Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Avengers 2nd Weekend - 114.774 only a 21.5% drop on Sunday

3 hours ago, JB33 said:

I'm shocked the Scotiabank Vancouver isn't up there. 

I guess Toronto is just bigger than Vancouver.  

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

Thought you said BETTER for a sec I was ready to take my gloves off...

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

Oh of course, I just meant I figured it would be higher than Chinook, for instance. I mean, Chinook is my theatre so I can vouch for the fact it does great business. I'm just pleasantly surprised where it lands in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Anyone see the news about Comcast/FOX? 

My one and only comment:  Vertical integration can be hella worse than horizontal integration.

(this is NOT an endorsement of the Disney-Fox deal, nor is it ignoring the loss of jobs that would occur in any merger)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rthanos said:

AIW Canada less 50% drop  2nd wkend

That is huge, likely 10 million plus a 2nd weekend.

@baumer

I think this made sense, it was insanely busy this whole weekend in my opinion.

Unknown for domestic but in Canada, IW will beat BP. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

My one and only comment:  Vertical integration can be hella worse than horizontal integration.

Wonder if anti-trust wise if it does not make it harder to pass, they did seem to think like it has less chance to pass.

11 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Wonder if anti-trust wise if it does not make it harder to pass, they did seem to think like it has less chance to pass.

Traditionally vertical integration is a harder sell than vertical (for ones on the same scale).  It's the (stated) reason why AT&T-Time Warner merger is in trouble.

Then again, this is the Trump era, so who knows.

China Update

Infinity War is currently rated at 8.4 on Douban (most of the ratings coming from people who have seen it in HK or Taiwan). Here are a few comparable films and other big films rating. 

CA:CW - 7.5
AOU - 7.1
TA1 - 8.0 
FF7 - 8.3
FF8 (biggest OW ever) - 7.1 
Wolf Warrior 2 (biggest movie ever in China) - 7.2 

Edited by The Mad Titan
  • Like 5
  • Astonished 2

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Traditionally vertical integration is a harder sell than vertical (for ones on the same scale).  It's the (stated) reason why AT&T-Time Warner merger is in trouble.

Then again, this is the Trump era, so who knows.

To give an example of this, disdain at vertical integration is why movie studios were barred for a long time from owning movie theaters.  The rules over this have been loosened slightly (the Mouse, to give one example, has a few owned theaters on its various properties), but even in this merger happy era of the last 30 years, it's still very uncommon.  As far as I know, at least.

Edited by Porthos

2 hours ago, The Mad Titan said:

China Update

Infinity War is currently rated at 8.4 on Douban (most of the ratings coming from people who have seen it in HK or Taiwan). Here are a few comparable films and other big films rating. 

CA:CW - 7.5
AOU - 7.1
TA1 - 8.0 
FF7 - 8.3
FF8 (biggest OW ever) - 7.1 
Wolf Warrior 2 (biggest movie ever in China) - 7.2 

Jeez, and Avatar made 200mil back in 2010, I think Jimbo was saying that'd be the equivalent of almost a billion now a days, guess we'll see.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Jeez, and Avatar made 200mil back in 2010, I think Jimbo was saying that'd be the equivalent of almost a billion now a days, guess we'll see.

That list shows lack of connection between internet movie scores and box office. I thought that site was the lesser to maoyan anyway

7 hours ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

China Box Office

Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011) - $165M

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014) - $320M

Transformers: The Last Knight (2017) - $228M

Their market is growing but not even close to say that a foreign movie with $ 200M box office in 2009 would mean $1B today.

• Like 1