical result was how strong its 2nd and 3rd episode results were, the latter being in rather tough conditions coming post a big commercial break after the Europa League finals, which SIC aired. It not only pretty much matched the game's share, but it surpassed it in rating. Sure, a football game not featuring the Portugal national team or one of the big three (Benfica, Porto or Sporting) isn't that big of a deal for our public, but it was still the Europa League finals featuring two of the biggest teams in the world, Chelsea and Arsenal. Golpe de Sorte outdid that game in rating. That's pretty big. I don't believe yesterday's result was a normal thing. Hell, ratings nowadays are rollercoasters that fluctuate between highs and lows. It will rebound, for sure. And also, Alma e Coração beat A Teia yet again despite Golpe giving it a much worse lead-in than in the other days. If THAT can happen even on a weak day for Golpe, then I can safely say I reeeeeeally feel like it was a fluke result.

What was not a fluke, however, was Like Me being a gigantic bomb. 7% share on Thursday. Finding ways to make Who Wants To Marry My Son look better every passing hour :hahaha:  The Farmer, which yet again had a completely random episode before the beginning of Season 2, is still bafflingly huge, only having the leadership stolen from it in the final minutes of the 7PM GAWD's show. And in the mornings, Você na TV continues to dispute second place with RTP's show. As a matter of fact, RTP was like 9 decimals behind TVI for Thursday dailies, AND IT WASN'T EVEN WITH ANYTHING SPECIAL IN THEIR PROGRAMMING. TVI is closer to RTP1 than SIC was last year.... that's not a joke. RTP1 is more competitive against TVI for 2nd place than they were against SIC, even on SIC's darkest hours. Tonight, RTP has a U-20 World Cup Portugal game and a futsal game between Benfica and Sporting at primetime. They might actually beat TVI today. And they might actually beat TVI someday with regular programming. And Good fucking lord, that will be the single most hilarious sight of all time.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

15 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Pattinson in High Life is better than every Ansel Elgort performance combined, although tbf that's not a high bar to clear

explain to me what was so great about his lifeless performance. he did nothing all movie, just wandering around. seriously, he had nothing to do. which scene impressed you so much?

people think that because it's an indie movie, everything is great. the baby was the best actor in the movie

Edited by Alli

1 hour ago, Alli said:

explain to me what was so great about his lifeless performance. he did nothing all movie, just wandering around. seriously, he had nothing to do. which scene impressed you so much?

people think that because it's an indie movie, everything is great. the baby was the best actor in the movie

be quiet michael c hall GIF

• Haha 1