the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Why did you see JL twice? :gold:

Projector issue/power outage the first time

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Maybe if audiences weren't so damn rude, people would like going to the theater more. 

Sounds like a Florida problem

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Excellent opening for Insidious 4. The second biggest “first horror in January” film behind The Devil Inside. 

Great for Jumanji.

Fantastic PTA on expansion for I, Tonya.

And that expansion for Molly’s Game is actually ok too.

Awesome PTA for The Post too.

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, baumer said:

Why would a theatre chain care if movie pass is being used?  They are still getting paid for the full price of the movie.

This is all about data and access to customers.  If theaters allow an outside subscription source to cut them off from the data of a large customer base, it is a slippery path to go down.  

• Like 4

So Star Wars: The Last Jedi, to some is the biggest blockbuster flop of the ages on this website, will finish (Drum Roll, Please…)

#5 All-time Domestic

and 

#8 WW

Not to bad for a 9th film is series. 

WAIT - cue the adjusted for inflation folks, because I don't want to have to read 20 pages about it.

#33 All-time All Time Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation Domestic 

and somewhere around

#67 All-time All Time Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation WW

Not sure about the overseas number, but its a good guess. 

Anyhow, far from the FLOP people love to make it here

Thanks for playing!!

• Like 1

http://deadline.com/2018/01/insidious-the-last-key-last-jedi-jumanji-weekend-box-office-1202236009/

Disney/Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi is taking 3rd with $23.6M with a running cume of $572.5M. Episode VIII is the sixth highest grossing film at the domestic B.O., and has another $50.8M to go to notch fifth place and beat Disney/Marvel’s The Avengers ($623.3M). Last Jedi is the fourth biggest Imax release in U.S./Canada with $65M, outstripping Jurassic World ($58.1M) and close to tipping The Dark Knight Rises ($67.6M). At 416 Imax hubs in weekend 4, Last Jedi made $2.8M. Lionsgate’s Liam Neeson action pic The Commuter will share some of those Imax auditoriums with Last Jedi next weekend.

• Like 2

I also forgot to add that many reports and anecdotal stories from theaters that MoviePass is an increasing hassle.  Many of the customers will buy the seats they want online and then they come into the theater right before the movie wanting a refund and then want to re-purchase the same seat with their MoviePass card. 

It is creating a logistical nightmare at the box office in some cases and even a few loud incidents when the theater refuses to refund back the purchase and the guest gets angry.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, baumer said:

So have you see more than 10 movies since August?  How much did you pay for it?

I can give you my experience.

Paid for it in August at $9.95 a month.  Got my card late September.

When they offered the $89.95 annual plan, I signed up for that.  (It actually took them two months to switch me over.  I was still being charged the monthly rate.  They did finally correct the mistake and, maybe as a makeup, only charged me $70 for the next year.  So I'm paid until January, which means the service is only costing me $5.84 a month for the next year.)

I also bought two of the cards at the annual offer of $89.95 as Christmas/Birthday gifts for friends.  My brother signed up in October and has stayed at the $9.95 rate.

I would say we've had about a 99 percent success rate.  One time, the app wasn't working on a Saturday night, but that's been it.

Between the four of us in the three months or so we've had the cards, we've collectively spent about $400 worth of MoviePass' money.  Keep in mind we're all only paying $5.80 to $9.95 a month for this service.

The three of us who paid the annual rate ($89.95 or so) will have all bought more money in tickets with MoviePass than that by the end of January.

How in the world that is a sustainable economic model for them, I have no idea, but I'm going to ride the train as long as it lasts.

(The restrictions are that you can't go to 3-D or IMAX films, and you have to buy tickets that day at the theater.  So you can go and buy them early in the day for an evening show if you're worried about getting a good seat.)

Edited by MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie
  • Like 3

I don't see how Jumanji misses 800 ww.

It's on 514 ww right now.

Should add 100 dom (for 344 cume)

Had a 70 os weekend, so should add 140 more os from current markets.

