Eric Duncan

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

1 minute ago, RandomCat said:

Today's the big change over, no? Wonder how that's going.

Well, the good news is that new releases aren't being blacked out, since I can see Crazy Rich Asians.

The bad news is that I can only choose between that or The Meg.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RandomCat said:

You know, someone made a nice penny on buying these stocks a year ago, and selling them a few months ago. I regret I did not.

I regret the other way around (not having shorting it before Avengers and co. launch the summer season they almost certainly couldn't survive).

41 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Well, the good news is that new releases aren't being blacked out, since I can see Crazy Rich Asians.

Same here. Why can I suddenly not see MI:F when I could the last two days? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Just looked at my app and the only movies I’ve got are Cristopher Robin and Crazy Rich Asians. The Meg was on there the previous two days

movies line-up

Wednesday 08/15: Crazy Rich Asians, Christopher Robins, The Miseducation of Cameron Post, Skate Kitchen, Summer of 84

Thursday 08/16: Blackkklansman, The Meg, The Miseducation of Cameron Post, Skate Kitchen, Summer of 84, We the Animals, Juliet Naked

Friday 08/17: Christopher Robin, Mile 22, The Miseducation of Cameron Post, Skate Kitchen, Summer of 84, We the Animals, Juliet Naked

Saturday 08/18: Alpha, Slender man, The Miseducation of Cameron Post, Skate Kitchen, Summer of 84, We the Animals, Juliet Naked

Sunday 08/19: Crazy Rich Asians, Blackkklansman, The Miseducation of Cameron Post, Skate Kitchen, Summer of 84, We the Animals, Juliet Naked

Monday 08/20: The Meg, Mile 22, The Miseducation of Cameron Post, Skate Kitchen, Summer of 84, We the Animals, Juliet Naked

Tuesday 08/21: Crazy Rich Asians, Mile 22, The Miseducation of Cameron Post, Skate Kitchen, Summer of 84, We the Animals, Juliet Naked

Wednesday 08/22: Alpha, Blackkklansman, The Miseducation of Cameron Post, Skate Kitchen, Summer of 84, We the Animals, Juliet Naked

Edited by Ryan Reynolds

Like you think they would've made most of their options films that people have actually heard of. I had no clue what Skate Kitchen or Summer of 84 or We the Animals were until I saw that list. Way to go, MoviePass.

Edited by filmlover

So this seems to be a pretty concise explanation on just what the hell happened with folks getting put into the new service plan despite cancelling their service:

"Shady as hell" is pretty much the perfect description here. 

I was wondering just what was happening and why it was semi-random.  I figured it was some sort of configuration setting catching folks, but I have to admit a Stealth Renew via I Accept button didn't enter my thinking.

Pretty fucking shady, MoviePass. :sadno:

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

Like you think they would've made most of their options films that people have actually heard of. I had no clue what Skate Kitchen or Summer of 84 or We the Animals were until I saw that list. Way to go, MoviePass.

Why would they do that? The ones people have heard of are what are losing them money

• Like 1

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

Mess.com

Yes, but let's acknowledge that it is rather remarkable that Moviepass is still in existence, at least as of this writing. The last month or so it has taken 3 or 4 blows, each of which was seemingly fatal, and yet has staggered on zombie-like in spite of it all.  Nobody can say that MP has a glass jaw, LOL.

Edited by SteveJaros

On 8/15/2018 at 10:44 AM, CoolEric258 said:

AMC's A-List has to be rising as a viable option. E.g., since I joined A-List on July 29, I've seen 10 movies using it, including four in the "IMAX" format, and all as soon as they were released including Mission Impossible, The Meg, Alpha (which was amazing in IMAX 3D, and 2001 (ditto in 2 D). That's about $90 worth of movies for the $20 price, and I still have a couple days left.

This is how much I've done with A List so far:

The First Purge: $4.50

Sicario 2: $4.50

Skyscraper: $7.30

Unfriended 2: $4.50

Mission Impossible: $4.50

Christopher Robin: $8.90

Teen Titans Go!: $4.50

Spy Who Dumped Me: $7.30

Month 1 Total: $46

The Meg: $4.50

Alpha 3D: $7.70

Crazy Rich Asians: $7.30

Month 2 Total so far: $19.50

I only need to see one more movie by September 11 to be in a gain. Even though I've been super burnt out on movies lately, I'm sure I'll see something soon (Klansman probably). Even if I don't see a movie by my renewal date, I still took advantage of my first month so much that I couldn't see anything in my third month and still get away with paying less than I would've out of pocket :lol: 

• Like 1