MaxAggressor

Weekend Thread | Estimates per DHD (p.15): J 19.75M, 12S 15.3M, DoT 14.7M, TP 12.1M, TGS 11.1M, P2 8.3M, TC 6.8M, TLJ 6.5M, I:TLK 5.9M, FMG 4.3M

16 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Is the Hostile theatre count and PTA a typo? Doesn't make sense that it a has higher PTA in 5th weekend on 49 theatres than its OW in only 3 theatres.

10 minutes ago, iceni said:

I'm looking at Box Office Mojo, and hmmmmmm....

It's definitely WOM and the boost from the recent promotion. This makes sense to me, because if Entertainment Studios can get 47 Meters Down to over $40 million domestically, then I think they could do great things distribution-wise if they really apply themselves; Hostiles even reaching past $1,000,000 at all is an achievement, and it shows that Entertainment Studios is really applying themselves here. So I'm not saying it'll be an unforeseen smash hit; I'm saying it's not gonna fall flat on its face like some suggest. Not with how aggressive the marketing is.

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Also I Tonya is a film that I really liked but can definitely see why someone wouldn’t like it. Some parts try way too hard and how it handles Tonya’s abuse is shockingly poor

A completely subjective opinion, but I disagree.   (This piece states why far better than I ever could.)

With Hostiles' pretty good PTA hold, I wonder if it will bomb as spectacularly next weekend as we all initially thought. Granted, it's still gonna bomb no doubt, but I could see 5-6M happening rather than 3

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heat Vision said:

I remember when everyone was saying Coco was going to smash everything lol

lol, that's some revisionist history right there.  Most people didn't think it would even hit 200 million.

• Like 8

Dunno who Hemsworth's agent is, but his steamy kiss scenes in the first two Thor films suggested a Romance route outside of the MCU. He works as Thor, but he hasn't caught on as a no-nonsense action leading man in his non-MCU roles.

He has a female fan base, go the Romance way and see what happens.

• Like 2

Forecasting the new releases:

12 Strong:

Remainder of this week: 5.7M (22.2M Total)

Jan 26: 9.6M (3.7M weekdays, 35.5M Total)

Feb 2: 5.1M (1.9M weekdays, 42.5M Total)

Feb 9: 3.2M (1.1M weekdays, 46.8M Total)

Feb 16: 1.6M (800k weekdays, 49.2M Total)

Final Total: 51M (3.09x)

Thieves:

Remainder of this week: 5.1M (20.4M Total)

Jan 26: 8M (3.8M weekdays, 32.2M Total)

Feb 2: 4.5M (1.7M weekdays, 38.4M Total)

Feb 9: 2.1M (800k weekdays, 41.3M Total)

Final Total: 44M (2.88x)

My Girl:

Remainder of this week: 2.4M (7.1M Total)

Jan 26: 5M (2.4M weekdays, 14.5M Total)

Feb 2: 3M (1.4M weekdays, 18.9M Total)

Feb 9: 1.3M (600k weekdays, 20.8M Total)

Final Total: 22M (4.68x)

• Like 2

Just saw The Post. 

This movie should be doing well over $100 million in the states. It’s a rollicking good Spielberg film and couldn’t be much more cathartic for the shit going on right now. 

Here’s hoping it gets some big nods on Tuesday to convince people to get off their asses and see it. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

http://deadline.com/2018/01/darkest-hour-the-shape-of-water-call-me-by-your-name-specialty-box-office-1202265201/

Darkest Hour is now the highest grossing specialty film of the year ahead of The Big Sick. Still waiting for the full article with potential TCs for next week.

Theaters and studios are waiting until Tuesday morning to see what gets nominated (or snubbed) and for how many nominations and decide the theater counts from there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also: congrats to Pitch Perfect 3 crossing $100M with no one really noticing or caring.

Coco also crossed the 200M this weekend but I have no idea if people celebrated that or not since I am barely online nowadays.

Just now, CJohn said:

Coco also crossed the 200M this weekend but I have no idea if people celebrated that or not since I am barely online nowadays.

At least it should finish ahead of Ratatouille's original run of $206M (albeit barely).

Perhaps it's because I live in an area with a sizable Latino population (where the film has understandably done very well), but I'm still surprised that Coco didn't blow up and at least match Moana's gross. With the release date, reviews, and word-of-mouth, it seemed like it had all the pieces in place.

Edited by Webslinger

23 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Perhaps it's because I live in an area with a sizable Latino population (where the film has understandably done very well), but I'm still surprised that Coco didn't blow up and at least match Moana's gross. With the release date, reviews, and word-of-mouth, it seemed like it had all the pieces in place.

I think that's mostly because Coco had more family-friendly competition than Moana did - Moana had to deal with Sing, Rogue One and, to an extent, Passengers; Coco had to deal with Wonder (which came out basically at the same time), The Last Jedi, Ferdinand, Jumanji, The Greatest Showman and, to an extent, Pitch Perfect 3 all vying for family attention. And Coco had a much weaker marketing campaign than Moana did. Although the OW actually was pretty close to Moana, both the 3-day and 5-day; plus, the smaller weekly drops.... so I guess that's hardly much of a great excuse.

And there's also the cultural barriers chaining some demographics from wanting to see it (particularly, rural areas and/or any region strongly composed of Trump supporters that aren't particularly fond of the Mexicans).

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

It probably didn't play well in rural areas and the midwest. It was already gone from one theater near me before Christmas, and my AMC dropped it at the beginning of the year.

Edited by WrathOfHan