La Binoche

A24's HEREDITARY

4 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

Seeing horror in a crowd rarely enhances the experience when the movie isn’t cheap junk.  The only good horror movie I saw in theaters where the crowd enhanced the experience was IT, maybe it would have in Get Out as well but I saw that at home originally.  

I’m intentionally waiting to see AQP for example at home because I figured the crowd would ruin it.

yeah I skipped AQP, as well, for the same reasons and will catch it at home.

• Like 1

I saw AQP 3 weeks after it came out on a Thursday morning (day of IW previews to be exact). There were only three other people in the theater, and it was dead silent. One of the women behind me had some popcorn that she only touched when the movie was loud enough and gave up after about 30 minutes :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2018 at 5:34 PM, harrycaul said:

I see how this "informed discussion" about box office is going to go once people want to toss out the Cinemascore.

Outta here.

Then maybe give me specific reasons why Cinemascore methodology is good or why it's so diffferent vs RT Audience score and IMDB? So far you give no supporting evidence or reasoning to your statements. 

On 6/11/2018 at 1:11 AM, norbar said:

Then maybe give me specific reasons why Cinemascore methodology is good or why it's so diffferent vs RT Audience score and IMDB? So far you give no supporting evidence or reasoning to your statements. 

Ah, you're one of those.  Sealioning is so tiresome.

Meanwhile, RT audience score at 59% and continuing to drop, so by all means go by that if you prefer.

On 6/11/2018 at 4:11 AM, norbar said:

It is mostly close to random vs non-random sampling issue here.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/statistics-probability/designing-studies/sampling-methods-stats/a/sampling-methods-review

Voluntary response sample: The researcher puts out a request for members of a population to join the sample, and people decide whether or not to be in the sample.

Example—A TV show host asks his viewers to visit his website and respond to an online poll.

Why it's probably biased: People who take the time to respond tend to have similarly strong opinions compared to the rest of the population.

The obvious best would be to have access to a cinemascore over time and not just opening weekend and a  bit more locations, so both method are a bit flawed (both are not perfect random but IMDB/RT is much worst).

RT score and IMDB score give you the score of the IMDB/RT population (that is for example mostly male).

Take Ocean 8:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5164214/ratings

4,566 male vote giving an average 5.8/10

1,820 female vote giving it an average 7.4/10

The IMDB score is only 6.2 / 10, closer to the average male opinion of the movie than the female opinion of the movie because they outvote them 3:1 even on a movie like this, but in reality is audience was mostly female and the cinemascore will reflect something closer to the actual paying audience.

The average person hanging out on IMDB or RT can be quite different (even a lot in some case of franchises or niche movies) than a lot of people watching movies (that see in average only 4 movies a year and would never create a movie website account to vote on stuff).

That become even more obvious for the Letterbox average users score that no one here use to try to pulse the general audience opinion, hereditary is 8.2/10 on letterbox: https://letterboxd.com/film/hereditary/, I would imagine is D+ score to be more representative of the weekend audience opinion of it.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

• Community Manager
On 6/10/2018 at 11:15 AM, Pandamia! said:

There were quite a few serious scenes where my audience started snickering at the film.  Laughing at it takes away the responsibility to actually contemplate some of the gravitas to a few of the scenes.

I couldn't help but snicker in one scene. I tried holding it back but like...it's darkly funny in a good way.

• Like 1

These fucking A24 directors, they truly deserve each other, sweet fucking jesus.

:wintf:
:redcapes:

:gold:

This had basicaly 95%  of the DNA of The Witch., it was uncanny but yeah :

:bash::rolleyes:

My rant from a few pages describe the movie to a T and I didn't even see trailers from the movie, it is quite hilarious to be honest.

A24 must be stopped and migrate to a streaming service, where it belongs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

These fucking A24 directors, they truly deserve each other, sweet fucking jesus.

My rant from a few pages describe the movie to a T and I didn't even see trailers from the movie, it is quite hilarious to be honest.

Image result for boo hoo hoo gif

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I see you don't like good cinema and judge it on surface level "hurr durr 2 movies about family and more about dread than stupid jump scares = 95% same". 

Also a24 movies are different. I hated it Comes at night, I liked the Witch, Liked Green Room and Killing of a Sacred Deer and love Hereditary. They are very different movie.

Also it's nice you only want to see blockbusters in Cinemas. Ehh US viewers that need explosions or easily understandable and palatable dramas to enjoy a movie. I'm pretty sure 90% of the current "movie fans" would hate Kubrick if he was active now.

PS. So far Cinemascore is not affecting the Drops. It dropped much less on Monday than other top movies.

Edited by norbar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, norbar said:

I see you don't like good cinema and judge it on surface level "hurr durr 2 movies about family and more about dread than stupid jump scares = 95% same". 

Also a24 movies are different. I hated it Comes at night, I liked the Witch, Liked Green Room and Killing of a Sacred Deer and love Hereditary. They are very different movie.

Also it's nice you only want to see blockbusters in Cinemas. Ehh US viewers that need explosions or easily understandable and palatable dramas to enjoy a movie. I'm pretty sure 90% of the current "movie fans" would hate Kubrick if he was active now.

Futurist isn't American.  And maybe he just didn't like the movie.  That's still allowed here, isn't it?