That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

Just now, JB33 said:

Was Marvel a "dwindling franchise" after AGE OF ULTRON? Exactly. I know you're high on Black Panther's success at the moment but let's refrain from statements like this, shall we?

The reception to Ultron was Meh

The reception to the TLJ is :sarah:

3 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

We'll see when Solo and IX come out lol. SW has never had the amount of output that Marvel has had these last 10 years.

Are we talking output or are we talking about earnings?

Just now, Rebeccas said:

The TFA-TLJ % drop is much bigger than TA-Ultron I think is the point.

I get the point. But TFA grossed almost a billion dollars. The drop off was gonna be huge even if the reception was better for TLJ. A lot of people didn't like the movie. I don't think the drop off is because people are losing interest in the franchise in general. 

• Like 1

Just now, SteveJaros said:

It did, and no question, $620m DOM and $1.326B WW is objectively a massive success.

But still, aren't you worried for "Solo" in a few months anyway? 

TBH Solo looks underwhelming as a film. So yeah.

25 minutes ago, seduh said:

Boxoffice.com just posted that the actual figure for Monday is $40,2 breaking the monday record. Total is $241,9 so the OW was $201,7. I can't believe that Black Panther breaks Star Wars record. One of the most impresive achievements in recent years. 

The last time I saw something this unexpectedly massive was Jurassic World's $210m opening. This is in that same category of your jaw dropping as the tidal wave rolls right over everything. 

Edited by SteveJaros

2 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

The Last Jedi made 66% of TFA's DOM box office. AOU made 74% of TA's. 

Not important... but interesting. (Disclaimer: I liked TLJ.)

Inflation adjusted it's 64% for TLJ and 71% for Ultron. TLJ had 2 years of inflation helping it while Ultron had 3 years of inflation helping it.

• Like 1

Just now, ecstasy said:

I get the point. But TFA grossed almost a billion dollars. The drop off was gonna be huge even if the reception was better for TLJ. A lot of people didn't like the movie. I don't think the drop off is because people are losing interest in the franchise in general. 

That's why we're talking about % drop not $ drop though.

I think SW going every year was going to mean diminishing power anyways, but I don't think TLJ helped at all.