DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

14 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

You guys are basically asking restaurants to mostly revamp their menu every month instead of offering the popular dishes for loyal costumers on a consitent basis and experimenting on the side.

Yup. And guess what. Those restaurants are almost always better. 

Why should I, a consumer, care about the finances of a billion-dollar studio? 

51 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Why the assholery in response to someone advocating for more originality. It's as if you guys prefer it this way. Brand followers instead of movie fans. 

Futurist always gonna Futurist

26 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Personally my golden age of movies were the 90's.

Movies like Se7en, Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump and The Matrix redifined cinema for me.

I hated the 2000's.

The movies today aren't ground breaking like the 90's but they perfected the nostalgia and fanboy drug unlike the 2000's.

The 2000's tried to play in both sandboxes (art and consumerism) but mastered neither.

Hollywood is learning to scrath every itch but honestly the consumers will always greatly outnumber the film nerds.

For me the nineties were the worst decade in everything movies, music e.t.c 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

To be fair, studios can't tell if nobody gives a shit about a franchise anymore until the movie's already out. I don't think we'll be seeing anymore Pirates movies, but they certainly had sound reasoning for trying to wring one last one out.

Think this will be a watershed year for the tentpole business. Studios have to be a little more cognizant of what people are tired of now that they've had so many franchises disappoint at the box office.

5 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

But I’m not asking anything. I understand why they want franchises. I’m saying at some point, if you don’t spend the R&D to create new ones, the well will eventually run dry. 

They experiment here and there but every experiment is a huge gamble.

Which is the simple reason they're small sample of the yearly output.

And every time yout think they'll run out they strike gold with another cultural phenomenon (recycled or not).

It's definitely the easiest time to be a studio exec for the big three.

The general audience all think like fanboys. All you need is nostalgia and proper execution.

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

To be fair, studios can't tell if nobody gives a shit about a franchise anymore until the movie's already out. I don't think we'll be seeing anymore Pirates movies, but they certainly had sound reasoning for trying to wring one last one out.

Think this will be a watershed year for the tentpole business. Studios have to be a little more cognizant of what people are tired of now that they've had so many franchises disappoint at the box office.

Disney really should've taken the hint with On Stranger Tides. Ditto Paramount this year with The Last Knight. 

6 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

They'll just keep trying to create IPs (even if there's none to be made, as is the case with 99.9% of comedy sequels) until they find one that sticks.

Edited by filmlover

7 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Yup. And guess what. Those restaurants are almost always better. 

Why should I, a consumer, care about the finances of a billion-dollar studio? 

What restaurant revamps their menu every month?

Personally I hate when restaurants get rid of my favorite meal.

I can't be alone either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

For me the nineties were the worst decade in everything movies, music e.t.c 

90’s are the best for me too. 

Teen slasher revival (Scream, H20, I Know, Urban Legend), Jurassic Park, Edward Scissorhands, Sixth Sense, Titanic, Batman Returns, Thelma and Louise, Pretty Woman, Hocus Pocus, Cruel Intentions, My Girl, Empire Records, Stepmom, Candyman, The Faculty, Blair Witch Project, The Craft, Deep Blue Sea, Drop Dead Fred, Jawbreaker. 

BUT I think it all depends on when you were born. I was born in 1987 and these were the films I grew up with. Nostalgia, video stores, rentals etc.

Does anyone remember renting a video for the weekend and watching it more than once when you were a kid??!! Amazing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

Nothing official yet but we already have some nice spin being put on the terrible performance. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/justice-league-box-office-setback-dcs-superhero-universe-1059826

Damn, that's a really terrible spin. I wouldn't have said anything at all, lol.