Fancyarcher

Weekend Thread: Rampage 34.5M, AQP 32.6M, ToD 19M, RPO 11.2M, Blockers 10.2M

38 minutes ago, Treeze Rutledge said:

That sounds really impressive until you realise there are in fact 8 Dwayne Johnson films over 100M, not 11. Which admittedly is still really impressive but whatever, they're wrong. 

Are you excluding Moana and some of the Fast & Furious movies?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=rock.htm

12 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I agree with your concept of original, but those are the analysis that come from us with knowledge about the film, and sometimes our analysis maybe way too technical, but for causal moviegoers, those are new brands. Sometime, we need to imagine if we are not BOT members and just a random guys who just walked into the theater based on their instinct, they are the massive crowd that make up the large part of audiences.    

Fair enough, that's a good justification to call them originals... although I'm pretty sure that at the very least RPO, ICOI and, albeit you didn't mention it, Tomb Raider were all recognized as movies based on something else. (Though I imagine you didn't mention TR cause it's a reboot of an already existing movie series.) Peter Rabbit too, at least for UK audiences.

That being said, like I mentioned, I get what you're saying, and it makes sense.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

25 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I mean, I know what you mean by "original", but I think we could reserve that for movies that are really originals, as in movies not based on anything pre-existing. :P

Didn't know about the 2014 NOS-WB story, but thank God for WB that NOS has become a marketing force. They did a pretty good job w/Tomb Raider and Paddington 2 (which, well, shame about its drop). Hell, one of the best promoted movies of 2018 so far, at least here, is still The Commuter (which isn't WB, but HOLY SHIT did they promote the ever loving fuck out of that). Rampage.... yeah, not so much. The lack of marketing for it really did give the impression that WB was not confident with it. Not surprised it won't touch Kong.

Holy shit, I forgot about Early Man :rofl:  My God, what a disaster. Yeah, box office-wise, Gnome Alone looks like an Illumination movie by comparison. It's sad to see just how far Aardman have fallen, they used to be at the absolute forefront of animated quality, alongside Pixar and Ghibli. Hell, they released The Shaun The Sheep Movie just a few years ago, and that was a fun little movie based on a fun little cartoon. I haven't seen Early Man, but I haven't heard the best about it, and its BO..... woof.

OH, Paradiso came out 30 years ago. The Portuguese release date led me to think it was 1990. That makes a lot more sense. Didn't know about FdCI, but yeah, makes sense too.

NOS and Big Pictures nowadays pretty much do everything in their power to sell their movies. If something isn't a hit, it usually isn't because they didn't try. The first year of WB with NOS was a fucking disaster, they had to do a complete revamp of the team in early 2015. Tomb Raider was MGM here... which means it was NOS, because they have a contract with them. And Paddington 2 was bought independently... by NOS. The Commuter had a terrific marketing campaign.

Shaun the Sheep was a hit here, I think it sold over 125.000 tickets in total. Early Man had a very poor performance considering the strong marketing push it got and the brand behind it.

• Like 1

If you consider Dwayne Johnson to be a "lead role" in 5 and 7 then the term "lead" has lost all meaning. He is a supporting character in 5 and a main character with no screen time in 7. He had to be pretty much cut out of the script because of filming schedule conflicts which is why he gets hospitalised in the opening scene and only comes back in the final scene.

7 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Jim on $6.1b after just 7 films.

By 2022 (or 2021) Jim is the highest grossing director

by 2024 everyone is left in the dust

9*

While I got no clue when A2 and 3 are releasing, they'll bring him up to 9.5 at most. Berg will have Indy 5 bringing him to at least 10.7 or 10.8

22 minutes ago, Treeze Rutledge said:

If you consider Dwayne Johnson to be a "lead role" in 5 and 7 then the term "lead" has lost all meaning. He is a supporting character in 5 and a main character with no screen time in 7. He had to be pretty much cut out of the script because of filming schedule conflicts which is why he gets hospitalised in the opening scene and only comes back in the final scene.

People certainly bought tickets to 5 because he was in it. His character was the main selling point to distinguish 5 from 4. 

I have no qualms with your assessment of 7. It’s just not a big deal if that total number of 9 figure gross films “starring” The Rock is off by 1.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DAJK said:

9*

While I got no clue when A2 and 3 are releasing, they'll bring him up to 9.5 at most. Berg will have Indy 5 bringing him to at least 10.7 or 10.8

$3.4b is the max for two avatar films combined??? Thats crazy low.

Also it's 7 films, counting pirahanna is debatable. Not sure where you another after that from.

@baumer

No one ever talks about director gross :( its my chance to strike

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

$3.4b is the max for two avatar films combined??? Thats crazy low.

Also it's 7 films, counting pirahanna is debatable. Not sure where you another after that from.

@baumer

No one ever talks about director gross :( its my chance to strike

Yea, no way either touches 2B again. My guess is 500DOM for A2 and about 1.2B OS, same for part 3

• Like 1

2 hours ago, picores said:

Nice opening for Rampage. 100m DOM very much alive. IW will have the last word.

From a 37m to 26m estimate by Friday and then pulling off a 36m , I think the wom from GA is really good irrespective of reviews. Hope it pulls off a journey 2. 29m opening to 100m+ finish 

1 hour ago, Treeze Rutledge said:

Anything more than a cameo or bit part counts towards a star's box office history and totals.