DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

10 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

BVS first Saturday had a brutal drop ( almost 38% ) from first Friday. SS first Saturday had a 40% drop from first Friday.

It seems JL is much less frontloaded than BVS and SS. They better hope this movie has better legs than BVS and SS. 

BvS was Good Friday and had $27.8m in previews. 

SS had that free ticket promotion for Thur Previews with ATT (?). 

It only did $13m in previews but  looks to wind up with about a 7.23 multiplier. 

In comparison for other recent Nov openings - Thor 3's was 8.46, Strange's - 9 and Fantastic Beasts - 8.5

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

33m is 15% drop from Friday. Fantastic Beast had a 11.5% drop last year. FB managed a 30% drop on Sunday. I doubt Jl matches or does better than that. An opening around 93m seems likely. 

I think its safe to say 100m is out of the window completely if that 32-33 number stays (unless WB pulls off a fudge of epic proportions). 

Hey at least its not stooped down to a 80-90 m opening. Small Victories I suppose

Not that I really want to but we will be contributing another $40 towards JL's box office.

Doing a couple's evening with some friends and we are the only ones who have seen JL. 

Who knows? Maybe I will like it a bit more this time around.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

The True Friday just wasn't good, obviously. 

This is reminds me of a ballplayer at his locker after a loss. Bring Affleck out Monday on the lot: "Ben, what was your reaction to the numbers?" "Tough, you know? You go out there and try to make the right movie, and sometimes your location is off. It's unfortunate. We had a nice Saturday bump, but that opening day hurt us. We'll be ready to go tomorrow."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At $33m, that is about a 28% increase from true Friday. Good jump, but not enough to put it in position for a nice fudge job from WB to reach $100m weekend tomorrow morning. They would have to report a Sunday projection of only 14.5% drop, which is delusional for this time of year. Guess we should not be surprised if they do it anyway, knowing full well that the actual will be around 30% drop.

Just now, RichWS said:

This is reminds me of a ballplayer at his locker after a loss. Bring Affleck out Monday on the lot: "Ben, what was your reaction to the numbers?" "Tough, you know? You go out there and try to make the right movie, and sometimes your location is off. It's unfortunate. We had a nice Saturday bump, but that opening day hurt us. We'll be ready to go tomorrow."

This is pretty good but I need to see the phrase "Mental toughness" and "adversity"

Gronk is a national treasure for flipping the script with mental toughness so in celebration of Thanksgiving I give you this:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Noctis said:

$32m-$33m...still shit.

$92m OW

Basically...it needs three days + 6 hours to do what DH2 did in just one day...WITH inflation.

not-sorry.gif

To be fair, Deathly Hallows 2 was an event movie after all.

54 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

Winning 10m in the lottery is awesome.   But not really so awesome if you bought 15m worth of lottery tickets to do it.

I agree, but that's not the situation with these BvS/JL discussions here. WB made a $100m profit off of BvS, but by the hysteria around here you'd have thought they did the equivalent of spending $15m to make $10m. 

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

At $33m, that is about a 28% increase from true Friday. Good jump, but not enough to put it in position for a nice fudge job from WB to reach $100m weekend tomorrow morning. They would have to report a Sunday projection of only 14.5% drop, which is delusional for this time of year. Guess we should not be surprised if they do it anyway, knowing full well that the actual will be around 30% drop.

The spins already happening with OS numbers where JL Friday OD figures in certain countries are touted as better than Ragnarok ODs on Monday/Tuesday and the likes. 

The WW numbers report tomorrow will be fun. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

For a movie that cost 300m (most recent reports), plus another 150m in marketing, which would necessitate a break even point of around 800m; No, 95m is not a good opening. Extrapolate that opening and you get a domestic run that will end around 250m, and overseas isn't looking like it will make up the balance.

Nice try at spin, though.

No, it's too early to tell if it will make money or not. Jury is still out but folks like you are acting like a financial bath is in the bag. 

Just now, SteveJaros said:

No, it's too early to tell if it will make money or not. Jury is still out but folks like you are acting like a financial bath is in the bag. 

are you from WB's PR department or something. cause otherwise there is literally no reason for you to be this invested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

If break even is $750M...and I'm betting it is...it's gonna be a struggle to get there without a big international pick up...and that's just break even...

Look, I'm a huge fan...it pains me to write these words, but they are true...

To imagine JL might be a just break even movie is a disaster of my own expectations...and it might not even break even...

I mean, other movies lose money, but not ones you think are literally money in the bank...and JL just should have been money in the bank...

Just shows you can't take fans for granted - 2 movies that didn't cost more than $20M each are taking huge cuts out of JL's family audience this weekend and both will be in the green by Thanksgiving weekend...and these 2 movies almost no one talked about or considered...til we saw this weekend play out...between being zero sum with Thor and now losing families and women over 25, it's just gone from bad to worse...

Now you know...if you're a super, don't open against a family movie...

I agree, if the rumors are true and it costs $450m production and marketing, and needs a $900m break-even, that will be very tough to reach. But those are rumors. 

A $95m DOM OW doesn't mean the film will lose money, jury is still out so why not wait until more returns come in before declaring  a disaster? I suspect it's because of haters eager to be gleeful - though you've proven not to be one of those. 

• Like 4