CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

11 minutes ago, peludo said:

Revenge of the Sith set the OD record on a Thursday after that masterpiece called Attack of the Clones...

In the same way I must learn to not underestimate Kevin Feige, you should not do it with Star Wars.

It's not even really underestimating Star Wars for me.  I don't underestimate the marketing power of Disney when they have something good to sell AND they put their mind to it.

It's easy to doubt the power of the SW brand right this second.  But if Disney puts the power of their fully operational hype machine behind IX... Well, let's say I'm not going to doubt its box office gross until I am given a reason to do so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, eddyxx said:

But weren't there MCU marathons too?

At least based upon my admittedly small personal research, they didn't seem as widespread as the Star Wars marathons ahead of Force Awakens.

Despite the lack of my way-overused wink emoticon, I was only about half-serious in my previous post.

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I am soooooo tempted to create a Ep IX over 700m* DOM club EXACTLY on December 20th at the one year date when clubs can be created.  Just so I can get the names of all the doubters on record.

* Number still in flux; probably want to run some more comps first.

Not saying I'm going to.  But sakes alive, am I tempted.

As someone who is looking forward to 9, I don't see it increasing from TLJ. The big difference here is something Jay pointed out at RLM. A lot of people want to see where this goes. TLJ however felt like an ending. They are really going to need to do something special for 9 to get that type of audience back.

It will still do good but there's no doubt that, that film is divisive which is probably not what Disney wanted. I expect to see a lot of fan service in the trailers for 9.

Just now, Rman823 said:

So the question is will the record be broken again next year with Avengers 4 ?

And that is a great question because I don't see the audience for this going anywhere. I see the hype leading into that being just as massive. Maybe it can top this if more people catch up on all the films in the meantime and get caught up in all this news.

I dunno man. I'd expect it to hold onto the same audience but I don't know if it will grow from there. It will definitely be an event again.

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

As someone who is looking forward to 9, I don't see it increasing from TLJ. The big difference here is something Jay pointed out at RLM. A lot of people want to see where this goes. TLJ however felt like an ending. They are really going to need to do something special for 9 to get that type of audience back.

It will still do good but there's no doubt that, that film is divisive which is probably not what Disney wanted. I expect to see a lot of fan service in the trailers for 9.

The other reason why I think using TLJ as a yardstick is a bad idea is that'll be two years in the rearview mirror.  That's actually just about at the window where reappraisal starts.  Not saying it is going to start.  But that's when it might be expected to perhaps start.

Also Rey and Kylo Ren are a hell a lot more popular than a lot of folks here might realize.  :ph34r:

But this isn't the Ep IX thread so I should probably just let it lie after this post. :lol:

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It's not even really underestimating Star Wars for me.  I don't underestimate the marketing power of Disney when they have something good to sell AND they put their mind to it.

It's easy to doubt the power of the SW brand right this second.  But if Disney puts the power of their fully operational hype machine behind IX... Well, let's say I'm not going to doubt its box office gross until I am given a reason to do so.

There's also the pattern with SW trilogies that while the middle one dips the third one makes more though not as much as the first.

I do think though it was a mistake to kill off Luke, regardless of any character complaints or story issues, because they knew they sadly weren't going to have Carrie for the third movie. Kennedy tinkers with these movies so much that I don't understand why they didn't change that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

The other reason why I think using TLJ as a yardstick is a bad idea is that'll be two years in the rearview mirror.  That's actually just about at the window where reappraisal starts.  Not saying it is going to start.  But that's when it might be expected to perhaps start.

Also Rey and Kylo Ren are a hell a lot more popular than a lot of folks here might realize.  :ph34r:

But this isn't the Ep IX thread so I should probably just let it lie after this post. :lol:

Nah man, it's been months and people are still going on about TLJ. I do not think it will be forgotten by then and I see the controversy starting right back up when the first teaser drops.