CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

20 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

I think it's an obvious typo. So I'll change it to 249 when I get access to a pc.

(Ill only fix typos. And only when the typo makes a prediction ridiculous

E.g film x will make $4588m. And I'll only change it to a number that makes sense as a typo. 4588 cannot become 249.)

So if I had put down, say, 2353M, would I be able to specify later whether this was a typo of 235M or of 253M  :sparta:

38 minutes ago, Josh said:

Is that China number accurate? I haven't seen much of an update on the INT numbers for Rampage (llikely due to IW'S impending release). If 400m could be achieved, that would be a solid hit, if nothing too incredible. Still not sure of a sequel given the only alright reaction domestically (not to mention it would be Pacific Rim situation, and we all have seen how that story played out), but it's nice to see a monster movie do well outside the Monsterverse. Sequel chances, in your opinion? The Rock loves to keep busy, so I don't know if he'd even have time.

Yes China should be ~135. If it ends up a bit off still safe to say that Dom + China is looking at 225 combined at least (like I used in the calcs).

Considering PR1 had a prod budget of 195 compared to Rampage's 120, 390 for Rampage is in a different league compared to PR1's 410.

I think a sequel is justified but like you say, Rock seems super busy :). IMO dom surprised well for the 1st 2 weekends and China did big enough for there to be Rampage 2.

Edited by a2knet

30 minutes ago, Sliver Legion said:

Ah, so that is the technicality in question. I was under the impression that shows between 12:01 and 6AM or so were conventionally counted as part of the Thursday preview gross rather than the true Friday though?

Now, yes.  Back then though, when overnight screenings were FAR rarer, anything after midnight was part of the next day (though, if I remember correctly even then there might have been exceptions).

===

When it comes right down to it, all of these silly bookkeeping rules are fairly trivial and arbitrary.  One can make an argument that a business day is what matters (from open to close), one could also make an argument that time-clock day is what matters.  One can even make an argument that it's the weekly gross that really matters, and everything else is arbitrary endpoints.

Mostly as long as studios are consistent and all play by the 'game' by the same rules, it really doesn't matter all that much. Sure, the ever-expanding nature of "preview night" makes the figures for Opening Day more than a little silly.  But it hasn't gotten QUITE so ridiculous as to have previews as early as 3pm or 4pm the night before a movie opens, so whatever.

Yes, it does make it harder to compare movies in one era (preview night) vs another (true midnights), but, well, no one ever said comparing the run of a movie from different eras was supposed to be easy. :D

3 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

6.025m USD OD for IW in India! More than double the previous record for a hollywood movie :ohmygod:

It did half of what Civil War did in its entire run in a single day.

It’s also the 2nd highest OD in India all time if I am not wrong. It outdid every singlw Bollywood movie which is simply crazy. 

Cross posting from the Indian thread. IW just had a ridiculous opening day. It basically did about 50% of Civil War and 36% of Age of Ultron’s entire run in a single day. 

• Like 4

What makes its record over local movies even morw special is that it opened in roughly half of the theatres that local movies opens in. Which means that its occupancy rates were higher than even the highest grossing indian movie of all time

• Like 4

On 24/04/2018 at 9:00 AM, IronJimbo said:

T: 46 milly

F: 63 millies

S: 69 mills

S: 61 milee

a grand total of two hundred and forteee milliess

Hmmm looks like it's going to come in just under my prediction.

3 hours ago, baumer said:

If you guys are trying to paint me out as someone who doesn't want it to get the record, you are wrong.  I loved the film but my like or dislike of it has nothing to do with it.  I'm using historical data and some logic.  I still think  it tops out at 235-240.

I believe you Baumer and that’s why I have always liked you so much for almost 20 years that I have been reading your posts. There’s other people though that are sweating bullets at even the tiniest chance of this actually breaking the ow record in this thread and they are as transparent as they come.

Having a gold account is great. You can wake up at 11am, read 20 pages of this thread and just give out likes left and right. 104 would be a great number btw.

*This post was sponsored by boxofficetheory.com*

• Like 5

Biggest true Friday of all time :ohmygod:

Still don't think it's enough for the record (not that it ever had to break the record to begin with), but I wouldn't completely put it out of the table just yet. Sat bump could be a lot more impressive than we expect, given how heavily the Friday audience skewed over 25.

IW isn't beating any of TFA's modern DOM records. That's always been completely wishful thinking. But that's not anything to be ashamed of either, TFA is the most popular DOM movie of the past 20 years, and the second-most popular DOM movie of the past 35 years. Those types of films aren't released every year.

Fans should be happy that this opening bodes well for IW's chances to be the DOM runner-up of the year, ahead of JW2 but behind BP, though it's going to be close. 

Edited by SteveJaros