MaxAggressor

Weekend Thread | Estimates per DHD (p.15): J 19.75M, 12S 15.3M, DoT 14.7M, TP 12.1M, TGS 11.1M, P2 8.3M, TC 6.8M, TLJ 6.5M, I:TLK 5.9M, FMG 4.3M

4 hours ago, Heat Vision said:

I remember when everyone was saying Coco was going to smash everything lol

Mmmm, I don't know where you read that, but can assure you it wasn't definitely here. 

Here people were all saying Coco would flop, because it was strongly focused on a particular aspect of a particular culture, not a worldwide appealing at all ... 

... and it's on track of 750-800M if not more, being 5th all-time-ww-Pixar grosser (3rd if not counting sequels).

Kind of a surprise on 2017 box office run imo.

• Like 10

I have no idea why people were so low on Den of Thieves. They did a great job marketing it to its target audience. I remember being on the Youtube trending section on my phone a week or two ago, and the cast's interview on The Breakfast Club was pretty high on there. 50 Cent is the one who was promoting the movie on the night shows and has a huge following given on how successful his show on STARZ is, so I am pretty sure that he is the one who is going to receive credit for the movie opening above expectations. 

4 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Insidious continues to crumble, but it's been a big winner against its small budget ever since its opening day.

For a horror movie especially in January it's holding quite well. If you looked at other January horror movies released in the first week of the year not one of them managed 2x multiplier, this is already at that... 

Also it's already the 2nd highest grossing film of the series, that's pretty impressive for a 4th film in a horror franchise. A 5th movie is 95% happening. 

How is Jumanji beating last year's comic book fodder? It's an OK diversion, but it's nowhere near as good as Ragnarok. I love Dwayne Johnson. I've met the man twice. A consummate gentleman to his fans. His international appeal is undeniable, but this is JUMANJI we're talking about. How is this happening?!?!

Edited by ThePhasmid

7 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

How is Jumanji beating last year's comic book fodder? It's an OK diversion, but it's nowhere near as good as Ragnarok.

No resistance broaden is potential audience way more than a comic book fodder with all that history behind them.

Being good or not cannot change Thor 3 result that much, is 2.56x multiplier is better than is 2.42 previous entry, but not by that much, the word of mouth cannot give sequels movies like that the type of run a Jumanji can have, there is an ever growing crowd that will not go see a not origin story superheroes movie.

• Like 1

Jumanji just hit the sweet spot of having a bunch of favorable factors all lining up at the same time:

- Effective ad campaign that started early with a full trailer in front of several summer blockbusters and kept going strong through the opening.

- Tapped into viewers' nostalgia for the original film while also taking the concept in such a different direction that one didn't need to have ties to that film to see this one.

- Amazon-backed preview screenings got strong word-of-mouth out weeks in advance.

- Enjoyable crowd-pleaser.

- A light PG-13 (arguably even lighter than its PG-rated predecessor in terms of violence) that was just family-friendly enough to pull in kids, but still edgy enough to attract teens and adults.

- Stealing Star Wars's thunder after that film left part of the fanbase disappointed.

- Unimpressive January release schedule that has allowed the film to continue to hold well.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Barnack said:

No resistance broaden is potential audience way more than a comic book fodder with all that history behind them.

Being good or not cannot change Thor 3 result that much, is 2.56x multiplier is better than is 2.42 previous entry, but not by that much, the word of mouth cannot give sequels movies like that the type of run a Jumanji can have, there is an ever growing crowd that will not go see a not origin story superheroes movie.

That is attributable to Justice League opening two weeks later, more than anything. If JL opened later in its run, or didn't open in its run at all, its legs would've been more in the 2.7-2.8x range, akin to Guardians 2 and Homecoming.

44 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

That is attributable to Justice League opening two weeks later, more than anything. If JL opened later in its run, or didn't open in its run at all, its legs would've been more in the 2.7-2.8x range, akin to Guardians 2 and Homecoming.

Competition for screen and that direct of a competition certainly matter here (that -62% JL weekend was is worst by far is not a coincidence) but would still be not by that much, like you said maybe just a regular 2.7-2.8 type of run.

Well received non long into a number of sequels SH type has more chance to go in the around 3.0x legs type of run, even when they open at 175m like beauty and the beasts or above 200m like jurassic World.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Mmmm, I don't know where you read that, but can assure you it wasn't definitely here. 

Here people were all saying Coco would flop, because it was strongly focused on a particular aspect of a particular culture, not a worldwide appealing at all ... 

... and it's on track of 750-800M if not more, being 5th all-time-ww-Pixar grosser (3rd if not counting sequels).

Kind of a surprise on 2017 box office run imo.

Which is great. It's one of Pixar's greatest. But it had a tough enemy in American exceptionalism.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, AndyK said:

The greatest thing about Jumunji is that there is no fanboy crap surrounding it. Everyone can just enjoy the run.

Fanboys "crap" didn't stop people from enjoying Wonder Woman's run.

Or Deadpool.

Or The Force Awakens.

So is the problem fanboys or controversy?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Jumanji reached $316 million passing Thor Ragnarok this weekend, and should pass or get close to passing Spider-Man Homecoming next weekend. Spider-Man 3 is also going down! tucci.png

Jumanji is a mini Avatar with the same ball park multiplier.