grim22

BOTs Top 25 Movies of 2017 | NOLANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Just now, grim22 said:

Hide contents

Paddington 2

paddington_two_ver22_xlg.jpg

8ZqtMCn.png

RWBahYZ.png

The best reviewed movie of all time on Rotten Tomatoes, Paddington 2 is a genuinely sweet and sincere movie. The cast is brilliant again, the effects for Paddington are really well done and Hugh Grant excels in his best role ever. I got a lot of feedback about including it for this year's list, but decided to make it eligible anyway.

User Reviews

Warm, fuzzy, and charming, Paddington was everything the first one was and more. Hugh Grant is amazing in this, and pretty hilarious at times too. There are some genuine laugh-out-loud moments (even if one of them steals from a classic Mr. Bean moment). The film pays a particular attention to detail, and everything that goes on happens for a reason at some point later on in the film. Not a single frame, character, or joke is wasted. 

Definitely a lot of Wes Andersen influence here. And the ''British humor'' is top notch. A few emotionally touching moments as well. All-around a spectacular film. GO SEE IT.

- @DAJK

I have had a really terrible January -- my grandmother had an extended stay in the hospital, my beloved seventeen-year-old cat died, work is work -- and for 104 minutes it felt like everything was right in the world.  This movie is utterly PRECIOUS and so kind.  I loved the sense of wonder throughout ( I was BEAMING at the prison break!).  Every character was important and mattered; and in the end, everyone got to have their shining moment.  The script was wonderful, and the editing was so well placed.  And then there was Hugh, Oh My Gosh.  I hope he gets the BAFTA.  He was such a blast to watch.

And I want to know the name of the set dresser who decided to plaster Hugh's old headshots EVERYWHERE.  They deserve ALL THE AWARDS.  I had a giggle fit the first time we saw inside his house.

- @captainwondyful

Should be higher but I am lazy and stupid.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Haven't seen Paddington 2 yet. The film may have stolen the spot of a smaller undeniably-2017 film, but a good film is a good film. If it's good enough to gain the fandom necessary to put it on this list despite questionable eligibility, then I guess I better put it as a bigger priority on my film radar.

• Like 1

#s 161-177

161 A Quiet Passion
162 Baywatch
163 Beatriz at Dinner
164 Death Note
165 Ferdinand
166 GoodBye Christopher Robin
167 Goon: The Last of the Enforcers
168 Home Again
169 LBJ
170 Lovesong
171 Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
172 Strong Island
173 Table 19
174 Thank You for your Service
175 The Man Who Invented Christmas
176 What happened to Monday ( Seven Sisters)
177 Wilson
  • Like 5

Spoiler

Phantom Thread

phantom_thread_teaser_instgrm.jpg

eU61LnS.png

OFqaPJc.png

Haven't seen it. So take it away @aabattery

Man, I love PTA. Dude knows how to make a movie. Everything about this, on a technical level, is flawless. It looks incredible, Greenwood's score is mesmerising, the costumes are impeccable, the acting is aces. Just phenomenal work from everyone involved. It's pretty much the definition of a slow burn but the sassy interactions between the characters make for a truly enjoyable time. It's straight up one of the funniest movies of the past year; seeing these high-strung characters snap at each other was an absolute delight, mainly thanks to the wittiness of PTA's screenplay. DDL is fantastic as the eccentric Reynolds Woodcock (which has a strong case for the best character name of the year) and does his usual chameleon act to bring a delectable performance to the table. If this is his last performance, he's going out on a high. His hair also looks great. Got some MrPink-ish hair envy from more than a few scenes in the movie. Vicky Krieps does a fantastic job in matching, if not exceeding him, in her role as Alma. I loved how her character saw through the bullshit and pageantry of Woodcock's flashy, high-class life. Their poisonous relationship, culminating in the quietly explosive finale, is a refreshing take on the old man/young muse trope. With this being said, all the characters are complete weirdos. Leaning towards being assholes a lot of the time. I personally relish in that, but it's not for everybody. Regardless of your thoughts on the characters, I think anyone can appreciate the level of craftsmanship and the power of the performances in this film. Good stuff.

