Alli

WEEKEND Thread | 'Jigsaw' -16.2M; TYFYS- 3.7M; Suburbicon- 2.8M

43 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

If Jigsaw follows Saw 3D:

8.5M (5.29x previews)

7.5M (-12.3%)

5.4M (-27.8%)

21.4M Weekend

Considering this is the first Saw in the age of 7 PM previews, who knows how this will fare.

Hmmm, Saw 3D’s Thursday previous were separated from the weekend gross so this projection seems a bit off. 

The multiplier from previews gets Jigsaw to $22.8m. 

23 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

From Deadline:

So in total it cost Paramount 35M. Maybe they can break even OS?

That 10m for P&A was when the decision to go wide or platform had to be made, not the total world P&A that would be particularly low. They would have spent that much on domestic TV alone if not more.

Has for the 25m production budget, 25m are the expense that qualified for California tax credit rebate:

http://film.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/CFC-Approved-Projects-List.pdf

Below the line expense mostly, that 25m figure do not include:

Story Rights - Purchase (Coens and clooney script, not cheap)

Writers

Editors

Producers

Directors

Actors

It will get a tax credit (2.5m reserved has of now) to reduce that 25m below the line cost, but probably not enough to cover that A-list cast/director/writers/producer expense. I imagine that it is at least a 42m gross, 35m net type of movie with an over 20m world P&A, they will maybe scrap their award season budget too, but maybe they gave it to the movie marketing.

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This has been an awful year for Matt Damon. The Great Wall, his link to the Weinstein debacle, and now this.

Those last 2 are probably highly linked...

It's not easy to boycott a big blockbuster over an actor's actions...but a bad indie-like movie...that's easy to stay home from if you want to make a point...

Oh, Jigsaw's number is actually surprising. Of course this is gonna be a frontloaded movie, but I'm impressed regardless. Thank You For Your Service and Suburbicon, on the other hand...... oof.

@filmlover Matt Damon actually has one other movie coming up later this year that will totally fix his credibility, don't worry. And I'm not talking about Downsizing..... :sparta:

Edited by MCKillswitch123

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's not easy to boycott a big blockbuster over an actor's actions...but a bad indie-like movie...that's easy to stay home from if you want to make a point...

I don't think the Weinstein scandal has had any impact on Suburbicon whatsoever. It's just a poorly-reviewed movie that was already a tough sell (dark comedies always are), aimed at an audience (older adults) who pay attention to reviews before parting with their cash. Thus, you're left with virtually no audience.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Matt Damon really didn’t need to get dragged into the whole fiasco. He made a call on behalf of someone else without knowing the nature of the article he was trying to debunk, the author then tweeted something backing up Damon but the damage was already done.

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't think the Weinstein scandal has had any impact on Suburbicon whatsoever. It's just a poorly-reviewed movie that was already a tough sell (dark comedies always are), aimed at an audience (older adults) who pay attention to reviews before parting with their cash. Thus, you're left with virtually no audience.

I don’t think I have even seen any BoycottSuburbicon hot takes either. The movie just doesn’t look that good and the studio knew that which is why marketing was also very low key.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Could have made it hard to have a fun junket that connect with people promoting the movie also, even if it is not a conscious decision.

Maybe Downsizing will save is run, but it is already a 65% on RT.... It could have easily been the complete opposite, a Yimou Zhang, Clooney, Payne movie....

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I don’t think I have even seen any BoycottSuburbicon hot takes either. The movie just doesn’t look that good and the studio knew that which is why marketing was also very low key.

I actually saw plenty of ads the past few weeks. It was the reviews that pretty much completely killed this one.

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Was it particularly low for that type of 2,000 theater release ? It played quite a bit during the live sport events I watched recently.

Oct. 9-15

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/the-snowman-tops-studios-tv-ad-spending-1202591162/

Impressions: 122,963,170
Attention Score: 93.99
Attention Index: 130
National Airings: 269
Networks: 23
Most Spend On: CBS, NBC
Creative Versions: 5
Est. Lifetime TV Spend: $6.96M
Studio: Paramount Pictures
Started Airing: 09/26/17

Will see with how much they will have spend oct 16 to 23, but that spending more than 10 days before release was not too bad I think (in today world).

Someone has an ispotv account to look ?

Edited by Barnack

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Paramount only has domestic for Surbubicon so I’m assuming they didn’t finance it 

Just USA not even full domestic, you are probably right, the tax credit program was filled under Suburbicon, LLC not under paramount picture:

http://film.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/CFC-Approved-Projects-List.pdf

Unlike wikipedia IMDB do not list paramount under production companies, could be an independant movie:

Production Companies

huahua media is a paramount picture-cofinancier of their slate too.

49 minutes ago, AJG said:

This Suburbicon situation makes me wanna dig up George Clooney's Sony leak emails where Amy Pascal had to calm him down for being a bitch about how critics hated his last movie. 

A ) I regret looking. George Clooney actually seems like a really nice guy.

B ) His (now deactivated) screen name when he messages is so fucking brilliant:

Spoiler

BatmanSenior