Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Recommend reading The Unwomanly Face of War if you haven't, although it will completely gut you. Was a semi-official inspiration for Beanpole (most notably Perelygina's big climactic monologue in the house) and gives you a good idea of what these characters would have gone through during the war.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Netflix only seems to share numbers when they're crazy big. Know they said that Ryan Reynolds/Michael Bay movie was watched by over 80 million people or something like that the other week but who knows how many of those people actually watched it and would've gone to a theater to see it vs. having it on as background noise and nothing more (I'm gonna guess not too many).

That means 80 million accounts watched at least 2 minutes of it. 

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

i enjoyed it but it's definitely a movie i could see a lot of people switching off after 15 minutes. it's the most Bay that Bay has Bay'd in a while.

Netflix have actually just changed their "Chose to watch"metric. 

"As we’ve expanded our original content, we’ve been working on how to best share content highlights
that demonstrate popularity. Given that we now have titles with widely varying lengths - from short
episodes (e.g. Special at around 15 minutes) to long films (e.g. The Highwaymen at 132 minutes), we
believe that reporting households viewing a title based on 70% of a single episode of a series or of an
entire film, which we have been doing, makes less sense.
We are now reporting on households
(accounts) that chose to watch a given title . Our new methodology is similar to the BBC iPlayer in their
( Chose to watch and did watch for at least 2 minutes -- long enough to indicate the choice was intentional
-- is the precise definition) 
rankings based on “requests” for the title, “most popular” articles on the New York Times which include those who opened the articles, and YouTube view counts. This way, short and long titles are treated
equally, leveling the playing field for all types of our content including interactive content, which has no
fixed length. The new metric is about 35% higher on average than the prior metric. For example, 45m
member households chose to watch Our Planet under the new metric vs. 33m under the prior metric.
"

Think about that.  What could be more of a known quantity then a David Attenborough nature series?  Yet under the new system 45m households watched at least 2 minutes and only 33 million actually stayed to watch at least 70% of one episode.  I wonder what the figures would be for 6 Underground with the old system.

• Like 1

my favourite thing about 6 underground, halfway through after about 40 minutes of expositional flashbacks ryan reynolds says in narration "ok now you're all caught up!" and then after that there's 15 more minutes of expositional flashbacks and they're still interspersed throughout basically until the climax. a lot of people probably dipped out somewhere in there.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

my favourite thing about 6 underground, halfway through after about 40 minutes of expositional flashbacks ryan reynolds says in narration "ok now you're all caught up!" and then after that there's 15 more minutes of expositional flashbacks and they're still interspersed throughout basically until the climax. a lot of people probably dipped out somewhere in there.

Reynolds is still rationalizing the premise to people halfway into the movie and the more he does it the less sense it makes. Amazing.

• Like 2

I know there's gonna be a best films of the decade list coming up (will put down 100 films for that if its allowed) but here's my top 10 for now::

1. Margaret

2. Her

3. Mad Max Fury Road

4. The Tale of Princess Kaguya

5. Manchester by the Sea

6. Phantom Thread

7. Anomalisa

8. Silence

9. They Shall Not Grow Old

10. Paddington 2

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I know there's gonna be a best films of the decade list coming up (will put down 100 films for that if its allowed) but here's my top 10 for now::

1. Margaret

2. Her

3. Mad Max Fury Road

4. The Tale of Princess Kaguya

5. Manchester by the Sea

6. Phantom Thread

7. Anomalisa

8. Silence

9. They Shall Not Grow Old

10. Paddington 2

I'm gonna ask people to submit top 100s if they can. I mean if you want your vote to count surely you gotta have 10 movies on average per year that you think are good enough for a decade list. (That said, top 50 will also be an option.)

Our top 3s are 2/3 the same btw.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Our top 3s are 2/3 the same btw.

Considering that I've seen you like my Margaret posts, I think Margaret is in your top 3 and maybe, Fury Road is the other film in your top 3.

Also need to watch more films from the first half of the decade. Don't have many films from 2014, 2011, 2012, and 2010 in my (very loose) top 100 list. Most of my pre-2015 films in the list are from 2013 (4 10/10s from the year too).

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Considering that I've seen you like my Margaret posts, I think Margaret is in your top 3 and maybe, Fury Road is the other film in your top 3.

Also need to watch more films from the first half of the decade. Don't have many films from 2014, 2011, 2012, and 2010 in my (very loose) top 100 list. Most of my pre-2015 films in the list are from 2013 (4 10/10s from the year too).

Correct. Margaret is #1 baby.

With the sci-fi countdown taking up February and early March I've been thinking of setting the decade submission deadline to around March 15 so you have a month and a half to catch up. I myself spent the past year watching and revisiting everything I could and 2011-12 have a lot of good stuff, 2010 though to my mind is easily the weakest movie year of the decade if not of the past 20+ years.

• Astonished 1

Ugh lmao my friend's been in a relationship now and he's got to be one of the most annoying people in a relationship. Always refers to himself as "we" (even if it was something she wasn't a part of) like "we really liked 1917" even though I saw it with him and she never saw it: "well, I told her the plot on the way home and we really liked it".

Anyways he's always been one of those hyper-focused on school people to the point where I was jealous. But he told me that he's gonna start taking Adderall and I asked why aren't you focused enough? And he said yea "but she's starting to take it and I want to do it with her so we can do it together". I told him if that's why he's doing it he might as well get an IUD so he can be like her.

Hasn't talked to me since. 

3 hours ago, Alli said:

Super Bowl LIV: Most Movie Ads Sitting Out the Big Game As Prices Soar

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/super-bowl-liv-movie-ads-sitting-big-game-as-prices-soar-1273888

Super Bowl ads for movies have not been the huge thing they once were for some time. Warners decided they were not worth the high cost a few years ago, and no other studios are following . I note that you see ads for movies in the Pregame show, where the rates are not as outrageous, but fewer and fewer each year for the actual game.