Plain Old Tele

Death on the Nile | Feb 11, 2022 | Branagh returns as star/director/moustache model | Armie Hammer is sadly in this | Will release in China

5 hours ago, Kalo said:

That seems a bit low. the last one made over $100m. yeah box office is different now, but I expect this to open to high-teens/low twenties tbh.

I'm being conservative because almost every movie aimed at adult audiences has opened under $10 million since the start of the pandemic, so even low teens would be an overperformance for Death On the Nile in this scenario. But I hope you're right.

• Like 1

To be honest, even if everything went right and there was no pandemic and it came out in 2020 and Disney wasn't in charge, this was destined to drop like a rock. The first movie saw "eh" reception, this novel's nowhere near as iconic as Orient Express, the cast (Gal aside, don't throw rocks at me) is nowhere near as exciting or starry. There's just zero hook or appeal to this one.

The huge international share for the previous movie (over 70% of its total was from outside the U.S.) was probably always the reason why they decided to make a sequel more than faith in having a long-running franchise on their hands.

I'll take my mom to see this because she really wants to, but I didn't even like Murder on the Orient Express and never thought this one looked any less bland, so...

On 1/19/2022 at 10:12 AM, Napoleon said:

This would have been a big hit in a world without covid. It was coming out in 2020, when everyone still loved Shuri and wanted to date Armie Hammer, and Gal Gadot would've just had a big global box office hit with Wonder Woman 1984. It would easily overcome the mediocre reception to Murder On the Orient Express.

I'm kinda hyped to see this still.

Nobody knew who he was, cmon now.  Stop acting like he is a Jacob Elordi 

29 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Nobody knew who he was, cmon now.  Stop acting like he is a Jacob Elordi 

Everything's relative.  Without Googling, I never heard of this guy, either!  But I was very aware of Hammer for years.  

4 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

Hold on... did this actually cost $90m???? Murder on the Orient Express cost $55m. How on earth did this cost that much more??

The first did $300m WW so producers, and Branagh as director and actor would get a fee hike.  Orient mainly took place on a set where as Nile demanded more locations.  But then this film overall also had lower profile actors who should have been paid less.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, excel1 said:

Stop acting like he is a Jacob Elordi

Gonna go out on a limb and say that to anyone under 21, Armie is more known than Elordi who has literally only notably been in THREE(!) Netflix teen movies and Euphoria

Edited by thedast

On 1/22/2022 at 9:37 AM, Maggie said:

I don't watch that show, so i have no idea who the guy is. Armi Hammer is way more famous. @excel1has some crazy actors who he hypes up

How do you measure fame ?

Hammer has 1.4m instagram follower. Elordi has 11.5m. Hammer may be a name more people would recognize, but Elordi has a much, much larger actual "fanbase" of people who get excited to see him in projects.  

17 minutes ago, excel1 said:

How do you measure fame ?

Hammer has 1.4m instagram follower. Elordi has 11.5m. Hammer may be a name more people would recognize, but Elordi has a much, much larger actual "fanbase" of people who get excited to see him in projects.  

It's been proven time and time again that number of social media followers is pretty much meaningless for the most part. For example, Vin Diesel is one of the most followed people on Instagram, and yet all his non-Fast/non-Marvel movies tend to bomb. These people may be large in numbers, but they're also cheap too.

Edited by filmlover

37 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's been proven time and time again that number of social media followers is pretty much meaningless for the most part. For example, Vin Diesel is one of the most followed people on Instagram, and yet all his non-Fast/non-Marvel movies tend to bomb. These people may be large in numbers, but they're also cheap too.

Sure, on the other hand, Vin Diesel cast as Lex Luthor would generate a lot more excitement than your average actor. A "social media famous" person in a big role is bigger than anon social media person in the same role. Just watch what happens with Noah Centineo this summer with Black Adam.

Phoenix is not a box office draw whatsoever in 99% of the roles he chooses. Star power only goes so far now. But rest assured, JOKER 2 would/will be a huge hit thanks to him in the role. "Jacob Elordi cast as Superman" could generate way more buzz and excitement than "Armie Hammer cast as Superman" would have pre-scandal. 

Hammer is just one of many generic handsome white guys from the 2000s. There is no fanbase whatsoever there. 

Edited by excel1