Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 minute ago, Eric Danvers said:

Would be really nice if we just banned Marvel discussion altogether. Just leads to nothing good. Ohhhhhhhhh well.

But that would kill the site traffic if there was no Marvel or DC discussion. It's the prisoner's dilemma. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 9:44 AM, Jonwo said:

The Marvel/MCU thread is a taster of what's to come when the weekend thread is opened. I pray for @Eric Danvers @Cap @ZeeSoh 

It's not that bad lol. It's just...a normal weekend thread. Of course, having one of the biggest bombs in history released will naturally lead to some conversations, not all of which will be sunshine and rainbows, but that is expected.

6 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

It's not that bad lol. It's just...a normal weekend thread. Of course, having one of the biggest bombs in history released will naturally lead to some conversations, not all of which will be sunshine and rainbows, but that is expected.

We've given out 10 seperate warnings. 12 if you include some 0-point verbal warnings. Might even be forgetting one or two. This isn't a normal weekend thread mate.

EDIT: Oh, and two people got suspended this weekend. Yeah, it ain't normal.

• Like 3

it honestly didn't seem that bad. no real dramatic meltdowns or big arguments. i saw some posts in there that were people going "wow this thread is such a dumpster fire!" and i really had no idea what they were talking about. that's just like a default thing people here seem to like to say in every big weekend thread now. like they're willing the mess to happen more than responding to it.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it honestly didn't seem that bad. no real dramatic meltdowns or big arguments. i saw some posts in there that were people going "wow this thread is such a dumpster fire!" and i really had no idea what they were talking about. that's just like a default thing people here seem to like to say in every big weekend thread now. like they're willing the mess to happen more than responding to it.

Well, good to know the staff are doing their jobs well and making sure things aren't toxic or annoying. 👍

• Like 5

I would also add that the Staff are very likely hiding/dealing with the most objectionable posts as soon as they can, so unless one is watching it 24/7, might not even be seeing all the things that have lead to the flood of warnings/thread bans.

• Like 3

Eh, i saw some posts get disappeared i feel would've been given a pass most of the time about other movies. maybe overly cautious. for a big comic book movie, it's a pretty average thread.

I am just talking about in general though, i notice it's actually happened more often people are going "whoa what the hell is happening in this thread?!" and breaking out the Donald Glover with the pizzas Community GIF for pretty normal conversations. maybe minor disagreements at best. it's been an odd phenomenon that's happened more and more here this year in other threads. i can't explain it. I think people who do that want to incite drama maybe but idk.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 4

I’ve literally joined this forum because I was fascinated by everything going on in the BVS OW thread, all the craziness around it, and I must say The Marvels thread last couple of weeks and then this OW thread having been giving me a lot of vibes similar to that.

Although I must say there’s an ugly undertone at times that wasn’t present in the BVS thread, having to do a bit with how the internet has negatively developed since 2016, but thankfully I’ve noticed the mods taking care of a lot of that lately, so you probably don’t even see much of it if you only check it out occasionally.

• Like 3

So I know @BoxOfficeFangrl has seen all the buzz about this online, but for folks who haven't been paying attention, the Swift/Kelce romance got a major status update upgrade over the weekend:

Guess she's wasn't just promoting her movie after all. YiBe40t.png

===

Serious comment time:

One thing I was struck by was the lack of toxic comments on many of these threads discussing this.  Far too often there are waaaaaay too many jealous/catty fan-stalker/parasocial reactions to these types of things where folks just flip out in a toxic way over these sorts of PDAs and... well while I'm sure they're out there, the reaction really does seem to be a big giant "D'waaaaaaa".

Not that I expect this to last.  But it is something I'm struck by, at least when it comes to reaction to this particular clip and I'm wondering if BoxOfficeFangrl is picking up the same vibes I am.

(or maybe I'm just checking out the saner threads/reactions 😉)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Porthos said:

So I know @BoxOfficeFangrl has seen all the buzz about this online, but for folks who haven't been paying attention, the Swift/Kelce romance got a major status update upgrade over the weekend:

Guess she's wasn't just promoting her movie after all. YiBe40t.png

===

Serious comment time:

One thing I was struck by was the lack of toxic comments on many of these threads discussing this.  Far too often there are waaaaaay too many jealous/catty fan-stalker/parasocial reactions to these types of things where folks just flip out in a toxic way over these sorts of PDAs and... well while I'm sure they're out there, the reaction really does seem to be a big giant "D'waaaaaaa".

Not that I expect this to last.  But it is something I'm struck by, at least when it comes to reaction to this particular clip and I'm wondering if BoxOfficeFangrl is picking up the same vibes I am.

(or maybe I'm just checking out the saner threads/reactions 😉)

Maybe the recent sight of Tim Scott (RIP his campaign) and girlfriend offered us everyone some perspective on a public person trying to get positive PR from a romantic pairing, lol.

There will always be the cynics crying, "Fake! I read Deuxmoi and know all about CoNtracT rElaltiOnshipS!" but eh, nothing gets 100 percent approval ratings on the internet. Or maybe Taylor's smackdown about being shipped with female friends sent her worst, most parasocial "fans" retreating to their own private communities of Gaylordom. Anyway...

This weekend in Taylor/Travis was straight out of every cheesy romantic comedy from the nineties/aughts and I lapped up every minute. If they're done by the Super Bowl, so what? It's fun to watch in the meantime.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Maybe the recent sight of Tim Scott (RIP his campaign) and girlfriend offered us all some perspective on a public person trying to get positive PR from a romantic pairing, lol.

There will always be the cynics crying, "Fake! I read Deuxmoi and know all about CoNtracT rElaltiOnships!" but eh,  nothing gets 100 percent approval ratings on the internet. Or maybe Taylor's smackdown about being shipped with female friends sent her worst, most parasocial "fans" retreating to their own private communities of Gaylordom. Anyway...

This weekend in Taylor/Travis was straight out of every cheesy romantic comedy from the nineties/aughts and I lapped up every minute. If they're done by the Super Bowl, so what? It's fun to watch in the meantime.

@Porthos

y’all missed the best one:

https://twitter.com/taylorswiftday_/status/1723720887558353095?s=46

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

2 minutes ago, Cap said:

You know, I think @BoxOfficeFangrl just cracked the code here!

This IS like Every Cheesy Late 90s/Early Aughts RomCom, and for many of us it's a nice piece of comfort food playing out in real time.

Hell, the beginning of it all (Kelce trying to meet her before a show) is a ridiculously contrived (Attempted) Meet Cute that is right out of those romcoms!  Every bit after that is playing just the formula to the hilt.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

This IS like Every Cheesy Late 90s/Early Aughts RomCom, and for many of us it's a nice piece of comfort food playing out in real time.

Hell, the beginning of it all (Kelce trying to meet her before a show) is a ridiculously contrived (Attempted) Meet Cute that is right out of those romcoms!  Every bit after that is playing just the formula to the hilt.

So we are about a week away from Taylor seeing a picture of him with another popstar and not giving him a chance to explain and breaking up and then Kelce running to the airport just before Taylor leaves for the international leg of her tour because we know taking off in a plane means being unreachable forever.

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

There just needs to be a misunderstanding that leads to a temporary breakup, their friends contriving to get them back together, and a public reconciliation (at an airport or her concert/his game), and that'll be everything!

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2023 at 5:05 PM, Porthos said:

I would also add that the Staff are very likely hiding/dealing with the most objectionable posts as soon as they can, so unless one is watching it 24/7, might not even be seeing all the things that have lead to the flood of warnings/thread bans.

Agreed, I have to think some really objectionable posts are not lasting long on the boards.