DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

Just now, Krissykins said:

I tried to watch that most recent Godzilla film twice and fell asleep both times and have never bothered again since. I never fall asleep during films. That one for some reason just lulled me to sleep haha.

Shin Godzilla can be a bit difficult, since most scenes are political talk/the parody of japanese bureaucracy.

Or do you mean the 2014 one?

27 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I know this is gonna be controversial as he makes a lot of assumptions but he is a Producer and film finance consultant so he knows a little bit about what he is talking about

Warner Bros. Faces A Possible $50M To $100M Loss On 'Justice League'

Except all he is doing is taking into account what they're going to lose on the theatrical side of things. Doesn't take into account all the ancillary Revenue they're going to make from this and all of the toys for Christmas and so on and so on. I know none of us really talks with that kind of thing as we are all concerned with the box office but Studios definitely don't sink 300 mill into ar film anymore just for what they're going to make on the theatrical side of things.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

But I’m not asking anything. I understand why they want franchises. I’m saying at some point, if you don’t spend the R&D to create new ones, the well will eventually run dry. 

Just look at paramount. They lost all their major franchises and the ones they still maintain are pretty much over. This year was beyond pitiful.

Seems to be a problem a lot of studios are having. They haven't been investing in as many new prospects lately and now most of their old valuable franchises are hitting that 4-5th installment mark where they are as big, and they have nothing to replace them.

• Like 1

Just now, grey ghost said:

Did you just low key suggest I use hole in the wall restaurants? :kitschjob:

Nope, you just said you couldn't imagine restaurants changing their menus every month:)...heck, I've been to a few who change it every day (the joy of only asking for birthday experiences and not presents:)...

Although, to be fair, some food trucks also change their menu every day by what they find at markets...so it doesn't even have to be high end or Michelin-rated;)...

16 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Except all he is doing is taking into account what they're going to lose on the theatrical side of things. Doesn't take into account all the ancillary Revenue they're going to make from this and all of the toys for Christmas and so on and so on. I know none of us really talks with that kind of thing as we are all concerned with the box office but Studios definitely don't sink 300 mill into ar film anymore just for what they're going to make on the theatrical side of things.

He did include Home video & TV revenue. Also, don't know how reliable that is but he estimated $100m annual profit (off $1b merchandising sales) so they'd need to sell double of what they did last year (already boosted by BvS) to break even on that "$100m loss". 

I know most of it is definitely reaching but it illustrates the point that they'll barely make profit (if any) of a fucking Justice League movie while SH movies are at their peak. 

1 hour ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

But I’m not asking anything. I understand why they want franchises. I’m saying at some point, if you don’t spend the R&D to create new ones, the well will eventually run dry. 

Like James Bond and Star Wars  you mean ?

Yeah, those 40, 50 yo franchises have run their courses I agree.

Well my wife just informed me that 5 star restaurants do completely change their menu frequently.

But...

5 star restaurant = quality Oscar bait

Texas Roadhouse = mega popular franchises, successful original

Applebees = okay franchises

Burger King = dying franchises

You can't expect Oscar bait (5 star restaurants) to dominate the industry.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1