Fancyarcher

Weekend Thread: Rampage 34.5M, AQP 32.6M, ToD 19M, RPO 11.2M, Blockers 10.2M

I don't wanna start/restart the "IW is not a Summer movie" argument, so I'll just move on from that :P. As far as MP, honestly, I can't tell whether or not is there any situation where it comes out successfully. The previous deal was more than likely a big profit loser for them (correct me if I'm wrong there), and now this.... will probably lose them subscribers albeit not as much in cash. Well, maybe not now, because IW is coming and then it's Summer right after, but still.

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It's more summer that matters. IW is the kick off to that. Most will have way more movies they want to see in the summer, and it's certainly possible some who have known about MP could have been holding off until that. 

Based on the subscription I have, people could have signed up just for May and gotten IW+DP2+Solo for basically the price of one and then cancelled. 

You have to be more strategic - you sign up June 1 (under the old plan) and get those 3 and then also get Ocean's 8, Incredibles 2, and Jurassic World 2 for 6 good movies for 1 month's price:)...

It's probably smart of Moviepass, now that's it's coming to its 1st summer season as a major player (vs the tiny company it was last May) to be a value, but not an amazing one, for that summer season.  It would be too easy for the 18-22 college set to go every day if they want, and that would be a bankrupting thing...

I bet in August, you'll see the re-roll out of month-to-month or annual stupid cheap plans...

the poor drops for Pacific Rim and Ready Player One are not a good sign for how Rampage could run up until June.  

did Rampage pull more family audience than Power Rangers?  

I think Dwayne Johnson was a difference maker that brought extra people out like The Pacifier with Vin Diesel.

Dragon Ball Evolution did not have much of a pull and was frontloaded from day 1.  

8 minutes ago, Thematrixfilm said:

the poor drops for Pacific Rim and Ready Player One are not a good sign for how Rampage could run up until June.  

did Rampage pull more family audience than Power Rangers?  

I think Dwayne Johnson was a difference maker that brought extra people out like The Pacifier with Vin Diesel.

Dragon Ball Evolution did not have much of a pull and was frontloaded from day 1.  

RPO dropped badly this weekend but it's still done alright... if you take its opening to be 47M then its still finishing with a 3x multi. That's decent. 

• Like 2

ICOI is done now, last week I thought it had a long shot chance at 100m but it would have needed to keep up the 20% drops or lower.  Still an impressive list run.

BP is still up in the air on hitting 700m but it’ll really need an IW double feature boost. Plus, I think early VOD release could put an early end to its legs.

Blockers is doing well but won’t hit 100m after that drop.

Nice opening for Truth or Dare, I expect It to collapse though.  Rampage has a decent opening but I think it’ll hit around 85-95m, OW is to small to leg its way to 100m when IW will kill it two weeks from now.

Wrinkle In Time will probably end its run around 95m or so, doesn’t look like it’ll have enough juice to push it to 100m.

A Quiet Place is obviously doing great, with a second weekend above what some people had for its opening.  It’s definitely gotten a lot of buzz and I think its legs will keep up, despite some heavy competition these next few weeks.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Deja23 said:

It’s $29.95 for 3 months. So 12 2D movie tickets. Plus one time $6.55 activation fee. It’s not a terrible deal, but sucks compared to the previous unlimited deal.

The average consumer would need to see 5 movies over those 3 months to break even?  Not a terrible deal but also not going to do anything to help MP’s profitability

27 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

ICOI is done now, last week I thought it had a long shot chance at 100m but it would have needed to keep up the 20% drops or lower.  Still an impressive list run.

BP is still up in the air on hitting 700m but it’ll really need an IW double feature boost. Plus, I think early VOD release could put an early end to its legs.

Nice opening for Truth or Dare, I expect It to collapse though.  Rampage has a decent opening but I think it’ll hit around 85-95m, OW is to small to leg its way to 100m when IW will kill it two weeks from now.

Wrinkle In Time will probably end its run around 95m or so, doesn’t look like it’ll have enough juice to push it to 100m.

A Quiet Place is obviously doing great, with a second weekend above what some people had for its opening.  It’s definitely gotten a lot of buzz and I think its legs will keep up, despite some heavy competition these next few weeks.

