Fancyarcher

Weekend Thread: Rampage 34.5M, AQP 32.6M, ToD 19M, RPO 11.2M, Blockers 10.2M

Blockers is hilarious. As I mentioned in my super-brief analysis a few posts up, the audience I saw it with loved it, so I could have seen it having great legs (though $100 million did indeed seem like a huge longshot after that opening weekend number came in). Alas, it lost about half of its audience this weekend.

Looking ahead: what odds are we placing on A Quiet Place returning to #1 next weekend? It had a terrific hold this weekend, it will probably hold better than Rampage next weekend, and I don't see any of next week's pre-Avengers cannon fodder having much firepower.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Treeze Rutledge said:

the only recent comedy that had a run anywhere near 20/100 that I can think of was Sisters, and that was at christmas. yes ofc I was being facetious but I still can't really see why anyone would have thought it could do 100M

R-rated comedies used to make 100 mil more frequently than they do now. It's kind of a bummer really. Maybe all those stand up comedians are right and people really are overly sensitive these days. 

Edited by tonytr87

7 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Blockers is hilarious. As I mentioned in my super-brief analysis a few posts up, the audience I saw it with loved it, so I could have seen it having great legs (though $100 million did indeed seem like a huge longshot after that opening weekend number came in). Alas, it lost about half of its audience this weekend.

Looking ahead: what odds are we placing on A Quiet Place returning to #1 next weekend? It had a terrific hold this weekend, it will probably hold better than Rampage next weekend, and I don't see any of next week's pre-Avengers cannon fodder having much firepower.

Probably a 90% chance. It's not going to drop more than 35% whereras it's hard to see Rampage dropping below 40-45%

I’ve had my MP since last October under the original plan and honestly, it hasn’t really made me go see too many more movies than I normally would have. Mostly it’s allowed me to see a few of them multiple times when, before, I would have only gone once. My wife’s probably gotten more out of it than me as she’s gone to see a few movies that otherwise she would’ve just waited to watch at home. 

Moviepass confirmed on their instagram that this is a new promotion for new subscribers and that it would not effect old subscribers. Furthermore, just like previous promotions you might be able to get the old plan if you sign up via the app instead of using the website. Im not going to sign out of my account to find out lol.

Edited by YLF
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yeah, so Orlando IMAXs weren't alone on this:

Not surprising given that the move to April 13 happened fairly recently. I'm guessing most IMAXes will shift all the showtimes to Rampage next weekend.

Or maybe an eleventh-hour announcement about a surprise one-week run for A Quiet Place? :ph34r:

Edited by Webslinger

10 hours ago, Treeze Rutledge said:

the only recent comedy that had a run anywhere near 20/100 that I can think of was Sisters, and that was at christmas. yes ofc I was being facetious but I still can't really see why anyone would have thought it could do 100M

...technically Pitch Perfect 3 is a comedy (or so I guess) and it made 100M off of a mid-20's 4-day opening. But, like you mentioned, Christmas. Bad Moms also had a low-mid 20's/100 run, but Summer. That being said, w/something like Game Night's multiplier, Blockers could have shot to the 85-90M range, off chance for 100. Whatever chance there was, it is totally dead now, though.

@MCKillswitch123 The Easter holidays are over and it shows. Solid, but not great, openings for Rampage and Winchester.

Pacific Rim crashed 70% from his OW. Peter Rabbit, Tomb Raider, Sherlock Gnomes and RPO also dropped very hard from the previous weekend.

http://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_12_a_15_abril_2018_89345ad47cf5b309c.pdf

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

@MCKillswitch123 The Easter holidays are over and it shows. Solid, but not great, openings for Rampage and Winchester.

Pacific Rim crashed 70% from his OW. Peter Rabbit, Tomb Raider, Sherlock Gnomes and RPO also dropped very hard from the previous weekend.

http://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_12_a_15_abril_2018_89345ad47cf5b309c.pdf

Yeah, compared to the openings of Tomb Raider and RPO, Rampage's doesn't look all that great in the picture. Dwayne is #CRUMBLING in Portugal :sparta:

Wasn't Gnome Alone supposed to have a US release? I mean, compared to almost every animated movie released here, it's a mini-flop, but at least (for itself) it's making some money :sparta:

Honestly, the most curious thing in the list is a re-release of Cinema Paradiso making 4.6K in revenue :ohmygod: 

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Yeah, compared to the openings of Tomb Raider and RPO, Rampage's doesn't look all that great in the picture. Dwayne is #CRUMBLING in Portugal :sparta:

Wasn't Gnome Alone supposed to have a US release? I mean, compared to almost every animated movie released here, it's a mini-flop, but at least (for itself) it's making some money :sparta:

Honestly, the most curious thing in the list is a re-release of Cinema Paradiso making 4.6K in revenue :ohmygod: 

Rampage's opening is half of what Tomb Raider did lmao. The real surprise is that it wasn't even able to top RPO's opening. It might fail to reach the 100.000 tickets sold if Avengers hits it hard on April 25 which would be a shock.

Gnome Alone seems to have disappeared from the US schedule but it did really well here. Sherlock Gnomes also crashed really hard this week so it is gona end below Gnome Alone here for sure.

