CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

Just now, harrycaul said:

I'd hoped for 15, but with old people legs it'll be fine.

I'm definitely one of those old people who liked it. I'm telling all my old people friends to go see it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, narniadis said:

So earlier this week, when I tried to outline why I thought Deadpool wasn't going to meet the over-optimistic expectations I explained it this way.

A - Comedy Sequel - which rarely do as well as their predecessors

B - lack of originality

C - Inflated OW for Deadpool #1

My argument was that Deadpool #1 was inflated by about 20m on it's 4-Day opening (so 130m 4-day instead of 150m.) And that anything over 130m would actually be an increase over a normal weekend / 4 day for the film.

Deadpool 2 is doing just fine. The data - just as with Solo next week - is all there to show that the film wasn't going to be busting out much higher (if at all) some of ya just chose to ignore it.

I swear if there was more logic and less emotion on this board the swings wouldn't be nearly so bad.

Now a broken clock is right twice a day - so I guess I used one of my times for the year (LOL)

The voice of reason! Bravo!!

• Like 2

The effects of Mothers Day and Deadpool are seen in the drops this weekend... but really they could have been much worse.

I think IW manages to get 29.5m when actuals come in. Not the 30m I had thought possible but in the range.

The box office is doing great so far this month.

@Sam the May 2007 outlook has always been the best one. Months with more than 2 "big" films always cause suffering (minus December, but we all know why.)

When you think about it, if Shrek 2 hadn't opened on a Wednesday it would have broken the OW record and Shrek 3 would probably have been a drop instead of the increase that the record shows. Deadpool is similar in that regard, the Data isn't going to show the reality (2 holiday boost for the 1st film which deflates the way the other one looks.)

Solo is going So low next week. I have actually begun to wonder if it can replicate X3 or even DOFP as far as 3/4day Memorial day grossers go.

• Like 1

i said deadpool 2 was gonna drop! ...2 years ago when deadpool 1 opened. like i do for pretty much every break out success where people get very over enthusiastic for the sequel. i have a great 50/50 success rate with this method.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Disney giving A:IW a 35% drop  :lol:   

2018/05/18 2 $7,247,000 +111% 4,002 $1,811   $573,607,959 22
2018/05/19 2 $13,024,000 +80% 4,002 $3,254   $586,631,959 23
2018/05/20 2 $8,401,000 -35% 4,002 $2,099   $595,032,959 24

Lmao. So the Rth’s number was spot on.

I admittedly overestimate Disney’s undying love for the 40% drops.

But hey, it’s a learning process and a step in the right direction for Disney. After the million times of sticking with 40% Sun drops for BP, at least they show improvements with IW.

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

A comicbookmovie falling 25% on its first Sunday is not uncommon guys LOL

For ones that have big Saturdays which then cause spillover. This should have a more standard 30-35% Sunday drop. The first Deadpool had on average drops of 35-40% 

1 minute ago, eXtacy said:

For ones that have big Saturdays which then cause spillover. This should have a more standard 30-35% Sunday drop. The first Deadpool had on average drops of 35-40% 

The first Deadpool pretty much stayed flat its OW  :ph34r:

The gap between BP and IW has shrunk to 34 million. Weekdays for BP the next couple weeks are very strong thx to spring break. Curious to see what IW puts up since we are getting close to summer week days and smaller Friday bumps 

42 minutes ago, Nova said:

It's going lower than IT. $121M OW for a $260M total. 

Probably gonna do less than $600M WW as well since those numbers aren't too hot either. 

How do you feel now after 176M OS opening. Still sticking with your 340M OS prediction? :P

1 minute ago, Sam said:

Lmao. So the Rth’s number was spot on.

I admittedly overestimate Disney’s undying love for the 40% drops.

But hey, it’s a learning process and a step in the right direction for Disney. After the million times of sticking with 40% Sun drops for BP, at least they show improvements with IW.

Sunday drops so far - 15.7, 21.5, 28.9 (Mother's Day anti-bump)

and they come up with -35%  with Victoria Day on Monday and 72% of colleges now out.  

Amazing. :lol: