Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

2 hours ago, ACSlater said:

Folks do know that he was gay right?

At the time without internet.... not all people knew. I'd say a huge percentage then didn't knew or asumed more the orgie kind of mixed bed-fellows drug whatever excess some stars then did or.....

There are a lot of ppl who do like or even love the music of a group/singer without looking into personal details. Counts for today, counts for then even more, as in my POV in times before the www/smart-phones films/pics.... there was less day-to-day flood of personal details about everyone to avoid (as not that into it)

Then also more the usual reaction, as if interested into VIPs life's details, especially that amounted to considerable more work than nowadays. Not everyone reads the 'yellow press', not everyone is as a fan of the creative results (film, books, music,..) also interested into private background. Then that meant to look into used magazines... collecting clippings of whatever detail to find. 

In the US there were then more TV-stations and. like here then too, but not everyone was willing to pay so much for an ~ all access and so on. To me it feels the amount of time ppl sit before a TV, computer, use social media... in its sum increased a lot over the years, way less opportunity to learn such things as a given detail.

If a today's arising star would have 'not-average' life-details it would be known to all, then for the broad population it was wayyyyyy less typical to be obsessed with the little VIP-titbits

Imagine to have liked in the earlier years of singer's/.... career music, later get less and less time / energy to go out of the house for dayncing... see family, children. Children start with another kind of music, prefer as they get older another style, another whatever. As an older parent you can loose for a time the awareness about actual music, other styles, groups , singers rise too, you still might fondly remember the old songs / times .... even enough to watch a movie about singer.... but expect to see more about the music part than the private part, as that was how you approached then the music.

Might be a case of not having thought about what such a movie might contain too to a degree too, who knows.

6 hours ago, ACSlater said:

Folks do know that he was gay right?

I'm pretty sure the guy knew, he just didn't expect to see any of it which is even more silly because the stuff in the movie is pretty tame (like come on, the image of two men kissing lost all of its "shock value" a very long time ago lol) and also rather brief.

Edited by filmlover

Tallahassee, Florida Yoga Studio Mass Shooting Leaves Two Dead, Five Injured

A mass shooter in Tallahassee, Florida killed two people and wounded five on Friday night before killing himself, police said

The shooter, identified as 40-year-old Scott Paul Beierle, opened fire at a yoga studio in the city. No motive for the shootings has been established.

But as bad as that situation was, a worse tragedy may have been averted thanks to the quick actions of an unidentified man who charged the shooter. The unknown hero was pistol-whipped, but the momentary distraction caused the shooter to break-off his attack and apparently commit suicide

https://deadline.com/2018/11/tallahassee-florida-yoga-studio-mass-shooting-leaves-two-dead-five-injured-1202495305/

Scott Beierle, gunman in Tallahassee yoga studio shooting, had history of arrests for grabbing women

One wounded victim was shot nine times in Tallahassee yoga studio shooting

https://eu.tallahassee.com/story/news/2018/11/03/gunman-had-history-arrests-grabbing-women/1871941002/

Shooter was 40

Edited by terrestrial
  • Sad 1

(Spoilers for ASIB in this article) https://ascmag.com/articles/shooting-stars-a-star-is-born

Director of photography Matthew Libatique, ASC was shooting Mother! with longtime collaborator Darren Aronofsky when the director surprised him with some news. “Darren said, ‘Bradley Cooper’s coming up here to talk to you about A Star Is Born,’” Libatique recalls. “It turned out that [Mother! star] Jennifer Lawrence, who had worked with Bradley numerous times, had had a conversation with him because he was looking for a cinematographer, and she was nice enough to recommend me.”

“I’ve always been a massive fan of Matty’s,” Cooper says. “He’s a true artist, and when I asked Jennifer about him, she said he was the best she had ever worked with. After I heard that, I just hoped that he would do it after I met with him and told him my ideas.”

And people STILL be out there trying to diss mother! smdh

31 minutes ago, PANDA said:

My university offered me money from the Koch Foundation to help pay for grad school application fees.  Ultimately, I don’t feel like that’s something I could accept and feel okay about it.

I have money saved up I can use.

TAKE THE FREE MONEY!!!!!!! 

Literally nobody will judge you taking that money.

Damn, Walk the Line is still really, really good. A movie that hits nearly every single music biopic trope shouldn't be this good, but the actors make all of it land gracefully. Even the most obvious foreshadowing bombs feel organic to the narrative and are delivered with conviction.

That said, watching a "meh" DVD transfer from 2006 on an XBox One is... something, that's for sure. 

Edited by Webslinger

3 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

started watching the sabrina show. the fact that miranda otto is the best thing about it got me wondering where fishnets is parking her crazy these days. has she been banned from everywhere?

They should have left her unbanned when the forum did the upgrade. 

5 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Damn, Walk the Line is still really, really good. A movie that hits nearly every single music biopic trope shouldn't be this good, but the actors make all of it land gracefully. Even the most obvious foreshadowing bombs feel organic to the narrative and are delivered with conviction.

That said, watching a "meh" DVD transfer from 2006 on an XBox One is... something, that's for sure. 

Image result for walk hard gif

1 hour ago, MrGamer said:

Image result for walk hard gif

"It's called REEFER!"

I don't think I've ever seen a movie that went so far downhill on a repeat viewing as Walk Hard, though. I enjoyed the hell out of it when I saw it over its opening weekend, but getting through it on DVD was a chore.

2 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

"It's called REEFER!"

I don't think I've ever seen a movie that went so far downhill on a repeat viewing as Walk Hard, though. I enjoyed the hell out of it when I saw it over its opening weekend, but getting through it on DVD was a chore.

6 hours ago, Webslinger said:

so it's just Bad Opinions Day at your house huh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Saw both Can You Ever Forgive Me? and The Nutcracker (P.S. theater was SLAMMED today...does everybody just want an escape from all the midterm coverage?) and my main takeaway was that Richard E. Grant's terrific performance in the former will finally, hopefully open the doors for him getting better work than nothing roles like the one he has in the latter. Hopefully J.J. gave him a good role in Episode 9.

Edited by filmlover