Cinema Paraiso is having a solid re-release run on the UCI theaters.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Rampage's opening is half of what Tomb Raider did lmao. The real surprise is that it wasn't even able to top RPO's opening. It might fail to reach the 100.000 tickets sold if Avengers hits it hard on April 25 which would be a shock.

Gnome Alone seems to have disappeared from the US schedule but it did really well here. Sherlock Gnomes also crashed really hard this week so it is gona end below Gnome Alone here for sure.

Cinema Paraiso is having a solid re-release run on the UCI theaters.

That would be tragic, coming off the O/U 2M revenue that Jumanji made. Hell, is it gonna be anywhere near what Godzilla and Kong made? Eesh. But sadly, I kinda saw it coming, because unlike Tomb Raider and even RPO, I didn't notice any hype or any hard marketing around here. TR in particular attracted a lot of female moviegoers (+ the game fans obv., and Portugal's gaming community is pretty hardcore), as I'm aware through anecdotal evidence. And RPO got a hard marketing push before it came out.

It seems that, if you have a gnome pun in your title, you won't even made 600K in revenue, when even movies like Peter Rabbit shit that kind of money for breakfast. (Please tell me Paddington 2 did more than that, btw.) I mean, I guess that's a good total for Gnome Alone, especially if it beats Sherlock, but... y'know, when you have a Coco and a Ferdinand in the same chart, it kinda stands out :lol:. Still, those two were Christmas-season releases, so I presume GA's number isn't bad overall.

Portugal has some very random re-releases every now and then :rofl:. I remember the Sing one a while ago, but at least that one kinda had the justification of basically serving as promotion for The Voice Portugal.... don't know why Cinema Paradiso of all films would be re-launched here now, but HEY, it's doing well.

7 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

That would be tragic, coming off the O/U 2M revenue that Jumanji made. Hell, is it gonna be anywhere near what Godzilla and Kong made? Eesh. But sadly, I kinda saw it coming, because unlike Tomb Raider and even RPO, I didn't notice any hype or any hard marketing around here. TR in particular attracted a lot of female moviegoers (+ the game fans obv., and Portugal's gaming community is pretty hardcore), as I'm aware through anecdotal evidence. And RPO got a hard marketing push before it came out.

It seems that, if you have a gnome pun in your title, you won't even made 600K in revenue, when even movies like Peter Rabbit shit that kind of money for breakfast. (Please tell me Paddington 2 did more than that, btw.) I mean, I guess that's a good total for Gnome Alone, especially if it beats Sherlock, but... y'know, when you have a Coco and a Ferdinand in the same chart, it kinda stands out :lol:. Still, those two were Christmas-season releases, so I presume GA's number isn't bad overall.

Portugal has some very random re-releases every now and then :rofl:. I remember the Sing one a while ago, but at least that one kinda had the justification of basically serving as promotion for The Voice Portugal.... don't know why Cinema Paradiso of all films would be re-launched here now, but HEY, it's doing well.

Rampage is easily gonna beat Godzilla because that was released during the first year of WB movies with NOS and that was an awful year, every movie had the worst possible marketing campaign and Godzilla was one of the victims, but it won't touch Kong. I would say Rampage had less marketing than RPO or Tomb Raider. Marketing in the streets seemed to be confined to the subway unlike those two, for example.

Paddington 2 was a big disappointment here as it dropped hard from the first one, but it still beat Gnome Alone's total, even if barely. Ferdinand and Coco were the big Christmas players and Paddington 2 got lost in the shuffle even thought it probably had the biggest marketing campaign of the 3. The Gnome Alone number is perfectly fine all things considered. It is gonna end up above Sherlock Gnomes, which had the Easter holidays, and it could be worse, it could pull an Early Man lmao.

I think the re-release is related to the Festa do Cinema Italiano which was a week ago combined with the 30th anniversary of the movie.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Rampage is easily gonna beat Godzilla because that was released during the first year of WB movies with NOS and that was an awful year, every movie had the worst possible marketing campaign and Godzilla was one of the victims, but it won't touch Kong. I would say Rampage had less marketing than RPO or Tomb Raider. Marketing in the streets seemed to be confined to the subway unlike those two, for example.

Paddington 2 was a big disappointment here as it dropped hard from the first one, but it still beat Gnome Alone's total, even if barely. Ferdinand and Coco were the big Christmas players and Paddington 2 got lost in the shuffle even thought it probably had the biggest marketing campaign of the 3. The Gnome Alone number is perfectly fine all things considered. It is gonna end up above Sherlock Gnomes, which had the Easter holidays, and it could be worse, it could pull an Early Man lmao.

I think the re-release is related to the Festa do Cinema Italiano which was a week ago combined with the 30th anniversary of the movie.

Seems kind of odd that it'll easily beat Godzilla but won't touch Kong when the movies are only 40~ mil from each other. And honestly with 100~mil dom 520mil WW will be a challenge for Rampage

Edited by Ledmonkey96

6 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Seems kind of odd that it'll easily beat Godzilla but won't touch Kong when the movies are only 40~ mil from each other. And honestly with 100~mil dom 520mil WW will be a challenge for Rampage

He's talking about Portugal ;)

• Like 1