CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

Just now, ZeeSoh said:

Just got out of my 2nd show. This time in IMAX 3d. It is just as good as the first time. Movie in IMAX IS gorgeous. 3d is really good too but I would prefer 2d. 

Show was sold out at 1pm on Monday as are pretty much all IMAX shows today in all imax’s in my city. 

:jeb!:

over JB in India? 

38 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

THE POWAH OF NOS DISTRIBUTION (and of course Thanos) :ohmygod:

NOS did a masterful job with this one, marketing was absolutely everywhere. A real event movie.

Here is the link to the numbers: http://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_25_a_29_abril_2018_317695ae6f338daff1.pdf

Even if you remove the ~48.000 tickets sold on April 25 (which include the previews) from the ~168.000 total, you get ~120.000 tickets sold over the weekend. Previous biggest superhero opening ever was Deadpool with ~112.000 tickets sold. Avengers sold ~107.000 tickets on his 5 day OW with the exact same calendar configuration, while Ultron sold ~101.000 tickets on his 5 day OW with the holiday (May 1, in this case) falling on the first Friday. With previews added in, The Last Jedi barely beats the Thursday-Sunday period of since it sold ~121.000 tickets. The Force Awakens (~158.000) and Fifty Shades of Grey (~160.000) were also crushed.

In other movies, Isle of Dogs and Stalin's Death bombed while everything else grabbed whatever it could to survive Thanos' arrival.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

9 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

the first X-Men movie started the whole SH thing thats been dominate for 2 decades now

thank that movie for the MCU

um... 90s batman? 80s Superman? 70s Hulk and Wonder Woman TV shows? 60s Batman TV Show?

90s Blade, Spawn

X-Men was the 1st Super hero movie that was able to use CGI to really bring a franchise to life that was not possible before, that was really the big deal with it.

I would argue Spider-Man was the movie that really sent Comic movies into full over drive. Then of course TDK should they could be a serious movie and not a camp fest. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jjack339 said:

um... 90s batman? 80s Superman? 70s Hulk and Wonder Woman TV shows? 60s Batman TV Show?

90s Blade, Spawn

X-Men was the 1st Super hero movie that was able to use CGI to really bring a franchise to life that was not possible before, that was really the big deal with it.

I would argue Spider-Man was the movie that really sent Comic movies into full over drive. Then of course TDK should they could be a serious movie and not a camp fest. 

The holy trinity of Blade ,Xmen 1 and Spiderman 1 are to thank for the MCU. Xmen 1 and 2 were serious, so TDK did not start the whole serious Comic book movie thing. It started the whole grounded thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

NOS did a masterful job with this one, marketing was absolutely everywhere. A real event movie.

Here is the link to the numbers: http://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_25_a_29_abril_2018_317695ae6f338daff1.pdf

Even if you remove the ~48.000 tickets sold on April 25 (which include the previews) from the ~168.000 total, you get ~120.000 tickets sold over the weekend. Previous biggest superhero opening ever was Deadpool with ~112.000 tickets sold. Avengers sold ~107.000 tickets on his 5 day OW with the exact same calendar configuration, while Ultron sold ~101.000 tickets on his 5 day OW with the holiday (May 1, in this case) falling on the first Friday. With previews added in, The Last Jedi barely beats the Thursday-Sunday period of since it sold ~121.000 tickets. The Force Awakens (~158.000) and Fifty Shades of Grey (~160.000) were also crushed.

In other movies, Isle of Dogs and Stalin's Death bombed while everything else grabbed whatever it could to survive Thanos' arrival.

I saw a lot of people sharing the Infinity War bus in either Porto or Lisbon on social media; TONS of marketing and posters just about everywhere; TV promotion was mad aggressive as well (I feel like I saw an ad for the movie all the time in every channel :rofl:).... yeah, NOS went out of their way to make this as massive an event as possible. Thank God that Disney Iberia stopped looking like they tried and just let the masters do the talking here in Portugal.

Unbelievable. It just casually beat the Fifty Shades and Star Wars films and every other cbm like nothing :rofl:. It fell a bit behind the Fast & Furious movies, I can see, but that is like the alpha franchise for Portuguese audiences, so it's no biggie. Ultimately, this movie is making it look completely effortless in how successful it is. It's like @Sam says: it's just rude at this point.

Doesn't surprise me that IOD and Stalin bombed. IOD in particular sounded way too much of a stretch for PT audiences.

4 minutes ago, envyblog said:

ah, so good to see all them "statistically, there's a ceiling, impossible" arguments finally put to rest

Infinity Wars broke the Saturday Record by over 13.5 Million dollars.

:hahaha:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, envyblog said:

ah, so good to see all them "statistically, there's a ceiling, impossible" arguments finally put to rest

I think there’s still statistically a ceiling, but we probably need to revisit that $250 mm number. I remember that number being thrown around as the max since like HP7 like 7 years ago. With population growth, expansion of large / premium format experiences, and also just inflation (an IMAX 2D ticket is $21 :blink: where I live now compared with $16 or $18 a couple of years ago and regular tickets are now $14 up from $11). 

So, the ceiling probably still exists it’s just not $250 mm. Probably like $300 or $325 or something. 

