Eric Duncan

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

So, Cinemark is feeling the pressure from A-List...just this morning, I received an email for TWO free months of Cinemark's plan...this is one more month than they've been offering all summer.  And you can cancel at the end and just enjoy the 2 free tickets.  I'm trying to decide if I'll spring for that, or wait to see if it gets to 3 months free if I wait a few more months (a free fall date night might be fun, though)...or if Regal will get off their butts...

• Like 1

On 9/1/2018 at 9:08 AM, TwoMisfits said:

So, Cinemark is feeling the pressure from A-List...

I can believe this, because my town has a Cinemark and two AMC theaters. I see a lot of movies, average about 11 a month over the past 10 years, and historically I have gone to about 7 of them at the two AMCs and 4 of them at Cinemark. 

But since joining A-List almost two months ago, it has been a wipe-out: I've been to 22 movies at the AMCs and ZERO at Cinemark. And for next week I've already booked my three A-list movies as well.

A-List has been a dream for me, I have not upped the amount of movies I see, I've just dramatically cut my cost to see them. In August, i spent $21 (the A-list fee with tax) to see 12 movies instead of $92 (what it would have cost), a savings of $71 just that month. And September isn't even over yet and I've already saved $58 to see nine movies, with more savings to tally next week. At this rate, the annual cost of A-list ($240) will be covered by the end of next month, my third, so for the next 9 months I will effectively see movies for "free", and barring some calamity i will see about 90 of them.

Cinemark simply has no plan that is comparable to this.

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

sinemia having a movie a day deal for 29.99, may be good deal in urban areas where prices are $15+ while it last

Not sure Sinemia is the answer...while they have the only family plan, it's a family plan for morons b/c adding each additional person costs more than just have separate accounts.

1 person for 3 movies/month is $9.99...

6 people for 3 movies/month is $82.99...

And the idiocy goes from there across the plans...right now, they are trying to be the less well known, but still as annoying to use, Moviepass...I had hopes the family plans might inspire some of the chains to try something reasonable, but even Sinemia's isn't reasonable...

1 hour ago, upprdeck said:

and Why do people think this model will last any better than the moviepass one when you take advantage of it like this?

Theater chain program has a big advantage over a movie pass, they pay the studio not the studio + theater, so the giant heavy user just cost them half of what MP would pay and they have the extra concession sales if they occurs.

32 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Theater chain program has a big advantage over a movie pass, they pay the studio not the studio + theater, so the giant heavy user just cost them half of what MP would pay and they have the extra concession sales if they occurs.

That's what I'd love to see #s on, if concession sales have noticeably ticked up for AMC.

I know if i go to a movie not likely to by food because its so expensive.. if i go with the family we may buy a drink/popcorn to share.. since most of these tools  really work best as a single user how much of a change in concession sails will they see?  regal gives me some free food every so often and that does get me to buy something, but not more often if the food wasn't so over priced.. if a drink was $2 instead of $4 i might buy it every time instead of 1 in 10..   Same for popcorn, Look at what the Falcons did by pricing food at a decent level, food sales went crazy and so did profits on food.. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, upprdeck said:

really work best as a single user how much of a change in concession sails will they see?

Hard to predict long term, concession sales are so high because ticket price are high, in dollar theater the price are much much lower for food and drinks. Changing the pricing model could change for how much they achieve to price food.

Short term should have a tick.

57 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

That's what I'd love to see #s on, if concession sales have noticeably ticked up for AMC.

AMC breakdown revenues for admission and concession, that was second quarter (3 month ending june 30):

http://investor.amctheatres.com/Cache/1001240603.PDF?O=PDF&T=&Y=&D=&FID=1001240603&iid=4171292

Admissions $ 896.3

Food and beverage 445.8

Concession sales tend to be a bit under half of the admissions sales for AMC, if there is a noticeable change it should show up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, upprdeck said:

and Why do people think this model will last any better than the moviepass one when you take advantage of it like this?

I haven't made any mental predictions about whether A-List will last or not, I am just enjoying it while it does. And one reason I signed up was that AMC guaranteed that the $20 price would not change for 12 months, so I don't have to worry about my chain getting jerked like Moviepass did with its subscribers.

1 hour ago, DMan7 said:

What's the ETA on all movies from studios going to their respective streaming services and there will no longer be any movies or theaters anymore?

Hum hard to say, probably not before some major society / techno change:

MPAA-Global-Box-Office-Revenues-2013-201

It is now an over 40b business, the double of what it was 15 year's ago (versus a 37% inflation):

box-edited.jpg?ssl=1

Would need the growth to stop, a decline to start and after that could still be couple of decades before it get to a niche level.

The late 60s/70s were much rougher and "end of movie theater talk" than now (specially that the medium exploded those last 15 year's).

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Will never happen, most people like to go out on occasion.

Never totally happen, but would it get to be a bit niche like theater is right now.

Kind of happened for watching painting, theater and going to the opera (that was a very popular medium at one point, with the working class going to them).

Society will always need something for people that are not really at ease or want to talk to each other to be able to still do together, but it could become something else.

That there still will be a movie theater experience as we can recognize it as such in the year 3,850 is not certain at all (even without some ecological or other destruction of standard of living reasons).

WTF? I cancelled my moviepass back in July. Now, they're trying to charge me if I dont opt out of a plan? how is that possible. Insane. Such an unethical company. Also, they literally said if you didnt opt in to the new 3 movie format your plan was "cancelled" not suspended. 

2lne33a.jpg

2iuc74o.jpg

bfnkhe.png

• Like 1

MoviePass Losses Higher Than Previously Disclosed

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/moviepass-losses-are-higher-previously-disclosed-1194168

As expected. Everything about this company was shady af

Helios and Matheson said in a regulatory filing that in the quarter ending Sept. 30 its revenue was $74.7 million, down from the $81.3 million it had previously reported. Its loss from operations was $93.1 million, while it previously stated the loss was $86.4 million.

The company's net loss in the quarter soared 6.9 percent to $146.7 million, up from the $137.2 million loss it had previously reported.

Shares of Helios and Matheson are off more than 99 percent and traded for a little over a penny a share on Tuesday.

On 9/20/2018 at 3:16 PM, Barnack said:

It's worked in England for years (I live in Cambridge and had a pass back in 2013). Movie pass was the dumbest model ever. I had it at $30 a month because it was awesome and I knew it would die or end up worthless. AMC controls so much and their margins are crazy high on food. People with passes spend a lot more than casual users and have bring full paying friends. AMC also knows the can slowly raise prices and keep almost everyone. Even with 700k users they are making money as we speak.