The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Those 39 need to get their act together! I think the fact this is a male dominated site and that the young males don't like to admit they loved Titanic (gernalising (we have heroes like TOG)) really hurts it's chances.

I'm 18 and Titanic was #64 on my list.

Do I get a participation point? :lol:

Edited by Rorschach

I am close in age to Baumer and I did not include Titanic on my list because I did not like the film. I included both romantic dramas and comedies on my list so the romance angle is certainly not an impediment to me liking a film. I included several Cameron films on my list so I don’t have an issue with him, either. Some of us just did not like the film.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Maybe this is missing from all your lists b/c you haven't had the chance to experience both young and undying love.  If you did, there's no way this movie wouldn't affect you to the bone.  I mean, throw out the technical mastery, the amazing special effects, the spot-on historical references, the supporting cast...what makes this more than a cold, unfeeling technical masterpiece (which so many movies are now) and makes this the best movie ever made is the complete, total understanding and commitment to showing true love onscreen and letting the audience actually feel it 100%, and not running away from it.  True love is action, not feeling, and as you watch the last 1/2 of that movie and see what the 2 are willing to do to be with each other and then to do what the other asks when they can't be together anymore, even under that loss...I mean, I started crying about 15 minutes from the end, got worse as they showed how Rose kept her last promise, and then the staircase scene...best ending scene ever done in a movie...

I cried for lord knows how long after the movie...I cried so much (probably an hour+), it scared my current boyfriend (who is now my wonderful spouse), b/c he couldn't even tell if I liked it or not...and he even started crying as I blubberingly explained what got to me...

I have never cried more than a minute or two in any movie before or after...but that movie was it...for me, masterpieces make you think and they make you feel...and oh boy, I was affected for months by this one...and anytime it's on, I watch it again and think how right Cameron got this movie...it's timeless, and the best movies have to be...

Thank you for this wonderful piece.  I had a similar reaction to yours.  The first time I saw it was with my girlfriend, we both bawled out eyes out.  The third time I saw it with my best male friend.  We were both jocks, football team, hockey team, dated similar girls and drove cool cars and and that all that jazz.  We both bawled in the film and wiped away tears afterwards.  In the coming weeks, we would drive in silence together and listen to the god-damned soundtrack on CD and just let the tears flow, in silence.

Titanic has that effect on people.  It's not just the loss of Jack and Rose's heartache, it's the loss of life, the old couple on the bed, Vasquez and her two kids, even the super rich like JJ Astor.  Titanic is unlike any film I've ever seen.  With the exception of perhaps ET, no other film made me feel what Titanic did.  It's a superb film in every way and deserves it's place on here for sure. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, captainwondyful said:

Ever since Deadpool 2, I have been listening to Celine Dion.  A lot.  My Heart Will Go On is a great song. We should do that next. Best songs from movies. 

If you are from canada that song is seared into our brains...

@baumer can attest. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

“Look, it’s very, very simple,” says Cameron, “you read page 147 of the script and it says, ‘Jack gets off the board and gives his place to her so that she can survive.’ It’s that simple. You can do all the post-analysis you want. So you’re talking about the ‘MythBusters’ episode, right? Where they sort of pop the myth? OK, so let’s really play that out: you’re Jack, you’re in water that’s 28 degrees, your brain is starting to get hypothermia. ‘MythBusters’ asks you to now go take off your life vest, take hers off, swim underneath this thing, attach it in some way that it won’t just wash out two minutes later — which means you’re underwater tying this thing on in 28-degree water, and that’s going to take you five to ten minutes, so by the time you come back up you’re already dead. So that wouldn’t work. His best choice was to keep his upper body out of the water and hope to get pulled out by a boat or something before he died.”

He added, “They’re fun guys and I loved doing that show with them, but they’re full of shit.”

james-cameron-psa.jpg

Thank you for finding this....I was about to start looking for it as well.  But I kinda figured you might beat me to it.  :)

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Pretty sure most of us don't run away in hiding in fear of a member of the opposite sex whenever one approaches us.

I still think most would freeze and say something stupid lol 

10 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I still think most would freeze and say something stupid lol 

original.gif

Bonus:

tumblr_p42xp0jPRK1qf5hjqo2_540.gif

tumblr_p42xp0jPRK1qf5hjqo3_540.gif

God, I can't wait to put this movie at #1 next time around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Disbelief 1

• Community Manager
37 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Pretty sure most of us don't run away in hiding in fear of a member of the opposite sex whenever one approaches us.

raj-kunal-nayyar-e1438841743778.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1