User Reviews:

Phantom Thread continues writer-director (and cinematographer this time out) Paul Thomas Anderson’s run as one of the most singular voices in film today. It’s an oddity that admittedly loses just a little bit of steam after it surpasses the 90-minute mark, but Anderson’s direction is intoxicating as ever. Each frame is crafted meticulously, and Anderson hasn’t lost a step in his skill in clear, powerful visual storytelling that tells viewers more than just the dialogue can convey. I must also admit that I never expected the director of such wholly masculine fare as There Will Be Blood and The Master to make a film that places such visual and dramatic emphasis on an array of gorgeous dresses. Much attention has fallen upon Daniel Day-Lewis’s retirement announcement; if this performance does indeed mark his swan song (which I strongly doubt it will), it’s an admirable goodbye. As always, Day-Lewis disappears into the role so deeply that it’s hard to believe that he’s the same man who played the wildly different characters in the rest of his oeuvre. He’s subtly startling in other scenes, markedly eccentric in others, and perilously vulnerable in others yet. In the face of such a giant of the craft, it would be easy for other performances to suffer by comparison, but Vicky Krieps and Lesley Manville are also quite noteworthy. Krieps delivers a strong breakthrough performance that trades off audience expectations that she will be a deer in the headlights so well that her gradual shift into turning Woodcock’s psychological and emotional abuse back against him feels genuinely surprising. Manville also gets her share of deliciously venomous moments as Woodcock’s confidant and chief enabler. Like most of Anderson’s other work, Phantom Thread is a beautiful, complex film that demands its audience’s full attention and consideration, but rewards patient viewers with rich ideas and sumptuous imagery.

A-

- @Webslinger

"The tea is going out, the interruption is staying right here with me." HAHAHAHA

Krieps and the score are the MVP's. The way PTA nails the look of this thing. The lighting, the lenses, I wanna know how they did it.

@RichWS

• Like 10
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 2

22 minutes ago, Kraken said:

I didn't like GotG2, and I loved the first one. It felt like it was trying too hard to be emotional. Too on the nose. It's not hard for a film to make me cry but this one had me rolling my eyes instead.

Groot is still adorable, tho.

I really connected to something very specific to it in a very personal level so maybe I'm biased but I thought it was a much better movie than the first one. I gotta watch it again in fact, it's been a wihle. Maybe if I had watched it recently it would have been higher on my list.

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

Paddington 2

paddington_two_ver22_xlg.jpg

8ZqtMCn.png

RWBahYZ.png

The best reviewed movie of all time on Rotten Tomatoes, Paddington 2 is a genuinely sweet and sincere movie. The cast is brilliant again, the effects for Paddington are really well done and Hugh Grant excels in his best role ever. I got a lot of feedback about including it for this year's list, but decided to make it eligible anyway.

User Reviews

Warm, fuzzy, and charming, Paddington was everything the first one was and more. Hugh Grant is amazing in this, and pretty hilarious at times too. There are some genuine laugh-out-loud moments (even if one of them steals from a classic Mr. Bean moment). The film pays a particular attention to detail, and everything that goes on happens for a reason at some point later on in the film. Not a single frame, character, or joke is wasted. 

Definitely a lot of Wes Andersen influence here. And the ''British humor'' is top notch. A few emotionally touching moments as well. All-around a spectacular film. GO SEE IT.

- @DAJK

I have had a really terrible January -- my grandmother had an extended stay in the hospital, my beloved seventeen-year-old cat died, work is work -- and for 104 minutes it felt like everything was right in the world.  This movie is utterly PRECIOUS and so kind.  I loved the sense of wonder throughout ( I was BEAMING at the prison break!).  Every character was important and mattered; and in the end, everyone got to have their shining moment.  The script was wonderful, and the editing was so well placed.  And then there was Hugh, Oh My Gosh.  I hope he gets the BAFTA.  He was such a blast to watch.

And I want to know the name of the set dresser who decided to plaster Hugh's old headshots EVERYWHERE.  They deserve ALL THE AWARDS.  I had a giggle fit the first time we saw inside his house.

