Eric Duncan

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

On 9/20/2018 at 6:03 PM, DMan7 said:

What's the ETA on all movies from studios going to their respective streaming services and there will no longer be any movies or theaters anymore?

If I had to guess absolutely never. Subscription model will expand considerably. Crazy people spend $50 to finance an iPhone XS, $25 for unlimited movies is so cheap in comparison.

3 minutes ago, YLF said:

WTF is a "teaser rate" lmaooooo

It's to lure people into buying $120 pass for a year

MoviePass, which has experimented with a range of subscription schemes in recent months, is rolling out an “uncapped” movie-per-day plan that will be $9.95 for those who pay for 12 months in advance.

Also the fine print...

While the press release announcing the new plan touts it as “uncapped,” there are some restrictions. Subscribers can see only 2D films within the MoviePass network, which spans about 30,000 U.S. screens, and the release noted that ticketing is “subject only to managing network demand and availability as detailed in the MoviePass terms of use.” It also described the available offerings as a “large selection of blockbusters and independent films,” which is more cautious language than the “see anything” stance of 2018.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CloneWars said:

Sinemia is out of business officially, the same day EG came out.

The reports I've read say Sinemia has shut down "in the USA". I believe it is also operating in the UK and Canada, so maybe someone who subscribes in those countries (or others) can say if it is still operating there?

MoviePass has suspended its service.  Temporarily, allegedly.

Also:

MoviePass has been struggling for more than a year. The subscription went from having more than 3 million members to around 225,000 in April 2019, according to Variety, which was first to report the service had been suspended. It’s unclear if an app revamp can actually help the company stay afloat.

Not sure if I agree with the premise that offering to pay hundreds of dollar of cinema ticket for $10 a month and nothing else was such a great idea that failed because of execution and/or customer service.

Lot of people that knew or lived the terrible customer service experience stayed because of how good the offer was.

A better executed with a better service that would have more delivered on is promise (and not mysteriously stop to work the weekend Avengers get in theater) would have probably run out of money and closed much sooner.

Outside some sort of fraud/blackmail attempt that maybe did work, it was not a good idea.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

If it ends its been a good run.  the last few months it has worked really well.  Have seen most anything i wanted and very few outages..  Seeing 2-3 movies a month it  has been a great deal while it lasted..  It has been almost a yr since i had any issues using it for finding movies to watch. 

It's done. It's over. They are just saying they will come back so people don't freak out and do charge backs. They aren't coming back.

In other news, Regal will likely roll out a subscription service by the end of this month.

Edited by CloneWars

17 hours ago, Porthos said:

MoviePass has suspended its service.  Temporarily, allegedly.

Also:

Well, when you change your policies every fucking day and run a shady business of reactivating people's accounts after they've cancelled of course you're going to see membership dwindle big time. 

• Like 2

In fact, AMC Theater’s own subscription-based program, Stubs A-List, has more than 860,000 members as of the end of June, Cinemark’s Movie Club has more than 500,000 subscribers and Regal Cinemas is set to launch its own unlimited movie ticket subscription.

This is great info all around...current subscription numbers as of July 1, and news that Regal is FINALLY becoming a player in the subscription business...

Moviepass's legacy will be the same as Napster's was in the music industry 20 years ago - the flawed idea that knocked the doors down and created a new delivery model for an industry.

Subscriptions services are likely here to stay, and MP paved the way. 

On a personal level, I have been an AMC A-Lister for almost a year now, and am extremely happy with it.

Edited by SteveJaros