grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

13 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Also I feel like I am the only one who views Rt for what it is, a site that tells you how many critics pulled the + or - lever, not a site that says with how much enthusiasm or why. 

I feel like some of you treat it like a God (and granted the studios have helped create the problem with their ridiculous "certified fresh" advertising) and forget that it simply counts the numbers and gives us the "data". Which only creates the perceived group think effect both on the reviewers and the film hobbiests like ourselves who are afraid in some ways of being out of the mainstream. 

Stop giving other people and places control over your own thoughts and enjoy being who you are, without penalizing others for doing the same. 

*steps off soap box*

There's a difference between our favorites and a movie's quality.

And a critical consensus is a better judge of quality than a random opinion.

No one said RT was God or anything.

5 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

I was thinking about the most rememberable scene from film in 2017, and it has to be the end of GotG2 when the Cat Stevens song is being played, James Gunn is fantastic at conveying emotion through the usage of music, this isn't a perfect or even particularly great film but when it hits it really works.

That song was so important to me growing up that it brought tears to my eyes when I saw that in thetares

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Wut?

This whole thing started because I sarcastically said "TLJ is bad movie with over 90% on RT".

Then it became a big debate as to why personal opinion is all that matters because art is subjective.

Most of that debate I kept insisting that personal opinion shouldn't overshadow critical consensus.

(personal opinion determines favorites, critical consensus judges overall quality)

So, if my interpretation is correct, you're saying that personal opinion can't judge a film's quality because it has bias and only critical consensus matters... even though critical consensus is also taken from polling many critics' personal opinions (difference being that they additionally and professionally judge films in aspects that casuals likely don't) and they too have their biases crammed in there.

If that's what you're saying, then the call of bullshit I have made. If that's not what you're saying, my bad.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

I was thinking about the most rememberable scene from film in 2017, and it has to be the end of GotG2 when the Cat Stevens song is being played, James Gunn is fantastic at conveying emotion through the usage of music, this isn't a perfect or even particularly great film but when it hits it really works.

GotG2 is subtly amazing and second only to TDK among supehero sequels as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

The thing I remember most about that movie: "I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!"

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Only objective measure we have is grosses. Rest just opinions.

For instance Avatar is bad, subjective.

Avatar made 2.78b dollars becoming the highest grossing film in the known universe of all time in all known timelines, objective.

Critical consensus is somewhat quantifiable also.

"Most known critics recommend Avatar."

This is also a fact just like "alot of people paid to see Avatar" is a fact.

Edited by grey ghost

Off topic but:

I just saw JUNGLE, the Daniel Radcliffe movie, and it was such an amazing survival story. I really don't understand the low RT score. I mean yes, there is no plot twist, but there doesn't have to be. The acting is fantastic and as simple of a story at it was, it was so suspenseful!

On another topic, regarding the BRIGHT talk from a few pages ago. I just randomly saw my 19 yo brother watch a music video for one of the songs from the soundtrack. And he said exactly this: I never saw so much advertisement for any movie ever. It is everywhere. And mind you, he has no idea about BO and Netflix isn't even that big here. Combine the marketing barrage with the soundtrack by a lot of popular artists and bang, you have a mini-Suicide Squad. No wonder it is pulling in so many viewers. 

8 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

So, if my interpretation is correct, you're saying that personal opinion can't judge a film's quality because it has bias and only critical consensus matters... even though critical consensus is also taken from polling many critics' personal opinions (difference being that they additionally and professionally judge films in aspects that casuals likely don't) and they too have their biases crammed in there.

If that's what you're saying, then the call of bullshit I have made. If that's not what you're saying, my bad.

Basically, we all have our favorites for personal reasons, even critics.

But when there's a consensus there are universally praised aspects that allow some films to rise to the top despite broad scrutiny.

Something like The Godfather has stronger or many more universally praised aspects than Live By Night even if Live By Night has aspects a few random people really, really enjoyed.

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Basically, we all have our favorites for personal reasons, even critics.

But when there's a consensus there are universally praised aspects that allow some films to rise to the top despite broad scrutiny.

Something like The Godfather has stronger or many more universally praised aspects than Live By Night even if Live By Night has aspects a few random people really, really enjoyed.

350 rotten tomato blogger hugbox isn't universal praise imo,  most of them have very similar views on everything, they follow each other on twitter then hang out in Star Wars themed parties after they were flown in by Disney  where they circle jerk and shape each others opinion

43 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

GotG2 is subtly amazing and second only to TDK among supehero sequels as far as I'm concerned. 

yeah it's still one of my favourites of last year the only superhero movie i'd say that about. feel like it's getting brushed aside for more generic efforts like wonder woman (which i still liked don't @ me) and thor 3 (which isn't good @ me on this i don't care).

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Everything is looking at a sharp decrease at my theater tomorrow. TLJ has sold 89 tickets (Most of these are 2D and over half are in the morning) and Jumanji 64 (57 tickets are for the first show). Jumanji is down to one screen till the weekend (presumably) and on a 2D/3D split, but even the late afternoon 2D show only has 2 tickets sold.

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Everything is looking at a sharp decrease at my theater tomorrow. TLJ has sold 89 tickets (Most of these are 2D and over half are in the morning) and Jumanji 64 (57 tickets are for the first show). Jumanji is down to one screen till the weekend (presumably) and on a 2D/3D split, but even the late afternoon 2D show only has 2 tickets sold.

Expected. I'm thinking a 50% drop for Jumanji and 55% drop for TLJ. 

36 minutes ago, mikee11 said:

350 rotten tomato blogger hugbox isn't universal praise imo,  most of them have very similar views on everything, they follow each other on twitter then hang out in Star Wars themed parties after they were flown in by Disney  where they circle jerk and shape each others opinion

Weren't there critics and fanboys invited to the Justice League premiere?

What the heck happened? :hahaha:

24 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Weren't there critics and fanboys invited to the Justice League premiere?

What the heck happened? :hahaha:

It was a fun dumb movie meant for kids, it didn't pander directly to the  critic class with unnecessary class war, veganism, and "toxic masculinity" bs. That gave it inflated critic score and at odds with the audience which is between 6-7.

Edited by mikee11

14 minutes ago, mikee11 said:

Wouldn't Jumanji drop more if it had bigger number monday? 

Regardless of their Monday numbers, I just think Jumanji will hold better. The trend is pretty obvious now. Jumanji is taking over.

• Like 1