Neo

Venom | 5 OCTOBER 2018 | Sony | Tom Hardy is Venom. Social Media reactions coming in

35 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

Sony shot themselves in the foot by downgrading Venom to a PG 13 schlockfest.

I hope A Star Is Born crushes this movie to oblivion, and I don't even like Lady Gaga.

From what I've seen, the vast majority of Venom's stories are not "R Rated"/Mature, so why the movie need to be?

Edited by Lucasmessi12

6 minutes ago, Lucasmessi12 said:

From what I've seen, the vast majority of Venom's stories are not "R Rated", so why the movie need to be?

Exactly.

Despite his rather..extreme appearance, most of Venom's stories (if any) have veered into R-rated territory.

He kills people but not even as much as a Punisher or Wolverine or even a Deadpool. Now, if we had Carnage in the movie....then it would probably be closer to a hard R/NC-17 movie.

Edited by Deathlife
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Deathlife said:

Exactly.

Despite his rather..extreme appearance, most of Venom's stories (if any) have veered into R-rated territory.

He kills people but not even as much as a Punisher or Wolverine or even a Deadpool.

I've said it her before: Venom is a character that probably appears on the Disney Channel at least once a week. It doesn't have to be R-rated. Let the kids have their thing.

• Like 2

First review

‘Venom’ is better than it has any right to be

https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/02/venom-is-better-than-it-has-any-right-to-be/

Perhaps Venom benefited from the extremely low expectations that had been set for it, but the movie managed to score big with the preview audience that attended last night’s premiere.

Generally mixed response thus far, which is a lot better than expected. Some calling it a curiously fun mess of a film. Tom Hardy apparently thinks he's in a straight up comedy. This might end up with a lukewarm fresh rating based on some critics responses. 60 percent on RT. 45-50 on Metacritic?

Furthermore, the bots strike again! Possibly the same ones who attacked Last Jedi. I'm starting to wonder if they're all Russian Marvel fans. Seriously, I wouldn't put much stock into that rhetoric. Who would benefit from creating bots to down vote a film that's critic proof? Sense, this does not make.

Edited by ThePhasmid

Round up by High Snobriety https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/venom-social-media-reactions/?utm_campaign=SF+Highsnobiety+Main+Post&utm_source=Twitter

Just saw #Venom and wow people started walking out after the first hour. It really was that BAD. I would cancel my preordered tickets if I were you.

— Hotshot (@loganlovesmyass) October 2, 2018

#Venom is Catwoman level bad, with Tom Hardy's worst performance since This Means War.
DON'T SEE THE MOVIE!

— Daniel R (@DanielRPK) October 2, 2018

Sorry to say that #Venom is pretty much a complete failure – a tonal mess that feels 15 years old, ignoring the storytelling strides that the superhero genre has made in recent years.

A few fun Venom-centric moments aside, it has nearly nothing to offer. Don't get your hopes up.

— Tom Horrorgensen (@Tom_Jorgensen) October 2, 2018

Extremely disappointed with the let down that #Venom was 😣 One of the films I was most excited for turned out to be the worst film. Hate to say that considering I am the biggest Venom fan… Looks like i’ll be taking my family to #AStarIsBorninstead

— amaury 🕷 (@acidhunk) October 2, 2018

Social embargo for #Venom is up. I talk about this a lot in my review but this is a movie that somehow slipped through a wormhole from 2004. That's my biggest take. It's a movie that spilled from the pre-MCU era through a crack in time and space.

— The Mothmeg 🔜 NYCC (@rustypolished) October 2, 2018

#Venom was the epitome of too many cooks in 1 kitchen for me personally.
Outside of the interaction between Eddie Brock/Venom characters everyone else felt bland and hollow. Charm was not enough to distract me from the questionable 2nd act and the finale. Fun would work in 2008.

— Grandmaster YoDude ✴ (@TheYoDude) October 2, 2018

Tom Hardy’s performance was a bright point

#Venom wasn’t as bad as everyone was saying it was going to be. Tom Hardy is and always will be a great actor, and I laughed a lot — but I’m not sure whether that was intentional or not. Post-credit scene is 🔥

— Beatrice Verhoeven (@bverhoev) October 2, 2018

Significant chunks of #Venom don’t work *at all* but there is some serious charm to the Eddie/Venom relationship. Not sure I had the intended reactions to some scenes but fun is fun – even when it’s totally ridiculous, right? It’s too bad they didn’t go for the R rating though.