- @captainwondyful

Ahhhhhh. Thank you BOT, thank you.

tumblr_neqtt92mFy1sbj6bio1_500.gif

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

Phantom Thread

phantom_thread_teaser_instgrm.jpg

eU61LnS.png

OFqaPJc.png

Haven't seen it. So take it away @aabattery

Man, I love PTA. Dude knows how to make a movie. Everything about this, on a technical level, is flawless. It looks incredible, Greenwood's score is mesmerising, the costumes are impeccable, the acting is aces. Just phenomenal work from everyone involved. It's pretty much the definition of a slow burn but the sassy interactions between the characters make for a truly enjoyable time. It's straight up one of the funniest movies of the past year; seeing these high-strung characters snap at each other was an absolute delight, mainly thanks to the wittiness of PTA's screenplay. DDL is fantastic as the eccentric Reynolds Woodcock (which has a strong case for the best character name of the year) and does his usual chameleon act to bring a delectable performance to the table. If this is his last performance, he's going out on a high. His hair also looks great. Got some MrPink-ish hair envy from more than a few scenes in the movie. Vicky Krieps does a fantastic job in matching, if not exceeding him, in her role as Alma. I loved how her character saw through the bullshit and pageantry of Woodcock's flashy, high-class life. Their poisonous relationship, culminating in the quietly explosive finale, is a refreshing take on the old man/young muse trope. With this being said, all the characters are complete weirdos. Leaning towards being assholes a lot of the time. I personally relish in that, but it's not for everybody. Regardless of your thoughts on the characters, I think anyone can appreciate the level of craftsmanship and the power of the performances in this film. Good stuff.

User Reviews:

Phantom Thread continues writer-director (and cinematographer this time out) Paul Thomas Anderson’s run as one of the most singular voices in film today. It’s an oddity that admittedly loses just a little bit of steam after it surpasses the 90-minute mark, but Anderson’s direction is intoxicating as ever. Each frame is crafted meticulously, and Anderson hasn’t lost a step in his skill in clear, powerful visual storytelling that tells viewers more than just the dialogue can convey. I must also admit that I never expected the director of such wholly masculine fare as There Will Be Blood and The Master to make a film that places such visual and dramatic emphasis on an array of gorgeous dresses. Much attention has fallen upon Daniel Day-Lewis’s retirement announcement; if this performance does indeed mark his swan song (which I strongly doubt it will), it’s an admirable goodbye. As always, Day-Lewis disappears into the role so deeply that it’s hard to believe that he’s the same man who played the wildly different characters in the rest of his oeuvre. He’s subtly startling in other scenes, markedly eccentric in others, and perilously vulnerable in others yet. In the face of such a giant of the craft, it would be easy for other performances to suffer by comparison, but Vicky Krieps and Lesley Manville are also quite noteworthy. Krieps delivers a strong breakthrough performance that trades off audience expectations that she will be a deer in the headlights so well that her gradual shift into turning Woodcock’s psychological and emotional abuse back against him feels genuinely surprising. Manville also gets her share of deliciously venomous moments as Woodcock’s confidant and chief enabler. Like most of Anderson’s other work, Phantom Thread is a beautiful, complex film that demands its audience’s full attention and consideration, but rewards patient viewers with rich ideas and sumptuous imagery.

A-

- @Webslinger

"The tea is going out, the interruption is staying right here with me." HAHAHAHA

Krieps and the score are the MVP's. The way PTA nails the look of this thing. The lighting, the lenses, I wanna know how they did it.

@RichWS

giphy.gif

Far too low but I'll take it. Good work, fellow Paul Thomas Anderstans.

Spoiler

The Post

ThePost-large.jpg

Whkv2Y9.png

lIa5b6d.png

While The Post sounds like Oscar bait to the point of even being joked about as such during awards shows

it is still a very well made movie which shows that Spielberg is still a master at his craft. I think his prowess is pretty much taken for granted now which is why The Post has been shut out in all awards shows so far. Still worth the watch, and the ending leads straight into "All the President's Men". A timely movie in the Trump error era

User Reviews:

I'm biased, but having grown up in a newspaper family, I fully enjoyed this movie.

- @RandomYojimbo

Good movie, B+ - @MrPink

• Like 16
  • Disbelief 1