grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

If SW8 ends up with 1.35B or 1.375B, it will have a worse retention rate among big franchises worldwide in 2017:

FF8 vs FF7: 1240 vs 1515 = 81% retention

DM3 vs Minions 1033 vs 1159 = 89% retention

SW8 vs SW7 1375 vs 2070 = 65% retention

All these franchises had both 2015 and 2017 releases. 

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 4

Just now, grim22 said:

This weekend thread has definitely been a roller coaster, from the initial 28.5M Friday estimate by Deadline to the expected Saturday increase and better than expected Sunday hold to a pretty awful Christmas increase

Now either a massive Tuesday jump or a -15% decrease. No middle ground.

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

TLJ will easily win the domestic crown for 2017.

Easily win 1st or 2nd WW.

What a disaster.

Disney should just end the franchise and liquidate LucasFilm.

Sad!

Oh, so it's for 2017 only, no more all-time? How mighty have fallen. ;)

But seriously, objectively speaking, it's a big success though likely not as big as the studio expected. I see no reason why they wouldn't have expected 700M range so finishing anywhere in 600M one, while still really big, is probably a bit of a downer. Perhaps they just underestimated how it would be received by the audience. 

As for Tuesday 32M estimate, I'm waiting for Rth. Not trusting Deadline, Variety, etc. 

6 minutes ago, Reyhawk said:

Lol a Nolan Transformers movie would be a sight to behold.

Something like that would be required to save it at this point. TF2 is a $500m grosser in 2017 dollars with all the extra IMAX/PLF/3D boost compared to 2009. 

Last Knight grossed $130m. That is an unbelievable drop. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

I don't think Avatar 2 will drop that much [actually i think it could match the 1st movie], exactly because of inflation plus the new technologies the movie will bring

But for JW2, yeah, i can see a bigger drop than Ultron

what new technology are you hearing it has ?

1 hour ago, Hades said:

WB should  move Wonder Woman 2 back to December 2019. Co -existence is possible .Not much to fear now. Episode 9 will do Rogue one numbers or lower. 

i agree they should move it to a month with more off days. November is a shitty month

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

But seriously, objectively speaking, it's a big success though likely not as big as the studio expected. I see no reason why they wouldn't have expected 700M range so finishing anywhere in 600M one, while still really big, is probably a bit of a downer. Perhaps they just underestimated how it would be received by the audience. 

As for Tuesday 32M estimate, I'm waiting for Rth. Not trusting Deadline, Variety, etc. 

Number is already confirmed as 27.5m

1 minute ago, mredman said:

what new technology are you hearing it has ?

i agree they should move it to a month with more off days. November is a shitty month

Some said virtual 3D or glassless 3D

November is pretty good. Could see Thor3 legs with a $145M OW. The only thing it has to worry about is Bond and Frozen 2.

8 minutes ago, Reyhawk said:

Now either a massive Tuesday jump or a -15% decrease. No middle ground.

Definitely, everything else would be pretty lame.

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I doubt anyone ever thought TLJ could be #1/2 of all-time, but most, including me thought it could finish #4/5 ww (around JW).

The will make money but i agree with you they might have hoped for more.

Is that really an estimate for today and not one of the Christmas eve estimates for X-Mas Day?

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

For Monday. I'm seeing 32M estimates for today. or am I? 

Mon is 27.5 and there is no Tue estimate.

Earlier the Mon estimate was 32.18 from Disney, 31.4 from Deadline and then it got revised. First Rth gave 27 and BOReport gave 27.5 https://twitter.com/BORReport/status/945705329647652865. https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice SW8 cume is also revised down to use 27.5 even though they don't explicitly mention it.

• Like 1