Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Don't let them fool you - ALL of them want to overturn legalization of same sex marriage

That is untrue

Gay Marriage is supported by GOP voters under 40 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_opinion_of_same-sex_marriage_in_the_United_States#By_political_affiliation_by_generation

Abortion is deeply unpopular with republicans and sort of their life long goal to ban it. but they more split on gay marriage. 

Edited by Torontofan

3 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

That is untrue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_opinion_of_same-sex_marriage_in_the_United_States#By_political_affiliation_by_generation

Abortion is deeply unpopular with republicans but they more split on gay marriage. 

When did the Republicans start caring about what their younger voters want?

Texas is already filing a bill to outlaw gay marriage in the state which they hope will be a vehicle to get to the SCOTUS and overturn gay marriage.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

That is untrue

Abortion is deeply unpopular with republicans and sort of their life long goal to ban it. but they more split on gay marriage. 

I think the big issue is you are confusing support from the public with the people in power that can overturn something.  In this case, the SCOTUS has the power to overturn Obergefell just like they did Roe and they will.  Thomas specifically calling out three other cases wasn't an accident.  Those are what they have their sights on next.  How long will it take to get there is the only question I guess.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I think the big issue is you are confusing support from the public with the people in power that can overturn something.  In this case, the SCOTUS has the power to overturn Obergefell just like they did Roe and they will.  Thomas specifically calling out three other cases wasn't an accident.  Those are what they have their sights on next.  How long will it take to get there is the only question I guess.

Yep and in response we have grandpa simpson to lead the progresisve charge

Things are bleak bro, if he runs in 2024 think Desantis can easily beat him

oof

Edited by Torontofan

15 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Yep and in response we have grandpa simpson to lead the progresisve charge

Things are bleak bro, if he runs in 2024 think Desantis can easily beat him

oof

Wouldn't be a Lord Mandeep post without trying to pin things on Democrats when things being screwed up is thanks to the Republicans.

Stop absolving them and deflecting blame and dooming. We know that's your MO but but the shit for a change.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Wouldn't be a Lord Mandeep post without trying to pin things on Democrats when things being screwed up is thanks to the Republicans.

Stop absolving them and deflecting blame and dooming. We know that's your MO but but the shit for a change.

The tendency to defer to establishment norms and not actually trying to fight fire with fire is why democrats are in this position as well.

if you keep bringing a sword to a gun fight, well you lose each time and they let down people who rely and depend on them.

Ofc the GOP is acting bad and evil, but the dem leadership is putting a shit response which is a let down to all of us.

To beat the GOP you need someone with passion and willing to give it all and break norms and instead we have the most pro status quo president possibile lol 

like Joe biden had some balls he would go full nuclear on the senate and the supreme court. There is nothing left to lose, but why would he?

Cause he been in the senate since your parents were born and thinks its hallowed ground or something. 

Edited by Torontofan

56 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Don't let them fool you - ALL of them want to overturn legalization of same sex marriage

Younger Republicans don't care as much about it as the older ones. You can even see that in polls how Gen Z are much more open to gay marriage than older folks. It is mainly these Republican leaders trying to pander to their religious right base with this constant obsession of banning abortion

1 hour ago, Deep Wang said:

Thomas specifically calling out three other cases wasn't an accident.  Those are what they have their sights on next.  How long will it take to get there is the only question I guess.

Yup. Like, I don't want to take too much attention away from Roe v. Wade being struck down and the horrific immediate implications in it, but seeing Obergefell v. Hodges mentioned explicitly in the opinion sent a chill down my spine. They're not hiding their intentions - they're telling everyone what they're coming for. Just like they did for Roe for decades.

The other takeaway from today (asides from the overturning, which is awful) is that we no longer have a SCOTUS. No integrity whatsoever when 2/3 of it is controlled by devout Christian puppets who believe everyone should adhere to an imaginary figure in the sky like they do. I can't even imagine how sad and meaningless my life would have to be to live according to things that aren't even real.

And let's not forget this ruling came one day after they actually expanded gun rights in NYC not even a month after a horrendous school shooting in which several small children senselessly lost their lives. The concept of "life begins in the womb and ends in elementary school" that has become a sickening reality is a total NBD to these folks (and the Republican party in general cause they can't afford to lose one of their biggest donors aka the NRA. If they had balls of any kind they would've severed all ties immediately after Sandy Hook).

Only positive thing I have to say is that I got to hear my mom's (who I'm taking to see Elvis tomorrow) no holds barred rant earlier about Republicans (especially in this state, don't even get her started on DeSatan lol) and the hypocrisy of the ruling coming from "a bunch of sexual predators" (she's not wrong, when two of the Justices have been faced with credible allegations of sexual assault by women...and one of them even being appointed by a disgraced former POTUS who has credible allegations of sexual harassment by several women against him).

16 hours ago, Torontofan said:

The tendency to defer to establishment norms and not actually trying to fight fire with fire is why democrats are in this position as well.

if you keep bringing a sword to a gun fight, well you lose each time and they let down people who rely and depend on them.

Ofc the GOP is acting bad and evil, but the dem leadership is putting a shit response which is a let down to all of us.

To beat the GOP you need someone with passion and willing to give it all and break norms and instead we have the most pro status quo president possibile lol 

like Joe biden had some balls he would go full nuclear on the senate and the supreme court. There is nothing left to lose, but why would he?

Cause he been in the senate since your parents were born and thinks its hallowed ground or something. 

Since you're the expert what does going full nuclear on the senate entail? Like goddamn posts like these make me understand why some of the Democratic base don't bother to vote, a good chunk of it is pathetic

Edited by infamous5445

14 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

lol media brained drone gets owned

Snowden saying "safest election to vote third party" and "decision between Trump and Goldman Sachs" also led us here.

Hopefully Snowden never gets to come back to the US ever just for deleting those tweets and not standing by them to tell us he was wrong.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Snowden saying "safest election to vote third party" and "decision between Trump and Goldman Sachs" also led us here.

Hopefully Snowden never gets to come back to the US ever just for deleting those tweets and not standing by them to tell us he was wrong.

I just can't bring myself to blaming people like Susan Sarandon for Trump, it defies all logic, 2016 has been re-litigated to death.

Democrats can prove right now that they're not the weak and feckless cowards they're often called and abolish the filibuster and make women's rights federal law.   They better do it now before they get BTFO in November.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I just can't bring myself to blaming people like Susan Sarandon for Trump, it defies all logic, 2016 has been re-litigated to death.

Democrats can prove right now that they're not the weak and feckless cowards they're often called and abolish the filibuster and make women's rights federal law.   They better do it now before they get BTFO in November.

I'm actually thinking they lose the house but thanks to the GOP nominating complete idiots in Georgia, Pennsylvania and Arizona, they retain the Senate. 

Also, Manchin will never agree to remove the filibuster, you will need 2 additional Senators. Schumer already put the women's rights bill up for vote 6 weeks ago which failed 48-52.

And it's not about relitigating 2016, it's the people from 2016 still refusing to take responsibility. Everyone from Hillary to Comey to Sarandon to Snowden. Come forward and say "I screwed up". It's simple, but everyone refuses to.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 3