Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Manfred doesn't get many things right, but he got this one right and bringing the game back next year is next to a no-brainer.

I've seen this game being compared to the Winter Classic, and I think that really is the best analogy I've seen.

Sure, it's schmaltzy and maybe even a tad contrived.  But sometimes, just sometimes, contrived and schmaltzy can work.

Have to think it'd be Cards-Cubs next year.  Wouldn't mind a Dodger-Giants game (with them rocking the NYC teams uniforms) at some point.

Not sure how much gas this concept has in the tank, but so far, so good. 👍

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

Manfred doesn't get many things right, but he got this one right and bringing the game back next year is next to a no-brainer.

I've seen this game being compared to the Winter Classic, and I think that really is the best analogy I've seen.

Sure, it's schmaltzy and maybe even a tad contrived.  But sometimes, just sometimes, contrived and schmaltzy can work.

Have to think it'd be Cards-Cubs next year.  Wouldn't mind a Dodger-Giants game (with them rocking the NYC teams uniforms) at some point.

Not sure how much gas this concept has in the tank, but so far, so good. 👍

This game fucking RULED because the Yankees lost on a walk off, lmao

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

I also really dug the Field of Dreams game. It’s a concept that played much, much better than I thought it would (save for some weird camera angles, though I suppose that goes with the territory in an unconventional venue), and you couldn’t write a better ending than the one Tim Anderson delivered. Count me in on wanting to see them do it again.

• Like 2

Yikes. Contemplated posting this in the Clifford thread (he's in the movie so they may or may not have sensed something like this was coming that might have possibly resulted in its September release getting pulled) but to keep that movie's thread clean it belongs here.

SNL's Horatio Sanz Accused of Grooming and Groping Teen Fan | PEOPLE.com

1 hour ago, Madhuvan said:

What's happening in Afghanistan is haunting to me , can't believe we are allowing this to happen in this day and age. 

What shocks me, as former military, is that we left so badly and haphazardly that we left behind tons of highly destructive weapons and equipment.  That should have never happened.  What you can't take with you, you destroy.  If I were in charge, heads would roll over that fact.

I don't think there was the political will from anyone in America to keep staying in Afghanistan, and no one else in the world seems invested in doing anything either, but we didn't just do nothing in July...with the way we left, we literally armed the Taliban with either our indifference or incompetence...

Sec of Def would be on my chopping block, as would joint chiefs, and the leaders of the July withdrawal...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

What shocks me, as former military, is that we left so badly and haphazardly that we left behind tons of highly destructive weapons and equipment.  That should have never happened.  What you can't take with you, you destroy.  If I were in charge, heads would roll over that fact.

I don't think there was the political will from anyone in America to keep staying in Afghanistan, and no one else in the world seems invested in doing anything either, but we didn't just do nothing in July...with the way we left, we literally armed the Taliban with either our indifference or incompetence...

Sec of Def would be on my chopping block, as would joint chiefs, and the leaders of the July withdrawal...

As a lot of people noted on Twitter, the last 3 presidents all wanted to leave but were stopped by the defense apparatus insisting that we were "turning the corner" in Afghanistan and needed to stay. Biden had seen this false assurance for 8 years before now, so he was the only one who could have withdrawn before it became a forever mission for the US.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 7:56 AM, TwoMisfits said:

This, and I don't believe for a freaking minute that the Taliaban has learned it's lesson about supporting terrorist groups like they did Al Qaida. I would bet a lot of money that Alqaida, ISIS, and others set up base in Afghanistan,,and we will probaly have to go in again to clean them out,though I think we won't stay around. Just wipe out the bases and get out.

i think withdrawal was inevitable but the way it was carried out was a total fiasco.

And, no I do not buy it was done delibertly by the Military. That's the kind of crap those who hate the Military always spread.

• Like 1