Blockers never had a chance of hitting a 100mil. I do hope that A Quiet Place holds up against Avengers.

Rampage opened solidly, though the overseas number is obviously the bigger story. The movie looks pretty thoroughly generic, so I'd say the strength of the opening is yet another testament to Dwayne Johnson's status as one of the few stars capable of opening a movie on name appeal alone. The multiplier was a bit stronger than I was expecting, but $100 million may still be a tall order with Avengers coming down the pipe to wipe it out in two weeks; nevertheless, it will go down as a winner thanks to its international performance.

A Quiet Place had a great hold, especially considering the presence of another PG-13 horror entry in the top three and how ugly other drops in the top ten were. (Like BOM, I genuinely thought it was going to repeat at #1 based on the Friday estimates.) Time will tell whether it might have a shot at $200 million, but it should at least have enough gas in the tank to match Get Out's total from last year.

Truth or Dare did pretty well, all things considered. With A Quiet Place kicking ass and taking names at unanticipated levels, this one was far from a sure thing to open as high as it did. Like all other Blumhouse properties, it's bound to turn a massive profit against its low budget.

Ready Player One got hit pretty hard. It should be able to finish around at least $135-140 million domestically, though we'll see how Avengers affects it in a couple weeks.

Blockers got hit way harder than I was expecting. My audience enjoyed the hell out of it, so I definitely thought a soft drop was in order. Nevertheless, it's still headed for a total near $60 million, which isn't bad for a modestly-budgeted R-rated comedy.

Black Panther held about in line with previous weekends.

I wish Isle of Dogs had performed better, but it was an odd sell as a PG-13 stop motion animated film that was clearly aimed more at adults than children. It will top the gross of Fantastic Mr. Fox, but its chances of coming anywhere near Moonrise Kingdom's gross are dashed at this point.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Blockers won't hit 100M? Yeah no shit. It opened to 20M why would you have ever thought it would make 100?

2 minutes ago, Treeze Rutledge said:

Blockers won't hit 100M? Yeah no shit. It opened to 20M why would you have ever thought it would make 100?

I didn’t think it would but there was a long shot chance for it to develop strong legs.  Now that chance is gone

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

You have to be more strategic - you sign up June 1 (under the old plan) and get those 3 and then also get Ocean's 8, Incredibles 2, and Jurassic World 2 for 6 good movies for 1 month's price:)...

It's probably smart of Moviepass, now that's it's coming to its 1st summer season as a major player (vs the tiny company it was last May) to be a value, but not an amazing one, for that summer season.  It would be too easy for the 18-22 college set to go every day if they want, and that would be a bankrupting thing...

I bet in August, you'll see the re-roll out of month-to-month or annual stupid cheap plans...

Good point about the college demo, they could have definitely abused the heck out of MP in the summer with the old plan. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I'm guessing under $1m for the weekend.  

Eh, not terrible I guess considering it's probably just Canada. Thanks though! :)

Great movie too, @baumer if it plays anywhere near you, it's a very good film if you get the chance. Liked it better than Paul Gross's films and I really liked Hyena Road. Great step in Canadian filmmaking 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

I didn’t think it would but there was a long shot chance for it to develop strong legs.  Now that chance is gone

I suppose there's also a long shot for TRUTH OR DARE to reach 100M since it opened to the same numbers as BLOCKERS, right?

I suppose there's also a long shot for TRUTH OR DARE to reach 100M since it opened to the same numbers as BLOCKERS, right?

Come on now, you know good and well if you follow box office that a comedy getting a 5x multi if it has great WOM isn't unheard of. Horror getting a 5x multi on the other hand is basically unheard of, unless you're Get Out. 

• Like 1

the only recent comedy that had a run anywhere near 20/100 that I can think of was Sisters, and that was at christmas. yes ofc I was being facetious but I still can't really see why anyone would have thought it could do 100M

the only recent comedy that had a run anywhere near 20/100 that I can think of was Sisters, and that was at christmas. yes ofc I was being facetious but I still can't really see why anyone would have thought it could do 100M

Again, there's a difference between thinking something could do something (or predicting it) and being open to the fact that it's possible for something to happen.

For example, I think it's possible for IW to break the OW record even though that's not what my current prediction is (granted, I think that's more likely than whatever chance I would have given Blockers to make 100m).