China and Japan together should bring 75 if not more.

That's 514 + 100 + 140 + 75 = 829 ww

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Oh the limitations are very few compared to the enormous benefits. As someone in DC where tickets cost $13-$15 for a 2D movie easy, the thing pays for itself after one purchase.

AMC does accept it, but theaters like...Arclight, Alamo Drafthouse, and other dine-in type theaters do not. Problematic for me, as the closest theater within walking distance to me is one of those. A

The biggest problem is probably lack of reserved seating. Makes it hard to rely on for movies like Star Wars and the like unless you're willing to wait it out. 

We have a Movie Tavern theater about 20 minutes from our house and they accept MoviePass. It’s one of those dine in theaters where they bring the food to you in the theater so that’s cool. We’ve only gone there a couple of times because we have a nice AMC less than 10min from our house so we go there the most. 

The only negtive we’ve had is that AMC doesn’t allow you to use your Stubs card when you use MoviePass to purchase the tickets. 

• Like 1

From what I'm reading moviepass is trying to emulate the gym membership model where you pay monthly and you go a lot at first but then you keep paying every month without going as often and a lot of people stop going completely. That's the only way I can think where movie pass can still pay theaters full price for people using it to see movies and breaks even.

Problem is going to the gym to work out is work which disincentivizes people from going, while going to see a movie is passive entertainment. 

On the other hand if you add a few more restrictions it could work so that movie pass users are only taking up seats that would have otherwise stayed empty, in which case theaters are making more money even if movie pass pays them less than the full price of a ticket for users. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

That's 514 + 100 + 140 + 75 = 829 ww

It would be hilarious and astonishing to see Jumanji outgross every SH release of 2017 (Target: the 880M of Homecoming).

....i really want to see that actually :hahaha:but we need massive China/Japan numbers for that and great holds from the rest of OS markets and DOM.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Some people really hate and despise audiences so much they'd rather be completely alone.

Random, but yesterday during Insidious, a group of 10 year olds threw candy at me during the movie.  Enhanced my experience because that's more cookie dough bites for me

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 2

Pitch Perfect 3 has a great shot at 200 ww

- Is on 141 ww (86 dom + 55 os)

- Should make it to 105 dom, or add 19 more after a 10.225 weekend

- Had an 18.1 os weekend so should do 35-40 more from current markets (not sure how many markets to go).

That's 141 + 19 + 35-40 = 195-200 ww (4.4x the 45 prod budget)

Edited by a2knet

5 minutes ago, a2knet said:

That seems pretty low, I hope it breaks out in China.

• Like 1

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/worstopenings.htm?page=WRSTOPN30&p=.htm

So Showman had the 43rd worst super saturated opening of all time, but if you look at the 42 openings worse than it, nothing finished above 40m. If you look at the entire top 200, the highest total was Fun With Dick and Jane's 110m off a 14.3m opening. TGS will easily eclipse that total. TGS will also get the distinction of being the first saturated or super saturated release to open under 10m and hit 100. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 2

Holy Shit, this Collider weekend report for some of the movies:

http://collider.com/weekend-box-office-insidious-the-last-key/#images

I’m less interested in seeing what happens with The Greatest Showman, the uniquely cowardly musical based on the life of the monstrous P.T. Barnum, which came in at fourth with $13.8 million. If the movie is kicked out of the top five next weekend, it won’t be a moment too soon. My attitude toward the third Pitch Perfect movie, which came in fifth with $10.2 million, is not much softer or kinder than that but all of this is to be expected. With the notable exception of The Last Jedi and next weekend’s Paddington 2, none of these movies have much in the way of substance worthy of contemplating after the credits roll and there likely won’t be a title in that vein until Black Panther and The 15:17 to Paris open in February. Until then, expect the top five to be dominated by movies meant almost exclusively for toddlers and teenagers.

:hahaha::hahaha:

Someone is salty as f*ck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1