DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

No, but it's as badly timed as JL is (and worse, now that a 2nd family movie hit 4 days prior to its opening)...that may have an affect - last time I checked, we talk about that here:)...

JL isn't just badly timed, it's a not a good film coming off the back of a couple of rotten films and people who went gaga over WW weren't enough to give the DCEU a reset button.  It's still also a film that's going to make $200m+ even while another of the same genre makes $300m+   

Wonder isf it breaks out is going to open - maybe in the $20s.  That's not going to strongly affect Coco - the first big animated film in a while.  What will affect it is if the reviews aren't good (so far they're very good) or people just aren't interested.  Not because Wonder or The Star made some money.

• Like 3

When was the last time a cbm sequel decreased from predecessor's opening? Can't think of anything except APOC (65.8) going down 27.5% from DOFP (90.8).

100-110 would be a 34-40% drop from 166.

Not sure how JL is performing overseas, but I keep seeing tons of sellouts here in Brazil.  It's crazy.

Warner Bros Brazil made a good job and they promoted the movie really well. I see advertising everywhere, including bus stops. Hell, even some restaurants are changing the names of some meals. I've already seen Wonder Salad, Flash Pizza, Aqua drink and Super combo ( super hamburger + Green soda ).  No Cyborg reference, though. :)

Edited by Blaze Heatnix

45 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I'm not just talking about JL though, I'm talking about the previews numbers for the others too. Was GOTG Vol 2 a lot higher? Logan? I can't remember.

Yeah...thinking back, there weren't a ton of people in my screening of Homecoming either. Saw all of them on Thursday night.

Preview numbers can be hard to find (not on mojo, the-numbers.com,etc...)

That website has most of the recent movies

http://www.boxofficereport.com/previewgrosses.html

Guardian 2: $17.00M

Spider Man: $15.4M

Thor: 14.5M

JL: 13.0M

Logan: 9.5M

Transforming Man of Steel 2 into BvS is the most stupid Hollywood decision in a LONG time.

It will haunt Warner Bros. for years to come ...

It  s like they broke their shiny toys on purpose.

We all know Justice League should have been the mother of movie event for Warner since the first Harry Potter and the two Dark Knights.

And yet, here we are.

We done guys.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

When was the last time a cbm sequel decreased from predecessor's opening? Can't think of anything except APOC (65.8) going down 27.5% from DOFP (90.8).

That was technically the last time, but if you can't think of anything besides that, there's this movie called Avengers: Age Of Ultron that did take a big dip from the 1st one. Also, The Wolverine decreased from X-Men Origins: Wolverine, if we count it as a sequel to XMO.

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Preview numbers can be hard to find (not on mojo, the-numbers.com,etc...)

That website has most of the recent movies

http://www.boxofficereport.com/previewgrosses.html

Guardian 2: $17.00M

Spider Man: $15.4M

Thor: 14.5M

JL: 13.0M

Logan: 9.5M

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l98WO6oUuT0o_HRXZWZ5oOKEiAIluseRbYyBevWJY-E/edit#gid=0

This is the master doc, put together by someone from HSX.

(The link is in our Numbers and Data archive thread.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

Avengers --> AOU  

The overwhelming majority of CBM sequels in the last 5 years though have been from the MCU 

ASM2 would have if the first one didn't open on a Monday and both decreased from SM3

• Like 3

Just now, Squadron Leader Tele said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l98WO6oUuT0o_HRXZWZ5oOKEiAIluseRbYyBevWJY-E/edit#gid=0

This is the master doc, put together by someone from HSX.

(The link is in our Numbers and Data archive thread.)

yep, there have been no movies released in theaters since Bad Santa 2.

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

That was technically the last time, but if you can't think of anything besides that, there's this movie called Avengers: Age Of Ultron that did take a big dip from the 1st one. Also, The Wolverine decreased from X-Men Origins: Wolverine, if we count it as a sequel to XMO.

Indi-film, AOU yes. Dropped about 8%.

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

JL isn't just badly timed, it's a not a good film coming off the back of a couple of rotten films and people who went gaga over WW weren't enough to give the DCEU a reset button.  It's still also a film that's going to make $200m+ even while another of the same genre makes $300m+   

Wonder isf it breaks out is going to open - maybe in the $20s.  That's not going to strongly affect Coco - the first big animated film in a while.  What will affect it is if the reviews aren't good (so far they're very good) or people just aren't interested.  Not because Wonder or The Star made some money.

It's not just money - although that hurts...

Now that Wonder was so unexpected by the main reviewer world, it's also gonna become a story...and that story/press will take away some good press Coco is gonna hope for...and people may put that up on their lists for next weekend and theaters now will keep full screens for it...

It's a cascade effect in an already tight market...Coco is releasing after 6 movies have done well in 3 weeks (and 1 Christmas animated movie not doing as well won't be dropped).  Bad Moms, Thor, DH2, MOE, JL, and Wonder - all still will pull screens and viewers, and it leaves Coco in a much less advantaged spot than previous Thanksgiving day week Pixar movies have had...

And worse, they won't have as much time as previous Pixar movies to find its footing b/c SW8 will take over in just 3 weeks from it...

Perfect storm for bad timing (its placement between JL and SW8, its already passed holiday focus) and bad circumstances (movies actually hit and were good in front of it and will be keeping their screens, and worse one was an unexpected premier material family one, just like Coco is)...

Didn't we talk just a few months ago about how Valerian screwed itself by opening against 2 other premier concepts the same weekend in a stuffed market after there were tons of movies who did well and needed screens?  Yes, Valerian was anything but great (and it's not Pixar), so it doesn't completely apply...but screens and showings are screens and showings, and if Coco gets only split-screened 2d/3d at all 12s and below (which is the current set at all my locals for now), it's looking at $50M or less for Thanksgiving weekend just b/c that's all you can get in that set up...

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Age of Ultron, The Wolverine, Kick Ass 2, Blade: Trinity, The Crow: City of Angels, Incredible Hulk did less than Hulk but I do not think they were sequel, Superman 3, superman 4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Not sure how JL is performing overseas, but I keep seeing tons of sellouts here in Brazil.  It's crazy.

Warner Bros Brazil made a good job and they promoted the movie really well. I see advertising everywhere, including bus stops. Hell, even some restaurants are changing the names of some meals. I've already seen Wonder Salad, Flash Pizza, Aqua drink and Super combo ( super hamburger + Green soda ).  No Cyborg reference, though. :)

Brazil is the one territory where it seems to be going crazy.

It's also doing well in Indonesia and seems to be doing a bit less OD in China than BvS

It's down from BvS's opening  in South Korea, Hong Kong, France, Italy, Russia, Germany, Australia (mostly in the 25-50% range)

• Like 1