Plain Old Tele

Death on the Nile | Feb 11, 2022 | Branagh returns as star/director/moustache model | Armie Hammer is sadly in this | Will release in China

https://deadline.com/2021/03/armie-hammer-sex-scandal-death-on-the-nile-release-date-change-lapd-1234720509/

I’m told the release date has nothing to do with Hammer, who is under investigation by the LAPD on rape claims that could put The Social Network actor in jail for eight years if tried and found guilty. That said, the new date provides Disney with close to a year in regard to rethinking any form of its marketing campaign, that is if the movie sticks to its theatrical date.

I hear from sources that there aren’t any plans to pull an All the Money in the World with Death on the Nile. My understanding is that it would be hard to pull that off with Hammer’s Simon Doyle role in Death on the Nile given the movie’s huge ensemble. Following Spacey’s sex scandal, his 2018 movie Billionaire Boys Club was buried on PVOD. No news yet if Death on the Nile is headed to streaming.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

I love Branagh, love Christie, LOVE Death on the Nile (becoming increasingly convinced that it's her best), but it's time for a dump. Another year's wait isn't going to help this situation in the slightest. 

They're waiting to see what the outcome of the LAPD's investigation is (and perhaps crossing their fingers that nobody else in this becomes the center of controversy until then, since the Letitia mess was right before all this started). This was always really going for international money anyway so worst comes to worst it will be released overseas in theaters and dumped on Hulu here in the US since this is probably the only country he's actually famous in.

Funny to think that Kenneth's next movie will see the light of day before this does though. Belfast sounds like the right production for him to take on following back-to-back cursed projects.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, filmlover said:

They're waiting to see what the outcome of the LAPD's investigation is (and perhaps crossing their fingers that nobody else in this becomes the center of controversy until then, since the Letitia mess was right before all this started). This was always really going for international money anyway so worst comes to worst it will be released overseas in theaters and dumped on Hulu here in the US since this is probably the only country he's actually famous in.

Funny to think that Kenneth's next movie will see the light of day before this does though. Belfast sounds like the right production for him to take on following back-to-back cursed projects.

These companies need to sack up and stop pandering to the outrage machine. Actors don't have to be role models, particularly in a movie like Death on the Nile. Just release it. There's no reason to "dump" it because one actor may or may not be a criminal, or because another actor has bunk ideas about vaccines. 

• Thanks 1

Hammer has been found out to be abusive to lovers and this is a nasty, violent story about toxic love. It's really not something that can just be shrugged off - it's right there, and Hammer's character is right in the centre of it (along with Gadot's and Mackey's characters).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

It's really not something that can just be shrugged off - it's right there,

Depending of the character played it does not necessarily need to, think Kevin Spacey and House of Card, many people watched it knowing the rumors or when it got out in the media, it does not necessarily at the detriment of the subjective experience to know that the person playing the horrible president had that criminal past.

If he was a big name and playing Mister Rogers, we could imagine it hurting the box office, but a c-b lister in a who did the murder mystery ? A bit like Johnny Depp not being an issue to the subjective experience of the previous entry (well it was a really small role), maybe it does not need to here as well.

This is destined to get dumped on Netflix, which is probably for the best. Disney gets millions doing nothing, this will inexplicably hit #1 on Netflix for like a weekend, Branagh probably gets some Netflix deal. Everybody's happy.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2021 at 9:16 PM, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

This is destined to get dumped on Netflix, which is probably for the best. Disney gets millions doing nothing, this will inexplicably hit #1 on Netflix for like a weekend, Branagh probably gets some Netflix deal. Everybody's happy.

uh, im sure this is better than 99,9% of the crap movies netflix releases so not inexplicably

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

Some day studios will realize that 90% of America never hears about these tabloid/controversy stories and they'll stop changing release/marketing strategies just because one person fucked up. 

Exactly this. I never knew there was any controversy surrounding Arnie Hammer except for a few comments on this site. No-one cares how he is with his girlfriends, not really our business is it.

Kevin Spacey is apparently a bad man, doesn't stop me from revisiting his films. I'm not going to stop watching Amber Heard movies because she's a bitch, most of us simply aren't that petty.

As for Arnie Hammer, the complaints are a joke. I'm not going to judge someone by their private dirty text messages we had no business viewing anyways. I'm willing to be 90% of Hollywood actors are hypocritical assholes, I'll still watch their films. This cancel culture mentality needs to stop as it doesn't help anyone 

3 hours ago, Chicago said:

Exactly this. I never knew there was any controversy surrounding Arnie Hammer except for a few comments on this site. No-one cares how he is with his girlfriends, not really our business is it.

Kevin Spacey is apparently a bad man, doesn't stop me from revisiting his films. I'm not going to stop watching Amber Heard movies because she's a bitch, most of us simply aren't that petty.

As for Arnie Hammer, the complaints are a joke. I'm not going to judge someone by their private dirty text messages we had no business viewing anyways. I'm willing to be 90% of Hollywood actors are hypocritical assholes, I'll still watch their films. This cancel culture mentality needs to stop as it doesn't help anyone 

I really just wish phrases like "Cancel Culture" and "Woke" would just be erased from existence because they've overstayed their welcome. And look, sometimes people need to be called out on their bullshit or otherwise problematic behaviors, it isn't always "cancel culture". Some people do get bent out of shape over trivial stuff but there are times I wish people wouldn't let certain things slide just because a person is famous or they don't care what happens in other people's lives.

There are some people who can separate the art from the artist and those that can't or don't want to; I can see the merit of both ways of thinking, but pulling out that "cancel culture" card whenever there's a controversy regarding a famous person is getting old at this point.

• Like 2