ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

Chloe’s pitch was accepted way before Nomadland was even shot, they just liked The Rider and her pitch. I think imbrugia does have a bit of a point. The critic reception seems pretty clear now, I would wait for audience before making any further pronouncements. This could get a straight up A for instance (not modal outcome, but within plausible range) in which case a lot of these takes will look extremely premature to say the least.

• Like 1

Guys, can we please stop this whole "critics are out to get this/wanted this movie to be bad" stuff? This all rings to me as baseless conspiratorial accusations, will start out some sort of petty flame war, and I just plain don't want this stuff here.

And no, I don't care what "evidence" you have on this kind of stuff.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Guys, can we please stop this whole "critics are out to get this/wanted this movie to be bad" stuff? This all rings to me as baseless conspiratorial accusations, will start out some sort of petty flame war, and I just plain don't want this stuff here.

Not really sure what to do with this post. You say it rings to you as “baseless” then that you don’t want to hear any evidence 😂  

I’m fine not discussing it further but this feels like a weird way to go about that.

6 minutes ago, Avatar Legion said:

Not really sure what to do with this post. You say it rings to you as “baseless” then that you don’t want to hear any evidence 😂  

I’m fine not discussing it further but this feels like a weird way to go about that.

The last part was something I added in, because I knew I would get hounded by fanboys explaining how all of Film Twitter came together against Eternals and that the critics went out of their way to hate it and all of them have petty biases or whatever is being spouted out. Note the quotes around "evidence", implying that such "evidence" that folks like imbruglia is stating does not really exist. This "evidence" is not really a true example of some grand attack against the film, but baseless poppycock because people aren't being ultra super nice towards a movie folks are looking forward to. That's mainly it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

it will be funny if marvel use RT as reverse marketing tool. 

"Marvel's most divisive film ever! Marvel's first rotten!  check this on you own"  lol

it will be messy and fun, they have nothing to lose at this point.

Edited by imbruglia
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Critics put out the hit!!!!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, imbruglia said:

South Korea critic reviews are pretty much same score as BW and SC.  just as I suspected it,..

RT critics are doing too much as usual for performative click bait.

Or they just didn't like it.its just that simple. Ofcorse their unique cases like joker 2019 but sometimes it's just comes down to whether they liked it or not or if it met their expectations

Audiences and critics can overlap and it doesn't mean there is some clickbait

Do.you. know how lenient the critics have been on some of the marvel movies. Do you forget how they gave BP a fricking 97% .

Most negative reviews are now coming from average joe critics who have been very positive to marvel (7/10+) and now even most of the positive ones are 3/5. So you  now telling they suddenly turned on this just for performance clickbait ,I can understand that happening with top critics since they want to pretend to be high class and evolved which at times can really make them come off as pretentious.

But average joe critics are the closest you can get audience. They tend to be the most relatable. It's where most of the youtubers and bloggers are.

Maybe they're used to typical marvel quality and didn't like the tone which could be a more propable cause than performance clickbait or the movie just has issues.

The irony is poeple look down on synder fans for saying critics are biased and just dumping on their movies and yet you making the assumption of performance clickbait as  the major issue is you unknowingly indulging in the same course of action.

Edited by Liiviig 1998

26 minutes ago, imbruglia said:

it will be funny if marvel use RT as reverse marketing tool. 

"Marvel's most divisive film ever! Marvel's first rotten!  check this on you own"  lol

it will be messy and fun, they have nothing to lose at this point.

24 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Critics put out the hit!!!!!

"Audiences loved Eternals but critics don’t want you to see it… The question is why??? Trust the people and see it for yourself!"

• Like 1

because there were lots of people on film twitter hating this for "over a year", not just random people but big cinephile accounts, blue checks, critics.

they've been overly harsh with this. "let's see marvel's cinema lol!!" "marvle is trying to get oscar smh!" "having sunset is not cinema".

you can see that in some of that rotten reviews. 

I'm not saying it should be +80% or +7 film. but the RT are definitely getting down-weighted by those section of critics.

Don't think  critics especially normal care that much about film twitter.

Kevin fiege really pushed oscar talk on this one and then having chloe zhao as director only added to the lofty  expectations which it didn't meet critically at least.

because there were lots of people on film twitter hating this for "over a year", not just random people but big cinephile accounts, blue checks, critics.

they've been overly harsh with this. "let's see marvel's cinema lol!!" "marvle is trying to get oscar smh!" "having sunset is not cinema".

I'm not saying it should be +80% or +7 film. but the RT are definitely getting down-weighted by those section of critics.

This is how it starts. The fever, the rage, the feeling of powerlessness that turns good posters into fan boys.

Edited by Dominic Draper
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 2

Pixar's perfect streak didn't last forever either. And Marvel has an advantage in that Hawkeye's coming just a couple of weeks after this, followed by No Way Home the very next month. Both of them should do well to wash away the bitter taste Eternals will no doubt leave in people's mouths.

Spoiler

So... does anyone want to start the thread for Edgar Wright's The Eternals, or should I do the honors?

50 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Or they just didn't like it.its just that simple. Ofcorse their unique cases like joker 2019 but sometimes it's just comes down to whether they liked it or not or if it met their expectations

Audiences and critics can overlap and it doesn't mean there is some clickbait

Do.you. know how lenient the critics have been on some of the marvel movies. Do you forget how they gave BP a fricking 97% .

Most negative reviews are now coming from average joe critics who have been very positive to marvel (7/10+) and now even most of the positive ones are 3/5. So you  now telling they suddenly turned on this just for performance clickbait ,I can understand that happening with top critics since they want to pretend to be high class and evolved which at times can really make them come off as pretentious.

But average joe critics are the closest you can get audience. They tend to be the most relatable. It's where most of the youtubers and bloggers are.

Maybe they're used to typical marvel quality and didn't like the tone which could be a more propable cause than performance clickbait or the movie just has issues.

The irony is poeple look down on synder fans for saying critics are biased and just dumping on their movies and yet you making the assumption of performance clickbait as  the major issue is you unknowingly indulging in the same course of action.

Or to use your own logic, critics weren’t “lenient” but they just liked those movies more?

Gotta admit, countering conspiracy theories against critics by conjuring one up against them is novel.

1 hour ago, The GOAT said:

They should bring back the Fanboy Wars Threads, when DC gets good again.   

Presumably around March of next Year.   :jeb!:

Where were you this summer? TSS was good. A shame it tanked, but most of it wasn’t it’s fault. Of course this doesn’t give ammo in Franchise Wars thus why eggs are being put in the Batman basket. 

14 hours ago, Avatar Legion said:

Chloe’s pitch was accepted way before Nomadland was even shot, they just liked The Rider and her pitch. 

DC had announced Ava DuVernay's New Gods. Feige probably had a kneejerk reaction when Zhao approached him. Only this time, he seems to have severely miscalculated compared to the last time with Civil War and BvS when his aggressive play paid off.

3 hours ago, imbruglia said:

That's kind of true. They were bitter about the movie since the day it was announced with Chloe Zhao. Not to forget how riled up some got after Kumail's pics.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

DC had announced Ava DuVernay's New Gods. Feige probably had a kneejerk reaction when Zhao approached him. Only this time, he seems to have severely miscalculated compared to the last time with Civil War and BvS when his aggressive play paid off.

Doubt New gods factored into things at all, and “severely miscalculated” is… well… might want to wait for the movie to come out.

• Like 1