Neo

Venom | 5 OCTOBER 2018 | Sony | Tom Hardy is Venom. Social Media reactions coming in

On 10/15/2018 at 4:00 PM, GraceRandolph said:

It already happened with Ant Man and th wasp. We have now entered the reign of Anti-Heroes. :Venom:

Haha....no. Not unless you consider a sequel that significantly goes up over the initial entry and itself has nearly a 3 multiplier a sign of fatigue. So, no, just, just no.

20 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Since there is no spoiler thread Just want to confirm....

Hide contents

Carnage is the symbiote that escaped after killing the scientist lady right?

We aren't real sure how they are going to handle that symbiote. In the comics that symbiote is spawned from Venom itself. The mid credits set up the host. 

The scientist lady that betrayed the Life Foundation and was killed by a symbiote was Riot I thought. Riot traveled and drained a few hosts to get to that point though. 

15 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Haha....no. Not unless you consider a sequel that significantly goes up over the initial entry and itself has nearly a 3 multiplier a sign of fatigue. So, no, just, just no.

We aren't real sure how they are going to handle that symbiote. In the comics that symbiote is spawned from Venom itself. The mid credits set up the host. 

The scientist lady that betrayed the Life Foundation and was killed by a symbiote was Riot I thought. Riot traveled and drained a few hosts to get to that point though. 

But...

Spoiler

Riot was the one who traveled all the way from Malaysia from the beginning of the film. Went from EMT lady to old Lady to little girl. The one that escaped was already in the lab the whole time. Pretty sure that was Carnage. Drake said it was a superior life-form to Venom, which fits Carnage's description. 

• Like 2

So, why haven't we heard about Venom 2 yet? By any which method that you break down the numbers, Venom is a big hit. And we know they wanted to set it up for a franchise, sequel, Spidey-verse, and all that jazz.

So where's the news about Venom 2?

Is it possible that they don't have Tom Hardy locked in to a contract?

Are they waiting to try to figure out what shooting schedule would fit around Tom Hardy's other projects?

Or are they trying to talk Tom Hardy into a detailed schedule right now, where he makes cameos in 2 films, guest-stars in 2 others, and is the lead in at least 3, only two of which will be direct Venom sequels? (The other could be a Spider-Man movie or something like that.)

3 hours ago, kitik said:

So, why haven't we heard about Venom 2 yet? By any which method that you break down the numbers, Venom is a big hit. And we know they wanted to set it up for a franchise, sequel, Spidey-verse, and all that jazz.

Are they waiting to try to figure out what shooting schedule would fit around Tom Hardy's other projects?

Or are they trying to talk Tom Hardy into a detailed schedule right now, where he makes cameos in 2 films, guest-stars in 2 others, and is the lead in at least 3, only two of which will be direct Venom sequels? (The other could be a Spider-Man movie or something like that.)

https://movieweb.com/venom-movie-contract-tom-hardy-3-movies-sony-marvel/

Tom Hardy was recently interviewed about his upcoming role in this comic book movie. During the interview, he made the reveal that Sony has locked him down for a three-movie deal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kitik said:

I think Hardy is signed on for 3 films

12 hours ago, kitik said:

Sony right now:

giphy.gif

Clearly they didn't think this would be the hit that it has become...and I'm sure they are scrambling around trying to solidify a sequel right now.  There will be an announcement before the end of the year, I'm sure...

this was not the poor film I was expecting. don't get me wrong it's not a good film by any means but it was alot of fun watching Tom hardy try to deal with his parasite. I'm glad this is doing well and the director is becoming one of my favourite always rotten directors out there at the moment. I've enjoyed every one of his movies so far.

14 minutes ago, Jessie said:

this was not the poor film I was expecting. don't get me wrong it's not a good film by any means but it was alot of fun watching Tom hardy try to deal with his parasite. I'm glad this is doing well and the director is becoming one of my favourite always rotten directors out there at the moment. I've enjoyed every one of his movies so far.

:bravo:

4 hours ago, Jessie said:

LOL. Yeah, I really hope Venom 2 can drop Ruben Fleischer and get someone else. I want to root for Fleischer, seems like a decent guy, but his direction is so uninspired, It's just... there. Someone could do something really cool with Venom and I just don't think he's that guy. I don't understand how he got Venom 1 in the first place. They snagged Tom frickin Hardy. I feel like they could have gotten a better director. Hoping the sequel will do that

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Went to see it again today, and I was surprised that I liked it just as much as the first time that I watched it! It's definitely an entertaining and enjoyable ride of a movie! 2 tongues (or heads) up up indeed!!

tumblr_pcqh1ejbRk1rstrbqo1_1280.gif

• Thanks 1

... the movie is huge, and the Spider-Verse pilot is now on a path to be more profitable than any of Sony’s Spider-Man movies.

The film is looking to have around $565 million worldwide by the time it finishes up without yet accounting for Japan (Nov. 2) or China (Nov. 9). If you look at the Spider-Man movies, and at this point that’s a fair comparison, there’s a strange dichotomy at play. 

Even if Venom does merely “okay” in China ($50m) and merely “okay” in Japan ($30m), we’re still looking at an over/under $650m global cume. Venom cost Sony and friends just $100 million to produce. .... that’s cheaper than any of Sony’s prior live-action Spider-Man movies.

Venom has earned 5.08x its production budget. That makes it, in terms of production budget versus global theatrical grosses, more profitable than any Spider-Man movie since the first Spider-Man movie ($822m on a $139m = 5.91x) back in 2002. Spider-Man 2 earned $784m on a $220m budget in 2004 (3.56x) and Spider-Man 3 (which featured Venom as one of the villians) earned $891m on a $260m budget in 2007 (3.42x). Amazing Spider-Man grossed $758m worldwide on a $230m budget in 2012 (3.29x) while Amazing Spider-Man 2 earned $709m on a $255m budget in 2014 (2.78x). Spider-Man: Homecoming, which is part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, earned $880m worldwide on a $175m budget last year (5.03x).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/10/29/box-office-venom-with-tom-hardy-and-michelle-williams-may-be-more-profitable-than-sonys-spider-man-movies/#c6ccb4a10888

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah Mendeslon...

Even if Venom does merely “okay” in China ($50m) and merely “okay” in Japan ($30m),

CBM without Spider-Man or called The Avengers doing $30m would be phenomenal in Japan.  Just as $50m for a CBM in China would be disappointing.

Relying just on production budget is faulty - even if one has the correct numbers that studios rarely give out - when one is discussing profitability

1. Deadline has their whisper numbers of $116m budget after Georgia tax credits

2. Domestic/OS split matters in terms of money going back to the studio

3. Sony's later SM movies would have been more profitable if the P&A wasn't also as huge as their budgets. As it is ASM2 barely made any profit.

4. Sony's earlier SM movies profited enormously from the DVD boom (Marvel's minuscule cut from the DVDs was a big reason they started their own studio)

Still, a great financial success for Venom and Sony.   Maybe they're not as quick to announce a sequel b/c Hardy now has some leverage to ask for a better film around him, including a better director. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Ah Mendeslon...

Even if Venom does merely “okay” in China ($50m) and merely “okay” in Japan ($30m),

CBM without Spider-Man or called The Avengers doing $30m would be phenomenal in Japan.  Just as $50m for a CBM in China would be disappointing.

There is a reason why I cut a lot 😉

Mendelson in connection with CBMs is (nearly) always way ... strange at best

I think he used the examples per up / down tendency in those two markets based on roughly % / calculate / maths whatever the term is, not that he actually thinks those two amounts will be the results