baumer

Avengers Infinity War Part 1 (2018)

Grade it  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Fun film. Lots of cool stuff. I really dug it for the most part. The good things about the film are well trodden ground that tend to agree with, so I'll just mention why I think this is just a really good, but not great film.

The film's "shock" ending lacked the gravitas it was aiming for as you know for a fact Marvel ain't throwing big money spinners like Guardians, Spider-Man and Black Panther away in one go like that. The reports of people walking out theatres speechless and in tears made me think Cap, Thor or Iron Man were getting genuinely fucked over in this film. Nah. Some supporting characters get the chop yeah, no huge deal. I kind of knew Marvel wouldn't have the balls to actually kill one of the big ones, which I suppose separates most superhero films from some other big non-superhero franchise films. The superheroes are the selling point, and their own security in these film's, kind of stop these film's from moving onto the next level. There were no Logan level deaths.

Onto Thanos, I thought he was a brilliant villain and definite stand out of the film. I have a gripe with time stone though. I'm not a Marvel expert, but why doesn't Doctor Strange just reverse time each time something bad happens. That time controlling infinity stone is the Marvel Universe equivalent of the Lord of the Rings eagles.

Anyway, all in all, a fun trip to the pictures and one of the better Marvel movies. For sure the most epic!

B+ for me.

Big crowd for a 2130 showing on a Monday night in the UK. Was stuck on the bottom platform part of the auditorium. 

• Like 2

I think it’s cool the next film we’ll be getting the original avengers vs Thanos. And by the original avengers I mean everyone who was in the first movie (IM, Cap, Thor, Hulk, Hawkeye, Black Widow), every hero who was around back then and could’ve/should’ve been (War Machine), and everyone who wasn’t but was part of the original avengers in the comics (Ant-Man & The Wasp). I’m guessing a few of them will be trading lives for the new avengers (not directly but it’ll just work out that way).

Im guessing they killed off all the guardians save Rocket so they can reunite with Gamora one last time in the soul stone. Dunno if they can bring her out. I know you want to blame Star Lord for foiling the plan but I can only blame him too much when it was his own plan and we love Gamora...still dammit Quill!

My favorite scene was Cap, Falcon and Widow’s appearance. They get the original Avengers score (also got the biggest applause). He just comes out of no where when you aren’t expecting him, in the darkness kindve like this:

Perfect timing. The dialogue was on point. Couldn’t get enough of Doctor Strange, the guardians, Thor, and Spider-Man in this. Iron Man’s Mark L armor had some of the coolest visuals in the film. The end credits scene was well worth it. I guess that makes up for Sam Jackson’s complaints early that he hadn’t even been contacted for IW. I am so looking forward to Captain Marvel & part 2 of this (Ant-Man & The Wasp too). Give it an A-/A btw

Edited by MrSinister
Black Widow has some cool 1 liners too. A is for Avengers. Maybe when you combine it with A4 it becomes A+
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2018 at 8:11 PM, filmlover said:

Haven't they already

Spoiler

casted an actress to play the teenage version of Paul Rudd's daughter in Ant-Man?

Seems very likely that the next film is gonna jump forward a few years and allow us to see how the guilt of what happened still weighs on the survivors.

What. That sucks. Dunno if this is a spoiler or not?

Spoiler

So, they're gonna do AM&tW like normal, and then have a jump in the film?

21 hours ago, Joel M said:

I agree that a time jump would be a much much better choice. If they pick up exactly where they left with Tony coming back to earth and all the still alive Avengers immediately start working together while the world falls apart, by the time the snap will be undone it will feel like all the mostly-dead people never left. I want to see people crying in front of monuments, Tony agonizing with guilt, Cap drowining his sorrows in alcohol. Basically I want the next one to be Avengers: the Leftov4rs, at least for the first act.

I suppose Feige said it would be an end to this chapter and it would almost rewrite the stories for Phase 4, but I find it a bit hard to believe that SpiderMan & Black Panther sequels will skip ahead so many years. And it doesn't make any sense that they would time jump, only to rewind and go back to as if nothing had happened...

Everything seems a bit precarious with time/alternate timelines in the mix. Very, very easy to go wrong.

• Like 1

Lived up to the hype for me...

Positives

- Thanos stole the show. Alot rested on the MCU's biggest threat living up to the hype and he did. Brolin killed it. His CGI and Mo cap were fantastic.

- All the set pieces were great and the movie never really wasted anytime getting to the action sequences which all delivered (Battle on Titan, Strange vs Thanos were my personal favs) 

- Loved all he character interactions and banter. They did a good job splitting everyone up into groups to avoid overcrowding too much. Standouts for me were Strange, Ironman, Spidey and Drax.

- Brilliant ending with the finger snap. (Yes I know most of them are coming back, still well done)

Negatives

- With a movie of this scale and characters, some are bound to get the short end. Felt Cap's crew and Black Panther suffered as a result.

