CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

22 minutes ago, riczhang said:

I think there’s still statistically a ceiling, but we probably need to revisit that $250 mm number. I remember that number being thrown around as the max since like HP7 like 7 years ago. With population growth, expansion of large / premium format experiences, and also just inflation (an IMAX 2D ticket is $21 :blink: where I live now compared with $16 or $18 a couple of years ago and regular tickets are now $14 up from $11). 

So, the ceiling probably still exists it’s just not $250 mm. Probably like $300 or $325 or something. 

It’s closer to $400m if you sold out every ticket on 15,000 screens for 3.5 days. 

4 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Not really, cause X sequence (which I think I know what you're talking about) actually had plot and character evolution purpose, while Canto Bight, apart from introducing us to Benicio Del Toro... who served very little relevance in the movie, was a big preachy waste of time.

It has huge relevance. Canto Bight appears as a sidequest for the heroes to get what they need to save the day and ends up being a major mistake that costed hundreds of lives. It's all part of the deconstruction TLJ expertly manages and that has fanboys' panties in a twist. It's a huge adventure film trope being wonderfully subverted.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

We are in the middle of witnessing a 150 minute movie make $260m-ish in three days and you still think run time matters?

Absolutely it matters because 90 min vs. 150 min means an extra showing or two a day. So automatically you get 20-30% higher ceiling. Because there is a bit of running into supply constraints with IW. Definitely I know anecdotally there’s a lot of my friends who would’ve seen it OW but couldn’t get good tickets. Especially with reserved seating these days, like people aren’t just gonna walk up and nope they have a good seat instead of front row and a one way ticket to nausea. So ya, being able to add an extra showtime or two would really help. (And this is a trend in the movie industry too of shorter movies. We don’t really see the 3 hour epics anymore. Is at 2.5 hours is considered LONG) 

10 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Don’t you get tired of spewing the same “IW is a bad movie” BS. Your opinion is subjective and in no way representes what the rest of the world feels. In reality it’s acclaimed by both fans and critics and that’s an objective fact. I know that you’re at home crying that IW smashed all the records but please for your own good - Stop!

I personally do not care much about box office records because they are almost always temporary. Time and inflation come for them all so investment in them is pointless.

As for quality, you have a pretty low bar if you think the film is critically acclaimed. It’s a mediocre film (7.5 per critics on RT). It is certainly not worthy of the fangasms that have spewed forth all weekend. If you loved the film, that’s great. Enjoy it however you wish. Just be prepared that some people like myself find it ordinary while others dislike it entirely.

Edited by LonePirate

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It’s closer to $400m if you sold out every ticket on 15,000 screens for 3.5 days. 

Ya but you can’t assume that right? Like with reserved seating you can almost guarantee the first row or two are gonna be largely empty. And im not sure outside of like big population centers like population density is high enough to really support selling out every showing. 

29 minutes ago, Hades said:

The holy trinity of Blade ,Xmen 1 and Spiderman 1 are to thank for the MCU. Xmen 1 and 2 were serious, so TDK did not start the whole serious Comic book movie thing. It started the whole grounded thing.

eh, X1 is pretty damn campy. Yes the tone is serious, but it is still Campy. Agree on X2, that was IMO the best Comic movie until TDK took the throne. 

3 minutes ago, riczhang said:

Ya but you can’t assume that right? Like with reserved seating you can almost guarantee the first row or two are gonna be largely empty.

I don't know, almost every show at my theater on Thursday and Friday night through yesterday was selling out including the front row. If it's a movie that people want to see RIGHT NOW ASAP, they'll put up with it.

Edited by filmlover

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

It looks like Sunday will be around $69m and the total for the weekend is $258m

Well damn, I support some fudge here. Take $1 million from Friday and give it to Sunday so we can have $70m milestone.  :D

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

I don't know, almost every show at my theater on Thursday and Friday night through yesterday was selling out every single show including the front row. If it's a movie that people want to see RIGHT NOW ASAP, they'll put up with it.

Or they're the poor suckers who thought they could get tickets on the day without really checking. 

In the age of online bookings, I'm surprised anyone still rocks up on the day especially for a movie like IW

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I don't know, almost every show at my theater on Thursday and Friday night through yesterday was selling out including the front row. If it's a movie that people want to see RIGHT NOW ASAP, they'll put up with it.

Really? I wonder if it’s a regional thing because I checked at my local theatres and most of the front 2-3 rows were completely empty. 

12 minutes ago, Kraken said:

It has huge relevance. Canto Bight appears as a sidequest for the heroes to get what they need to save the day and ends up being a major mistake that costed hundreds of lives. It's all part of the deconstruction TLJ expertly manages and that has fanboys' panties in a twist. It's a huge adventure film trope being wonderfully subverted.

I agree that the whole idea of "heroes making mistakes and them backfiring in their faces" deconstruction was interesting, but the sequence itself did not work. It stopped the movie dead for something that felt completely unrelated, and it made little sense as there's a ton of other ways they could've worked around the whole tracker shit anyway. It felt like a side quest in a video game, and you would've missed almost nothing by writing it out completely. Could've accomplished similar results in simpler ways.

Also, the way you write makes you sound like the Ehrlich type of pompous snob that is all like "TLJ took risks and was subversive, therefore it's a good movie". Killing off Frodo in the 1st 2 minutes of Return Of The King would've been a risk too and I don't think anyone would've been on board with it. I think TLJ is solid, mind you, but Canto Bight was a mistake.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

Just now, Jonwo said:

Or they're the poor suckers who thought they could get tickets on the day without really checking. 

In the age of online bookings, I'm surprised anyone still rocks up on the day especially for a movie like IW

Eh, it's fine as long as you arrive not too late, at least for non-big movies. For example when I saw A Quiet Place on opening weekend there were still plenty of seats left a half-hour before showtime and didn't fill up until the last second.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, riczhang said:

Ya but you can’t assume that right? Like with reserved seating you can almost guarantee the first row or two are gonna be largely empty. And im not sure outside of like big population centers like population density is high enough to really support selling out every showing. 

I’m just talking theoretical max capacity. You are correct we are never gonna see a movie play like that. So the realistic maximum is probably in that $325m neighborhood like you said. 

It’s not the 1970’s or 1980’s where supply was so low that they could never meet demand. That was before large megaplex locations where they can put a big movie on potentially 8 screens. 

5 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Speaking strictly domestically there. Ultron opened solidly based on hype from Avengers 1, but had mixed-good reception and in the end just didn’t capture the interest of the broader US culture. It was a box office event, but not an event for America at large, and I think the multi and total demonstrate that pretty clearly. People might have different ideas about exactly why that was. In my opinion it was just too similar to Avengers 1 — same 6 main hero cast, adding 0 new sub-franchises, simply made it a reaction of “oh, this again” rather than “wow, I’ve never seen this before.”     

Some people thought the same might be true of Infinity War. “Oh, it’s this formula again, but for the third time now.” However, I think what we’re seeing is that by introducing 5 solo franchises never before in an avengers film (Ant-Man, Guardians, Black Panther, Spider-Man, Doctor Strange) and [redacted details about plot], IW successfully feels (to the GA) like a sufficiently new thing rather than just the third iteration of an old concept.    

Anyway, like I said, it’s early still. Until next Sunday I won’t be too confident in this thesis, since I’ve seen more convincing looking things that later turn out to have been held together by pure cherry-picking and confirmation bias :)

This is ultimately explains it. Even though I enjoyed it, it felt like a retread of the first vs. something truly new, despite some new character additions. Infinity War felt new as they applied almost every new character post first Avengers to the proceedings.

• Like 1