Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

16 hours ago, grim22 said:

King of bad timing - the guy who bought this one hour before Brady announced his return

I don't think this will end well for Brady. he will be another Muhammed Ali/Willy Mays, who will stick around until his physical skills are shot, and make a fool of himself in his last couple of years.

MLB, MLBPA Discussing Reinstating Extra Innings Ghost Runner Rule

By  |  at 

The extra innings ghost runner might be sticking around in Major League Baseball, report Jayson Stark and Matt Gelb of The Athletic.  Players, who “heavily support” this new feature from the last two seasons, tell the reporters they expect it to be enacted this week with the announcement of health and safety protocols.

Though the automatic runner on second base in extra innings was originally put in place as a COVID response, ultimately the players like it because it has mostly killed the marathon extra innings game.

Stark and Gelb note that the apparition may not necessarily appear in the 10th inning, but instead could surface in the 11th or 12th.  With the National League adopting the designated hitter this year, baseball traditionalists are doing plenty of grumbling this week.

giphy.gif

@4815162342 @Inceptionzq @Cap @Webslinger @TwoMisfits @Menor Reborn @Plain Old Tele 

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 1

12 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

RIP, such a fleeting ray of hope 

I HATE IT SOSOSO MUCH!!!!!!!

Two ground ball outs to the right side of the infield to start an inning should NEVER NEVER ***EVER*** result in a loss.

NEVER!!!

(it also runs completely contrary to the idea of baseball trying to get more balls in play and will just push bullpens to strikeout artists even more than they already are)

((so so sooooooooooo so dumb and counterproductive))

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Sigh... I hate this but I guess from the player well-being angle I can't protest it that much.

I can and I will protest it that much.  Player usage is down to the manager and front office team.

I understand that MLB is trying to squeeze in more games into the calendar thanks to their insipid lockout, and I also get that thanks to IL/option changes, the shuttlebus between the minors and majors is being dialed back.

Just don't keep yanking your pitchers so early.  Problem solved.

If I squint *AND* if I trusted MLB (which I very much do not), I might be tempted to given them a mulligan this year thanks to a shortened spring training and compressed calendar due to make up double headers.

But I don't trust MLB and I just know that they'll say something like, "Well it worked in 2021 and 2022, what's the big deal? Let's make it permanent."  

No.  "This far, no further," in the immortal words of Captain Picard.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

I can and I will protest it that much.  Player usage is down to the manager and front office team.

I understand that MLB is trying to squeeze in more games into the calendar thanks to their insipid lockout, and I also get that thanks to IL/option changes, the shuttlebus between the minors and majors is being dialed back.

Just don't keep yanking your pitchers so early.  Problem solved.

If I squint *AND* if I trusted MLB (which I very much do not), I might be tempted to given them a mulligan this year thanks to a shortened spring training and compressed calendar due to make up double headers.

But I don't trust MLB and I just know that they'll say something like, "Well it worked in 2021 and 2022, what's the big deal? Let's make it permanent."  

No.  "This far, no further," in the immortal words of Captain Picard.

Dusty got us Astros covered.

• Like 2

That so sad about Hall. Might be time

to rewatch some wrasslin’

Biggest concern right now is making sure Big E recovers properly!!! That was so scary on Friday!

6 minutes ago, Cap said:

That so sad about Hall. Might be time

to rewatch some wrasslin’

Biggest concern right now is making sure Big E recovers properly!!! That was so scary on Friday!

From what I read, there's a chance Big E may never wrestle again. The C1 getting fractured is apparently a huge deal because every major nerve runs through it. He will be out at least 9-12 months and who knows if he will ever be cleared again.

Scott Hall cleaning himself up is a great comeback story. Remember the ESPN story on him a decade ago and how badly he was going? There could have been a "Scott Hall found dead after a OD in a hotel while performing for a no-name Indie for the money" headline. Instead he is being celebrated, got his family back, his friends back and his health almost back till the unforeseen blood clot. He got to go out being the icon he always was. He literally started the Monday Night Wars, he was the first to jump over that railing and cut that promo. Probably the biggest moment in wrestling the past 2 decades.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

and who knows if he will ever be cleared again.

I’m just so glad he’s not paralyzed. And he was putting on such a brave face for everyone. I hope that either the WWE finds a way to like put him on commentary or find him “backstage” role. Or maybe it’s time to look into acting or something because he is just so talented and he is so amazing of a person I would hate for his career tonend this way it’s just that’s… It’s just such garbage I’m so angry about it. Like of all people… 😭😭😭😭

Scott Hall cleaning himself up is a great comeback story.

I have got to say that diamond dog page should probably be nominated for sainthood. His rehabilitation bunch did wonders for bunch of the old guys. And got him to clean up, focus on their health, do yoga. And he’s such a standup guy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Goddamn at the Braves doing this before the corpse of Freddie Freeman's Atlanta career is even cold

@Porthos @75Live @MrPink @Menor Reborn @Inceptionzq @TwoMisfits

Literally saw that on MLBTR when the news dropped and yelled “HOLY CRAP!!!”.

I suppose this slightly lessens the sting for @cannastop.:hahaha:

LMFAO, he's just an old crank who hates everything...

During a recent appearance on Marc Maron's WTF podcast, the 77-year-old actor opened up about his dislike for Yellowstone. This revelation from Elliott comes as he stars in the popular drama's prequel series, 1883.

"I'm not a Yellowstone fan. I don't watch Yellowstone," he said. "I love [star Kevin] Costner. There are a lot of good people on the cast, a few of them I've worked with before. Nothing against any of them, but it's just too much like f------ Dallas or something, for me."