That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

1 hour ago, Rebeccas said:

Yeah, I think this is truly a perfect storm situation just like how TFA capitalized on Star Wars fans being hungry as hell and the OT cast being back, BP capitalized on the desire to see diversity on screen + the love for the character in Civil War + Marvel fans in general + critical acclaim.

Agreed with this, it's a combination of multiple factors. Haven't seen this movie yet (will see it this weekend finally :)), but the movie also looks pretty damn good. The costumes are great, the actors charismatic, the trailers look cool. They hit all the right notes.

I'm incredibly happy that Black Panther of all CBMs is doing so great. Now nobody can ever use the excuse that they can't cast POC in lead roles because "it won't sell".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

The hallways are small, although that was always a bigger issue for me at Union Square. You have to take three or four escalators up, the screens suck, always a few assholes in the theater, the staff is terrible.

Yeah you replied before I edited. Regal Union Square was the one I was thinking of. UA Court Street has like 2 on yelp, lol.

1 hour ago, aabattery said:

January 10, 2018 6:30am

January 31, 2018 9:29am

February 16th, 2018 11:20PM

February 17th, 2018 11:53AM

February 17th, 2018 8:58PM

February 18th, 2018 12:13AM

February 18th, 2018 8:05AM

February 19th, 2018 12:05AM

February 20th, 2018 8:35AM

Crazy. It's just been going up and up and up and up and up and up and up and up and up.

• Like 3

Another record Black Panther will help Disney get: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/fasteststudios.htm

Rank Studio Year Days to
$1 billion
Date
Achieved
1 Buena Vista 2016 128 5/7/16
2 Buena Vista 2017 146 5/26/17
3 Universal 2015 165 6/14/15
4 Buena Vista 2015 174 6/23/15
5 Paramount 2008 174 6/22/08

Current releases (only from 2017 lol) should get them to $135m at least (at $129m). Then BP can get them $600m+, Wrinkle in time $100m+. So before Infinity War releases on 5/4/18, they will already have $835m+, which means IW needs a 3-day $165m (guaranteed) to get Disney to $1b domestic on 5/7/18. BUT this is actually 127 days, since 2016 was a leap year. SO, as long as BP doesn't have just a 2.5x multiplier or so, Disney should be pretty certain to take the record, once again! 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

San Fran Metreon is the 2nd biggest IMAX in the country. Enormous screen. Would guess it was jam-packed this past weekend and that will continue in the days ahead.

Whoa. Didn't know that. But I said that because Oakland theaters had the sell outs. Must be small theaters then.

1 minute ago, ecstasy said:

Whoa. Didn't know that. But I said that because Oakland theaters had the sell outs. Must be small theaters then.

Or much lower ticket prices. Metreon is expensive as hell I think. Similar to NYC Lincoln Square (biggest IMAX in the country). Those IMAX ticket prices seem to trickle down into the regular shows at those locations too. :lol:

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Or much lower ticket prices. Metreon is expensive as hell I think. Similar to NYC Lincoln Square (biggest IMAX in the country). Those IMAX ticket prices seem to trickle down into the regular shows at those locations too. :lol:

Aw man, lol.