— Perri Nemiroff (@PNemiroff) October 2, 2018

I’m *fascinated* with VENOM. The cast seems to all know they’re in a darker superhero movie, except Tom Hardy who is basically remaking Jim Carrey’s Liar Liar. I kinda loved watching this movie, in a Rocky Horror type of way. At one point Tom Hardy and Venom make out.

— Mike Ryan (@mikeryan) October 2, 2018

Action-sequences and Eddie and Venom's odd relationship are the highlights of #Venom but if Sony wants to move forward with a universe, it needs to just keep the few parts that work and scrap the large portion which does t.

— Brandon Davis (@BrandonDavisBD) October 2, 2018

Tom Hardy's performance in #Venom is either Johnny Depp in the first PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN or Chris Klein in STREET FIGHTER: THE LEGEND OF CHUN-LI. Either way, it's not boring.

— Scott Mendelson (@ScottMendelson) October 2, 2018

Tom Hardy as Eddie Brock and #Venom has some really entertaining moments. A clunky script without nuance bogs the #Venom down, preventing it from choosing between being gritty, funny, or something unique.

— Brandon Davis (@BrandonDavisBD) October 2, 2018

Now that impressions can be shared: #Venom is pretty much this year’s Fant4stic. Everyone except for Hardy is coasting through their performance… I would hate to have to do press for this movie. #Venom #TomHardy

— Tread Talks (@treadtalks) October 2, 2018

#Venom is a one-man buddy film bonded with an antihero origin story. And Tom Hardy pulls it off like only he can pic.twitter.com/d2AblUvWjF

— Chris Sylvia (@sylvioso) October 2, 2018

A few people did enjoy it, however 

[pretty sure the one from Le Cinephiles is a joke :lol:]

REVIEW: Despite what stupid and worthless bloggers say, #VENOM is a masterwork. Tom Hardy’s performance is a true highlight of the film (and genre). The sex scene between Michelle Williams and the symbiote will remain with me always.

10/10 pic.twitter.com/o6ZxVj8RlB

— Le Cinéphiles (@LeCinephiles) October 2, 2018

So #Venom.

I went in fearing the worst, BUT I actually liked it quite a bit more than I thought I would. I still wish it was rated R, but it seems like they set up something to cross over into Spider-Man's movies, and it was funnier than I imagined.

— ︽✵︽ ashley ︽✵︽ (@AshleyEsqueda) October 2, 2018

#Venom is like a buddy comedy in which one of the buddies has to prevent the other from biting people’s heads off, which is another way of saying I liked it.

— Michael Nordine (@slowbeard) October 2, 2018

#Venom was only the best superhero movie I’ve seen in along while. It’s refreshing to see a superhero film that wasn’t bogged down by years of movies and characters. Def a worth see. Sony really gave it their all.

— Punished “Venom” Aaron (@Bizarnage) October 2, 2018

• Like 1

Just now, Rebeccas said:

So far the nerd bloggers reaction is already mixed/bad, I imagine mainstream critics are going to be ruthless.  

Ehhhhh. More like mixed/better than expected, but still highly flawed. It could translate to a low fresh rating, which is kind of a major win when you consider the buzz surrounding it over the last few months. Most of the clips and marketing has been awful, so maybe it's on SONY's end here. Who knows?

3 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

Ehhhhh. More like mixed/better than expected, but still highly flawed. It could translate to a low fresh rating, which is kind of a major win when you consider the buzz surrounding it over the last few months. Most of the clips and marketing has been awful, so maybe it's on SONY's end here. Who knows?

It seems to range from Catwoman/F4-level disaster to weird but unintentionally funny reviews so I don't see that translating into anything over 50% lol

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

These early blogger media reviews are significantly worse than ASM2 and DOFP  APOC and even JL - movies that ended in the 40s to 50s on RT

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1