2 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The funny thing is TLJ fanboys get enraged if you say that the film drags because it's thin subplots don't work as well as they should. And no, the Canto Bight sequence doesn't work, deal with it. It doesn't matter that it's only 12 minutes, what matter is that it feels twice that long. 

All of this can be said of AIW, especially if you substitute that one AIW subplot involving <insert character name here> for the Canto Bight stuff from TLJ. That fruitless AIW sequence doesn’t work except to consume time during a movie that is already too long. 

3 minutes ago, riczhang said:

I think there’s still statistically a ceiling, but we probably need to revisit that $250 mm number. I remember that number being thrown around as the max since like HP7 like 7 years ago. With population growth, expansion of large / premium format experiences, and also just inflation (an IMAX 2D ticket is $21 :blink: where I live now compared with $16 or $18 a couple of years ago and regular tickets are now $14 up from $11). 

So, the ceiling probably still exists it’s just not $250 mm. Probably like $300 or $325 or something. 

most definitely, there has to be one, but the way some people here were so self-confident, so self-righteous about the exact threshold for the ceilings (the Saturday one in particular) it became so annoying I'm just glad the numbers proved them wrong.

All in all the final number for the OW I think will be 262-263 which shows the people in the 300 club were not that far fetched.

9 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I saw a lot of people sharing the Infinity War bus in either Porto or Lisbon on social media; TONS of marketing and posters just about everywhere; TV promotion was mad aggressive as well (I feel like I saw an ad for the movie all the time in every channel :rofl:).... yeah, NOS went out of their way to make this as massive an event as possible. Thank God that Disney Iberia stopped looking like they tried and just let the masters do the talking here in Portugal.

Unbelievable. It just casually beat the Fifty Shades and Star Wars films and every other cbm like nothing :rofl:. It fell a bit behind the Fast & Furious movies, I can see, but that is like the alpha franchise for Portuguese audiences, so it's no biggie. Ultimately, this movie is making it look completely effortless in how successful it is. It's like @Sam says: it's just rude at this point.

Doesn't surprise me that IOD and Stalin bombed. IOD in particular sounded way too much of a stretch for PT audiences.

I went to see Isle of Dogs on Friday and 2 people actually walked out even before the intermission :whosad:

It definitly feels like NOS has taken over starting with Thor: Ragnarok. Marketing campaigns for Disney movies have changed in a major way and are now much more aggressive and appealing. They dropped the ridiculous 5 seconds spots that they would usually spam in every commercial break. It definitly feels like the results of Spider-Man: Homecoming by Big Pictures were an eye opener for Disney Iberia that maybe it was time to let NOS lead.

It is definitly far away from Fast & Furious, but then again, every major franchise is here so it is fine.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

All of this can be said of AIW, especially if you substitute that one AIW subplot involving <insert character name here> for the Canto Bight stuff from TLJ. That fruitless AIW sequence doesn’t work except to consume time during a movie that is already too long. 

Not really, cause X sequence (which I think I know what you're talking about) actually had plot and character evolution purpose, while Canto Bight, apart from introducing us to Benicio Del Toro... who served very little relevance in the movie, was a big preachy waste of time and almost an unnecessary sidestep from the "Imperials are chasing Rebels" plotline that could've been worked around in other ways.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

4 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Don’t you get tired of spewing the same “IW is a bad movie” BS. Your opinion is subjective and in no way representes what the rest of the world feels. In reality it’s acclaimed by both fans and critics and that’s an objective fact. I know that you’re at home crying that IW smashed all the records but please for your own good - Stop!

giphy.gif

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, envyblog said:

most definitely, there has to be one, but the way some people here were so self-confident, so self-righteous about the exact threshold for the ceilings (the Saturday one in particular) it became so annoying I'm just glad the numbers proved them wrong.

All in all the final number for the OW I think will be 262-263 which shows the people in the 300 club were not that far fetched.

That the OW record was going to go was never in doubt to me, it was only by how much.

But to do $300m means getting $100m a night and no movie has ever achieved that for even one night.

To do it, the movie has to be something special AND only 90 mins long.

1 minute ago, envyblog said:

Three straight separate, opening weekend record breaking movies all had virtually identical true Friday's, Saturday's, and Sunday's.  You can predict any way you want, but generally speaking, sticking to logic and trends will get you more correct predictions than not.  

In this case, yes I was wrong and can fully admit it.  Also, being a huge fan of the MCU and finding IW to be highly entertaining, I'm very glad I was wrong.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AndyK said:

That the OW record was going to go was never in doubt to me, it was only by how much.

But to do $300m means getting $100m a night and no movie has ever achieved that for even one night.

To do it, the movie has to be something special AND only 90 mins long.

We are in the middle of witnessing a 150 minute movie make $260m-ish in three days and you still think run time matters?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Depends on the actual WOM. The trailers (and especially posters) for JW:FK arent that good, but maybe its just marketed poorly and the final film will be good/great? In that case strong OS WOM should only help its prospects in the US.

I do think the hook isn't as strong second time around, JW had the advantage of being the first Jurassic Park film in 14 years and being decent.