Fancyarcher

Weekend Thread | Estimates: AQP 50M, RP1 25M, CKBLK 21.4M, BP 8.4M,

1 hour ago, svenson said:

FOX will never go to Disney. Its already under appeal for not to happen. One movie company can not have so much power and be top at the boxoffice every year and likely every month. 

It will.

Murdoch owns Trump’s favourite news channel, and Disney have been playing up to Trump heavily recently (the “we’re using our government tax cut money to give Disneyland staff a bonus” stunt, the very half hearted Roseanne stunt). 

12 minutes ago, AJG said:

It will.

Murdoch owns Trump’s favourite news channel, and Disney have been playing up to Trump heavily recently (the “we’re using our government tax cut money to give Disneyland staff a bonus” stunt, the very half hearted Roseanne stunt). 

Trump does not have power over everything. We will see. But if it happens the movie industry is toast. Directors have even been out saying this will be bad for everyone. 

1 hour ago, svenson said:

FOX will never go to Disney. Its already under appeal for not to happen. One movie company can not have so much power and be top at the boxoffice every year and likely every month. 

It will go through the merger of Disney and Fox 100%

3 minutes ago, svenson said:

Trump does not have power over everything. We will see. But if it happens the movie industry is toast. Directors have even been out saying this will be bad for everyone. 

Not power, but he does have influence. It’s going down.

• Like 2

@svenson

Trump made sure Fox News was staying with news corp before backing off lol. He’s already been involved and gave it the green light. The DOJ is responsible for the case. Guess who the DOJ works for. 

http://variety.com/2017/politics/news/donald-trump-disney-fox-deal-1202642003/amp/

Perhaps look Into it first before commenting?

Edited by HouseOfTheSun

2 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I know all studios want their cinematic universes now because of Marvel but how about focusing on making good individual movies first and if it happens it happens? Hell, it's young days yet and maybe it falters soon but The Conjuring franchise is doing pretty darn well and you know what it has in common with the MCU? The first film in the franchise is solid, gives you likable characters and an interesting world but doesn't overwhelm with tedious world building. It's focus is on being a singularly good film first. I wish Universal (who should have made horror movies with their horror characters) and WB had understood that when it came to their comic book movies anyway.

The Conjuring franchise is interesting in that you can easily watch Annabelle 1 and 2 without having seen The Conjuring and you don't have to worry about any big crossover happening either. They tease Annabelle and The Nun but you don't have to worry about seeing those films if you just like The Conjuring.

I think the fact WB has put people who are instrumental to the success of The Conjuring franchise and IT in charge of DC Films as well as the success of Wonder Woman which was self contained makes me think that their MO for DC for the next couple of films, loosely connected but still set in the same world and I think personally that Aquaman and Shazam can turn a corner for WB/DC along with WW2.

• Like 3

For folks not paying attention in the Solo thread:

Sometime during American Idol (8pm EDT)

Time Zones:

PDT (US West Coast): 5pm

BST (UK): 1am, Mon

CEST (Central Europe): 2am, Mon

AEST (Australia East Coast): 10am, Mon

NZST (New Zealand): Noon, Mon

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I know all studios want their cinematic universes now because of Marvel but how about focusing on making good individual movies first and if it happens it happens? Hell, it's young days yet and maybe it falters soon but The Conjuring franchise is doing pretty darn well and you know what it has in common with the MCU? The first film in the franchise is solid, gives you likable characters and an interesting world but doesn't overwhelm with tedious world building. It's focus is on being a singularly good film first. I wish Universal (who should have made horror movies with their horror characters) and WB had understood that when it came to their comic book movies anyway.

I watched The Mummy recently and it was horrendously bad. Trying badly to be a Marvel blockbuster with loads of humor  instead of horror and just badly done all around. Russell Crowe should have been nominated for the Oscar though

Edited by John Marston
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

I watched The Mummy recently and it was horrendously bad. Trying badly to be a Marvel blockbuster instead of horror and just badly done all around. Russell Crowe should have been nominated for the Oscar though

I totally thought you were talking about the Rachel Weisz and Brendon Fraiser one for a hot sec, and got superheated before I remembered there's another one with Tom Cruise.  

:hahaha:

Edited by captainwondyful
formatting
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I totally thought you were talking about the Rachel Weisz and Brendon Fraiser one for a hot sec, and go superheated before I remembered there's another one with Tom Cruise.  :hahaha:

Any movie with Rachel Weisz in it is down by law. Including that Mummy movie, which even if she wasn't in it, was still pretty ...not bad. 

Edited by SteveJaros

4 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I totally thought you were talking about the Rachel Weisz and Brendon Fraiser one for a hot sec, and go superheated before I remembered there's another one with Tom Cruise.  :hahaha:

Love how the new Mummy couldn’t even outgross The Scorpion King 

Edited by John Marston

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

I watched The Mummy recently and it was horrendously bad. Trying badly to be a Marvel blockbuster with loads of humor  instead of horror and just badly done all around. Russell Crowe should have been nominated for the Oscar though

The first half an hour(after the introduction/exposition scene that is and until after the morgue scene) and the last half an hour(around the time Crowe transformed) were honestly B-film fun and I wouldn't mind watching more of that in a sequel but I have no idea what they were doing in between, I kept nodding off and I'm usually pretty easy on this sort of movie.

I think they just bit off more than they could chew, it felt like a script problem to me, too many cooks, too much studio interference, too much ambition, etc.

9 minutes ago, Thematrixfilm said:

how is A Quiet Place holding compared to yesterday?  

I keep checking back here hoping for an update from someone only to be disappointed.  I could see anywhere from 17-20 for today.  White I enjoyed it I feel very uncertain about the legs.  Evening shows have been strong in my area, but daytime not so much....  Guess we'll have to wait and see.

predicted totals at the end of Thursday.

A Quiet Place  - 66.94

Ready Player -  102.80

Blockers - 27.58

Black Panther - 667.51

I Can Only Imagine - 71.34

Acrimony - 33.16

Chappaquiddick - 6.67

Isle of Dogs - 15.57

Sherlock Gnomes - 33.85

Pacific Rim - 56.03

Miracle Season - 5.44

Wrinkle in Time - 90.77