Finnick

Weekend thread | Deadline Friday Est. (p.11) ~ PR:U 10.1M, BP 4.4M, ICOI 3.7M, TR 2.8M, SG 2.7M, AWIT 2.1M, L,S 2.3M, P,AOC 1.5M, MS 1.45M, GN 1.2M, U 1.3M

I only saw BP once, but Thor movies (which includes Avengers) are the only MCU movies I see more than twice anyway. Especially armed with the knowledge that the Russos were good to Thor in IW, I'll be at the theater every weekend during its box office run 😂.

They kinda told Hemsworth to piss off, when he approached them about using Waititi's Ragnarok Thor as a template for IW 😂? But I'm going to withhold judgement until I see what the Russos got. They got a "kung fu" hand to hand fetish, but I'm curious how they do weapons/magic combat like Thor.

Back to Panther, I  don't want to get spoilery here, but it wasn't the greatest MCU movie ever made. There was no reason to rewatch it. Annihilation and some other stuff came up, and I quickly moved on. 

Edited by OdinSon2k14

Game Night unexpectedly retains nearly the same dollar per venue average as last weekend.  Unsane, Midnight Sun, and Sherlock Gnomes seemed to be unable grab audiences from the 5 week old comedy Game Night.  Peter Rabbit should suffer the heaviest drop of the weekend.  Red Sparrow might pass it in the standings.  Death Wish should still be above 1 million.  Strangers 2, with about the same # of showings as Red Sparrow (and Paul, Apostle of Christ), will stay in the top 15 with close to 2 million.  

• Like 1

"BP is Big Only Cause Politics" = New "Avatar Is Big Only Cause 3D" = New "TDK Is Big Only Cause Ledger Died"

Movies don't get this big if they aren't genuinely loved at least at the time of their release. People may revise them later when they leave cinemas and hit home theaters, but legs/repeat business of this kind doesn't happen cause of gimmick. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, La Binoche said:

Now that the dust has settled, did people genuinely LOVE BP or did they get swept up by the hype and by Marvel's workmanlike efficiency in making and promoting the movie?

You couldn't pay me to see it a second time. 

I almost loved it, saw it twice, but I would anyway just because it's MCU. Without getting into spoilers: I loved the villain (the secondary villain too), and the main hero conflict in terms of how to be a king. It had some moments that were just breathtaking to me, but I felt that the time was a bit poorly distributed (too long first act, too short rest). And the cgi was just so crappy at times, that takes away from the movie a lot for me.

It's funny how my perception of movies after depends a lot on how many flaws I perceive in it. Spider-Man homecoming was a movie that didn't have much to make me love during the first watch, but remembering afterwards, the lack of problems in it made me like a lot retroactively, meanwhile BP had some of the greatest thrills, but the problems drag it down for me looking back.

9 hours ago, JJ-8 said:

Shame a hack director already tried and failed at that. Though that film is a guilty z grade pleasure of mine. 

Ahh, Uwe Boll. The myth himself. Yeah, nobody watched that movie, though :P I haven't seen his Far Cry adaptation myself, tbh.

I only know that if I was allowed to write and direct a Far Cry movie, it'd totally be the best video game movie ever :ph34r:. (It's not difficult, actually: just faithfully adapt the 1st half of Far Cry 3, which is pretty much everything up until the final showdown w/Vaas.)

Edited by MCKillswitch123

A movie simply doesnt get to 650M+ DOM if its not liked/loved by a large majority. Personal opinions otoh are just that.

I personally didnt really care for BP. It was entertaining enough, but ive forgotten nearly entirely about it 1 month later. In my opinion as a movie, it isnt special at all. Just another Marvel film with mediocre lighting, camera work and mediocre Effects. The acting, story and the villain were fine, but again, nothing really great. Just solid.

However, the numbers that this movie delivers clearly points towards a ton of people who think otherwise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

BP is up there with Winter Soldier as far as I'm concerned.

I'd like to hear what the haters ideal BP movie is like cause as a hardcore BP fan it's hard for me to imagine a better executed BP movie.

Calling people "haters" is just an invitation for conflict, you know that right? Nothing can ever please every single person out there, it's just how tastes work but it doesn't mean that people who weren't so appreciative of it are suddenly "haters". That seems awfully defensive in a black and white manner.

Were I you I'd just be glad that I loved it and that it was a resounding success.

As for my own personal opinion I thought it was loads of fun and I did indeed really like the villain.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

A movie simply doesnt get to 650M+ DOM if its not liked/loved by a large majority. Personal opinions otoh are just that.

I personally didnt really care for BP. It was entertaining enough, but ive forgotten nearly entirely about it 1 month later. In my opinion as a movie, it isnt special at all. Just another Marvel film with mediocre lighting, camera work and mediocre Effects. The acting, story and the villain were fine, but again, nothing really great. Just solid.

However, the numbers that this movie delivers clearly points towards a ton of people who think otherwise.

exactly my take on BP.  just another movie, nothing special at all.  BUT, like you said, it doesn't mean it didn't resonate with a lot of people.  Obviously it did or else it would have stopped making money a long time ago.

I give the movie all its due for the money it's making and for entertaining all the people that it does

• Like 4

Personally, Panther is my favorite MCU movie and yes I understand the critiques and respect that other weren’t too hot on it but their audience clearly resonated with it otherwise it wouldn’t have had this strong legs even with one of the most shittiest March’s so far.

• Like 3

Gonna quote this here instead of the thread from two weeks ago.

On 3/12/2018 at 11:24 AM, George Parr said:

Yeah, that list isn't particularly close to being true. You can't just take the average ticket prices of a year and apply those to a movie. To get even a somewhat decent view of how many tickets a movie may have sold, you need to look at what would be the average ticket price of the movie itself, which requires looking at the shares of 2D, 3D, IMAX and whatever other category there is. Sadly, those numbers aren't always available.

Avatar, for example, has a grossly inflated number in this chart, because it had an 80% 3D-share, if I remember correctly. Estimates for it basically put it on one level with The Dark Knight in terms of tickets sold. TFA also has a pretty high share of 3D and other expensive tickets, putting it somewhere in the low 90s, definately not above 100m. The same obviously applies to much of that list. Exact numbers are impossible to tell, as unlike in many other places, tickets sold does not seem to be something that gets counted for individual movies.

I think it was @spizzer who once posted a list based on calculations that included the shares of different tickets. Not sure if he still has it floating around somewhere.

I do still have the lists but latest update was probably December 2015 with The Force Awakens.  I haven't really maintained my BO data archive much in the last couple of years.

I think I made a thread for it as well (perhaps more than once).

Black Panther is great. I think it far exceeds its hype. Plus it wouldn't have done well as it did, if audiences didn't care for it, which is clearly not the case. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 4