CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

On Flixster? For a movie? Repeatedly? 

Star Wars fans are really really hardcore.  I could definitely see people upset about the movie trying to torpedo it.  Hell, look at some of the crazies on twitter.  I do think among big fans of this series some of the choices will be at least somewhat divisive for sure, but other than one guy who left after a certain scene my audience really enjoyed it even with people definitely being a bit torn on certain elements.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

It helps Jumanji and the family holdovers if it really is a divisive movie...but I'll know Saturday...

It does explain why my locals kept movies on single showings to "keep the screens" so they could go back to giving them full schedules Monday (one theater did it for JL and DH2 and the other did it for The Star)...

Um True but this will likely will be doing rather strongly till Jan 2nd, regardless of WOM. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

You'd be surprised. Just a few months ago Battle of the Sexes starting with a really low audience approval on RT, almost certainly due entirely to moron MRAs who didn't even see the movie.

That I am very well aware of. I just don't think the trolling is really as big as BotS for Jedi.

3 minutes ago, Noctis said:

On Flixster? For a movie? Repeatedly? 

I'm sure some trolling happens, but for you to blame it all on trolls and not on the fact that it's clearly getting polarizing WOM from a lot of the hardcore fanbase is weird.

Where is it "clearly" getting polarizing WOM?  

• Like 1

Just now, James said:

Ok, let's say there are trolls manipulating the score, but why didn't that happen with RO and TFA? Isn't it more believable that some die hard fans, who have seen the movie last night, are not happy?  

um I think TFA was a star war fans fantasy.

Rogue One was fanservice lvl 99.

So I think the fanbase would have loved those films. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

>BvS doing TFA opening weekend numbers

Definitely not lol

>being one of the biggest hits of all time? 

I thought it would break $1billion that's for sure, it was a disappointing performance.

I wouldn't call predicting BvS to do more than $1b stupid at all, we saw The Avengers do incredible when they brought their franchise together. Superman and Batman are the two of the biggest superheroes of all time (only spiderman competes). TDK made over a billion and man of steel was no slouch. I don't think you can call this anywhere near as stupid (or even stupid at all) as predicting TLJ over TFA.

It easily could have been a different Avatar fanboy, I just remember a big Avatar fan along with excel predicting laughable numbers for BvS including an opening weekend as big as TFA

TLJ was never doing TFA numbers, when a movie hits the cultural zeitgeist the way that movie did a drop is inevitable (see basically every all time huge movie and its sequel, Star Wars, Phantom Menace, Jurassic Park, Avengers, etc.). 

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Um True but this will likely will be doing rather strongly till Jan 2nd, regardless of WOM. 

Yes, but there's strong and Star Wars strong...before I started seeing these reviews, I couldn't imagine how it couldn't be Star Wars strong...

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

Where is it "clearly" getting polarizing WOM?  

Star Wars fan sites, IMDB, RT, Flixster. Bunch of SW fans here are really displeased with the film. I don't know why that's surprising?

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

That is because it is trolls and there is no other case you can think of because it doesn't exist.  I am laughing watching a bunch of usually reasonable posters in multiple threads pointing at this very obviously manipulated audience score and acting like it is evidence of something.  

That is you.

You're being unreasonable, crying trolls despite the clear mixed reaction. You don't even have to look across the internet to see that. People on this site are completely mixed, I've been in the spoilers thread and I can tell the reaction is not positive.

Read some of the reviews. I don't think "trolls" who manipulate polls would come up with so many reasons they didn't like the film.
http://www.metacritic.com/movie/star-wars-episode-viii---the-last-jedi?ref=hp

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SoSaysI said:

It easily could have been a different Avatar fanboy, I just remember a big Avatar fan along with excel predicting laughable numbers for BvS including an opening weekend as big as TFA

TLJ was never doing TFA numbers, when a movie hits the cultural zeitgeist the way that movie did a drop is inevitable (see basically every all time huge movie and its sequel, Star Wars, Phantom Menace, Jurassic Park, Avengers, etc.). 

I mean I guess I would call myself an Avatar fanboy (more of a James Cameron fan), but I definitely don't remember predicting an opening weekend as big as TFA. That's plain silly.

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

Star Wars fan sites, IMDB, RT, Flixster. Bunch of SW fans here are really displeased with the film. I don't know why that's surprising?

Right, so nothing but anecdotal nonsense.  Now you have the narrative that self builds because the echo chamber effect starts working in full effect and feeds off of itself.  Multiple threads here show it already.  

Yeah, forget what I said about this being immune to good-but-not-great WOM. This score is getting into Alien Covenant territory :jeb!: 

I don't think trolls are affecting the score that much. It only happens in extreme cases like Jigsaw and The Promise.

Edited by WrathOfHan

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

Right, so nothing but anecdotal nonsense.  Now you have the narrative that self builds because the echo chamber effect starts working in full effect and feeds off of itself.  Multiple threads here show it already.  

Nothing but anecdotal nonsense? That's funny. What should I be looking at that's not anecdotal? I went through a bunch of sites and many fans are not pleased with the film. Anecdotal would be me selectively picking some reviews or what my friends thought that saw the film with me. This has been getting polarising WOM from the hardcore fanbase and that's not a lie. That's basically fact. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

That is you.

You're being unreasonable, crying trolls despite the clear mixed reaction. You don't even have to look across the internet to see that. People on this site are completely mixed, I've been in the spoilers thread and I can tell the reaction is not positive.

Read some of the reviews. I don't think "trolls" who manipulate polls would come up with so many reasons they didn't like the film.
http://www.metacritic.com/movie/star-wars-episode-viii---the-last-jedi?ref=hp

I’m actually agreeing with a lot of the points in these reviews but their score numbers are bitter and petty. It definitely can’t all be trolls.