CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

The audience score is just to weird for a historical comparison.  I could see the explanation that only hardcore fans have seen it so far and it's divisive amoung fanboys (but not GA).  There were critics who said it'd be that exact thing.

It could also be trolls that'll be washed out when everyone sees it.  Maybe GA reactions are mixed.  Maybe it's some of all of the above.

It's too early to say one thing for sure.

Edited by The Last Panda
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, cory said:

I’m actually agreeing with a lot of the points in these reviews but their score numbers are bitter and petty. It definitely can’t all be trolls. 

So basically fans have legitimate issues with the movie and are leaving their reviews but rating the movie .5 or 1 Star because they’re trying to stick it to LucasFilm/Rian Johnson/Disney?

Just now, Noctis said:

Nothing but anecdotal nonsense? That's funny. What should I be looking at that's not anecdotal? I went through a bunch of sites and many fans are not pleased with the film. Anecdotal would be me selectively picking some reviews or what my friends thought that saw the film with me. This has been getting polarising WOM from the hardcore fanbase and that's not a lie. That's basically fact. 

The movie is not perfect. There are plenty of professional reviews out there that were positive but pointed out various flaws. Some of those flaws are potentially a deal-breaker for various people in the audience. James Berardinelli said the movie has maybe 5-6 great scenes and a bunch of crap. He gave it 3/4 stars but made a comment about how it barely avoided the "rotten tomato" in his eyes. 

http://www.reelviews.net/reelviews/star-wars-the-last-jedi

I am not convinced it will just be diehard fans that are upset with some of the decisions. You want to talk about taking risks? How about not including the original trilogy characters at all in the first place? They went for a gigantic cash grab by bringing those characters into this and then they make controversial decisions with those characters. A bigger risk would have been truly hitting the reset button from the get-go on Episode 7. New characters far removed from the original trilogy. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Biggest bummer of the morning...kid woke up vomiting just now so I have to cancel tomorrow's tickets...so I won't be able to weigh in on this til next week at the earliest (small bummer in the overall sense, but man, I've had these tickets for 6 weeks!)...

Maybe it's for the best...but I doubt it...

• Sad 2

You see it happening right in this thread.  A narrative is being set and then driven by trolls.  In the last page you have 2 giant Jim Cameron nutbags fanning the flames along with a Justice League crazy joining in to repeat the same narrative over and over until they will it into existence.  

I'm sure that the score being 65% or whatever is completely legit.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

You see it happening right in this thread.  A narrative is being set and then driven by trolls.  In the last page you have 2 giant Jim Cameron nutbags fanning the flames along with a Justice League crazy joining in to repeat the same narrative over and over until they will it into existence.  

But how am I trolling? I'm not a SW fanboy by any stretch of the imagination.

And I said I'm sure there are some trolls, but you're giving them too much weight in this case.

to blame it only on trolls for the bad Audience score is just wrong. If it was trolls then Thor and JL would have bad audience scores as well. I looked on audience reviews and its all NON spoiler reviews and i see alot of 1 stars and 2 stars there. Clearly its very divisive.

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

It's intellectually dishonest to start calling people crazy simply for having a different opinion.

I'm looking at 2+2 and saying that's 4 here, it really doesn't matter who I am.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Biggest bummer of the morning...kid woke up vomiting just now so I have to cancel tomorrow's tickets...so I won't be able to weigh in on this til next week at the earliest (small bummer in the overall sense, but man, I've had these tickets for 6 weeks!)...

Maybe it's for the best...but I doubt it...

Why cancel? Your kid might get better by tomorrow!

Also, if you look at Metacritic audience scores for games and such with big fanbases, there's plenty of cases where games that get raves by critics get torpedoed in the User reviews by people displeased by one aspect of the game or a decision on the game company's part or trolls (ie bitter fans that the game wasn't exactly how they envisioned it.)

This hasn't been common on RT, but with the increased attention RT has gotten, and the Star Wars hardcore fan base looking similar to a video game fan base, you could have something similar at play.  And if that's the case, then it wouldn't be indicative of GA reactions.

Edited by The Last Panda
  • Like 2

Just now, IronJimbo said:

It's intellectually dishonest to start calling people crazy simply for having a different opinion.

I'm looking at 2+2 and saying that's 4 here, it really doesn't matter who I am.

No it isn't, and we can go back through your posting history when you showed up here about 2 years ago to fan the flames on The Force Awakens.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, The Last Panda said:

Also, if you look at Metacritic audience scores for games and such with big fanbases, there's plenty of cases where games that get raves by critics get torpedoed in the User reviews by people displeased by one aspect of the game or a decision on the game company's part or trolls (is bitter fans that the game wasn't exactly how they envisioned it.)

This hasn't been common on RT, but with the increased attention RT has gotten, and the Star Wars hardcore fan base looking similar to a video game fan base, you could have something similar at play.  And if that's the case, then it wouldn't be indicative of GA reactions.

Fans about more likely to give extreme scores imo, they're more likely to love or hate it.

• Like 2