CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

so uhm... what about today (monday)?

Monday showtimes haven’t even started like anywhere in US yet.

I know your mind is full of Cameron’s d*** most of the time (no shame about that, you do you) but at least have some ideas about BO stuff when you’re on a BO forum man. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, Walt Disney said:

After Avengers: Age of Ultron came in lower than anticipated, I didn't want to get my expectations raised again. However, IW has shocked me to my core. I didn't expect it to break the OW record. This is just an amazing result. Even with 2.4x legs, a $258M OW gets the movie to over $619M domestically. This is definitely a golden year for superhero films at the box office.

This is more impressive than what TDK and IM did back in 2008. And BP and IW are both from Disney/Marvel. Disney is just slaughtering the box office. We are in a golden age for Disney at the box office.

The $4bn Disney paid for Marvel looks like pocket change. Disney isn't perfect and once in a while, they do stumble but they can suck up a disaster like A Wrinkle of Time if their core franchises deliver consistently. I expect The Incredibles 2 to do open very well and Ant-Man and the Wasp will be a solid hit, I'm not sure on Christopher Robin but I think that could be a hit as well.

1 minute ago, Sam said:

Monday showtimes haven’t even started like anywhere in US yet.

I know your mind is full of Cameron’s d*** most of the time (no shame about that, you do you) but at least have some ideas about BO stuff when you’re on a BO forum man. 

I wasn't asking for estimates, I was asking for predictions. Thank you though Sam

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

The $4bn Disney paid for Marvel looks like pocket change. Disney isn't perfect and once in a while, they do stumble but they can suck up a disaster like A Wrinkle of Time if their core franchises deliver consistently. I expect The Incredibles 2 to do open very well and Ant-Man and the Wasp will be a solid hit, I'm not sure on Christopher Robin but I think that could be a hit as well.

The Marvel purchase, while considered risky at the time because everyone said superhero films had already peaked in popularity and were declining, turned out to be a game-changing decision. It has absolutely earned its purchase price back and then some.

The Lucasfilm purchase is very similar. The Star Wars films have made Disney a fortune already.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RRA said:

Hey Auntie!

Yup. Lol. My main criticism of the MCU was the "villain of the week" issue they were having in 75 percent of their movies (and most of the movies were STILL good so that's a testament to their execution.) They have officially fixed their villain issues with Hela, Vulture, Killmonger and now Thanos. Killmonger and Thanos are now in my top 3 comic book film villains (Heath's Joker will remain number 1 for me for a while).  I didn't think Thanos was quite*** Killmonger but he was close enough and lived up to the hype (for me it was at minimum Killmonger quality of a villain or bust and Thanos lived up to the 10 years of hype so credit given). That ending (one of the best endings of all time, let's be honest, at least for a big blockbuster movie - Dark Knight, Empire Strikes Back, - I think Infinity War will ascend to that memorable level, and Thanos will no doubt become iconic based off that. It was his film featuring the Avengers. Congrats to its success.

PS-  Is my bet still safe? LOL. I actually spotted Infinity War a 275 million opening and still felt i would comfortably win (Under 936 Million Domestic). Can a non fanboy/girl who is super hyped and thinking 1 billion domestic give me a realistic time frame where I can still my bud he can pay me when it's clear it won't get there? 

Edited by jaybox

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

that would be lovely but it keeps over performing so I'm not so sure, i'm thinking around low 60's

A 60% drop would mean 27,6M from a 69M Sunday. That would be even more insane than the 83M Saturday in my opinion, considering this is just a normal April Weekday (or are there some sorts of holidays in the US?)

I think a 70% drop is more probable - which is still an awesome 20,7M, higher than TA1' first Monday of 18,9M (that film dropped 67%).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

The Marvel purchase, while considered risky at the time because everyone said superhero films had already peaked in popularity and were declining, turned out to be a game-changing decision. It has absolutely earned its purchase price back and then some.

The Lucasfilm purchase is very similar. The Star Wars films have made Disney a fortune already.

The thing about Marvel was that it was more surprising that they hadn't been snapped up sooner, even without Marvel Studios. LucasFilm was more shocking, I didn't expect George Lucas to ever sell it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

A 60% drop would mean 27,6M from a 69M Sunday. That would be even more insane than the 83M Saturday in my opinion, considering this is just a normal April Weekday (or are there some sorts of holidays in the US?)

I think a 70% drop is more probable - which is still an awesome 20,7M, higher than TA1' first Monday of 18,9M (that film dropped 67%).

No holidays for now in US. The next one is Mother’s Day on May 13th

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The thing is there's really not a lot of pressure on that to deliver 

11 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Well, about Canto Bight, that's down to personal preference, I see. I personally didn't mind it that much the 1st time I saw the movie, but the 2nd time, I was checking my watch plenty times and it really caught me like a pipebomb how unnecessary the sequence really was.

And if you did believe both to be true, that would still be your prerogative to think that way. But I've seen your Ehrlichs and some other people out in the interwebs say TLJ is a good movie because it was ballsy and it pissed fanboys off with its twists, and... it kinda annoys me that some would have their head so inside their own asshole that they could only find blockbuster filmmaking acceptable if it's made with the intention to deliberately make everyone question their love for the franchise at hand OR if it has cultural implications surrounding its storytelling. Glad that we agree on that not being the case for us. I also agree that TLJ was subversive and risky, and imo some of those risks paid off and were really interesting (fuck all of the haters of the Luke stuff with Rey and Kylo, cause I'm still on board with it). And I like the idea of literally digging deep into the morality of the SW universe the way it did. Canto Bight, however, didn't do it for me. But if it did it for you, that's great, man.

The internet is filled narraties, tho. For every Ehrlich there were three guys crying about ruined childhoods because the story didn't have familiar beats. And I also find annoying that kind of thinking that gives rules to art, because a film being good only comes to down to execution and what works for one might not work for other.

It's not about the story. It's about how that story is told. (And IW told its in a very smart way, btw)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Well, about Canto Bight, that's down to personal preference, I see. I personally didn't mind it that much the 1st time I saw the movie, but the 2nd time, I was checking my watch plenty times and it really caught me like a pipebomb how unnecessary the sequence really was.

I found that to be the case when I rewatched TLJ. First time round I thought it was good and I was mostly just relieved that I enjoyed it after the crushing disappointment of TFA. But second time round, the things that I didn't like stuck out a lot more, and the things I did like, I liked even more. 

• Like 1

Unlike Ultron and Civil War, I am hearing a lot of friends and family who are casual Marvel Fans and just casuals planning to check the film out to due to overwhelmingly positive word of mouth and just insane levels of hype. 

It will drop big but I Am seeing Ultron legs as the base for now. 

• Like 2

Monday drops for the other top openers:

The Avengers: -66.9%

Age of Ultron: -73.7%

Civil War: -68.7%

Beauty and the Beast: -72%

Iron Man 3: -73.8%

Spillover is undoubtedly going to be big, and given that the only other 200M opener we can compare it to dropped just under 67%, I'd go with that one. 65% isn't impossible IMO

• Like 1

I was just looking at Disney's slate for next year.  Of course we know they have A4, LK Frozen 2 and Episode IX.   But I keep forgetting they have Toy Story 4 too.  Which won't reach the heights of 3  but could still make them a lot.

• Like 2