- Thor was great but his side-quest took a bit too long and the payoff didn't work that well for me. Should've had a longer fight with Thanos considering he lost so much. 

- Black Order were forgettable aside from Ebony Maw and even he died too quick IMO.

Overall this will go down as one of the top MCU entries for me. Good job Fiege and co. 9/10 (A)

• Like 6

There were 3 trailers shown namely:

Incredibles 2 - Some talk and laugh

Ant Man and the Wasp - Few murmurs

Deadpool 2 - Everybody started talkig about it for while even after the trailer was over! People Loved the DC remark :rofl:

Crowd was receptive. Lots of whistles during Spideys, Thor's, CA entry. 

This was fucking awesome! Never had too many goosebumps for SH movie in recent times. Thor:Ragnorak was the last i could think of but rest were just okay or good. 

AIW could have been a movie where it could have confused audiences by showcasing too many characters in different universe. But there was no room for that! 

Screenplay was tight. No boring moments at all. Movie's pace was consistent right from the start which leads to thrilling/emotional finale. 

Visuals were super cool. Thanos da man stole the show with his emotional side as well which was surprising went with flow without interrupting the proceedings. 

For me none of the characters were wasted. Each and every character had their bit to do and they were amazing in it. This is how movies should be exciting/thrilling/edge-of-the-seat/emotional/funny and whatnot. 

Eagerly waiting for the next part! 

9.5/10

• Like 5

On 5/2/2018 at 1:33 AM, John Rambo said:

There were 3 trailers shown namely:

Incredibles 2 - Some talk and laugh

Ant Man and the Wasp - Few murmurs

Deadpool 2 - Everybody started talkig about it for while even after the trailer was over! People Loved the DC remark :rofl:

Crowd was receptive. Lots of whistles during Spideys, Thor's, CA entry. 

This was fucking awesome! Never had too many goosebumps for SH movie in recent times. Thor:Ragnorak was the last i could think of but rest were just okay or good. 

AIW could have been a movie where it could have confused audiences by showcasing too many characters in different universe. But there was no room for that! 

Screenplay was tight. No boring moments at all. Movie's pace was consistent right from the start which leads to thrilling/emotional finale. 

Visuals were super cool. Thanos da man stole the show with his emotional side as well which was surprising went with flow without interrupting the proceedings. 

For me none of the characters were wasted. Each and every character had their bit to do and they were amazing in it. This is how movies should be exciting/thrilling/edge-of-the-seat/emotional/funny and whatnot. 

Eagerly waiting for the next part! 

9.5/10

But only like 1 SH movie has come out since Thor: Ragnarok. :P

Edited by BK007
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Overwhelming and meaningless to the same degree. It's like the last few episodes of a season before the finale, where every story thread start to come together, colliding with each other, but none is actually resolved. Nothing happens despite bombarding us with action and plot. Nothing matters because it's just half a movie. Infinity War is 100% product 0% art.

Silvestri work is indeed terrific and adds, at times, a bit of emotional depth where there was none. Hemsworth delivers for a potentially emotionally affecting scene, but the Russos can't frame/shoot/edit to save their lives, so that's ruined too. That's pretty much the only nice things I have to say about this movie, which is merely a 160 minutes teaser for the culmination of this soulless, corporate garbage franchise. 2/10

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Overwhelming and meaningless to the same degree. It's like the last few episodes of a season before the finale, where every story thread start to come together, colliding with each other, but none is actually resolved. Nothing happens despite bombarding us with action and plot. Nothing matters because it's just half a movie. Infinity War is 100% product 0% art.

Silvestri work is indeed terrific and adds, at times, a bit of emotional depth where there was none. Hemsworth delivers for a potentially emotionally affecting scene, but the Russos can't frame/shoot/edit to save their lives, so that's ruined too. That's pretty much the only nice things I have to say about this movie, which is merely a 160-minutes teaser for the culmination of this soulless, corporate garbage franchise. 2/10

Why do u even watch these movies?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Goffe said:

Silvestri work is indeed terrific and adds, at times, a bit of emotional depth where there was none. Hemsworth delivers for a potentially emotionally affecting scene, but the Russos can't frame/shoot/edit to save their lives, so that's ruined too. That's pretty much the only nice things I have to say about this movie, which is merely a 160 minutes teaser for the culmination of this soulless, corporate garbage franchise. 2/10

Hahaha, well said.

I feel guilty for enjoying it but I don't trick myself into thinking it's anything but dumb fun.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

The same way Avatar was nothing but dumb fun, eh?

Literally watched it today and god you're wrong.

Whenever I point out a simple truth people throw "Avatar was pocohontas" in my face rather than attempting to tell me why I'm wrong. I would say thats prett telling that im right.

• Like 1

No point in angling to find sociological significance in Infinity War when fans have been conditioned to enjoy this mayhem. Infinity War is not just trash, but it turns age-old questions of faith into trash — and does it for fun. Maybe the best word for that is: pathetic.

Armond has spoken 😂