Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

And they don't see it. They just don't see it. It's amazing. I think that The Last Jedi is a good movie but it's reception is mixed at best. I guess I learned from my DC days to not be in denial about things.

IX's drop off on OW from TLJ will make it pretty hard to not see. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

@terrestrial Here’s another one:

I still see no pushing, but it incl at least a wording that actually shows the writer does hope for a better BO

It's a BO article of a website that gave a higher prediction than it looks like to get. So the writer might hope bcs

1. of that (writer / their departments reputation for predictions), or

2, bcs the writer oppinion is it isn't deserving the early 'ratings' (that are improving in huge steps btw, audience at RT now 22% higher as it was the last time I checked),

3. or bcs he/she is a bit like some here myself included and think all movies should get what they earn (ratings and BO) for itself and not other movies discussed problems, agendas or...

4. bad early press (that includes them) with maybe some click-baiting wordings... for the production troubles - see the remark perhaps due to skepticism

I doubt it goes as far as having a guilty conscience, only that there is a possibility for something instinctively doing

The scepticism wording could logically also being based on ((some part, big part, small part,... who knows) audiences own opinion about earlier films or..., another reason, but that at least has nothing to do with the www or their website

I think the 1-4 examples are more likely than your interpretation of 'pushing' ppl to go, maybe an example for interpreting a sentence out of a preconception?

Just now, GirafficPark said:

It was 2 years ago, the ratings were done when people were still blind to its mediocrity. The racist/sexist haters may be small in number, but they are VERY active. You only have to look on any social media to see they set up many multiple accounts to downvote it.

They hijacked the narrative (the women ruin SW cry me a river!) and are getting way more media attention than deserved, but they didn't cause 700M drop from TFA or Solo's international debacle or even those super low RT numbers. That's all GA. People are connecting less and less with these movies especially outside of America. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Yeah it’s those pesky right wingers. That’s why TLJ has terrible legs for a December release, dropped over 700m from TFA, and now Solo is flat out bombing 

And did you see how those pesky right wingers made Wonder Woman and Black Panther flop?

• Thanks 1

• Community Manager
17 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And what happened with Lost is why I wonder if JJ Abrams is the right choice for the last film in the current trilogy. His track record with Third acts is very spotty, to say the least.

JJ Abrams wasn't really involved with Lost after the first episode. Also other JJ Abrams produced shows had good endings. 

11 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

The Empire Strikes Back made $209.4M in 1980, that translates into $638M in today's money, which is slightly more than what The Last Jedi did. More importantly, the North American population in 1980 was 115M smaller than it is today, a full one/third smaller. 

Are you aware that Empire is EP5? I didnt mention EP5, so whats your point? By your own standards TFA is a failure as well since it 'only' grossed 900M to ANHs 1.5B

Edited by GirafficPark

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

They hijacked the narrative (the women ruin SW cry me a river!) and are getting way more media attention than deserved, but they didn't cause 700M drop from TFA or Solo's international debacle or even those super low RT numbers. That's all GA. People are connecting less and less with these movies especially outside of America. 

Solos international numbers should have been expected for the reasons ive already said. RT and  IMBD audience scores are very easy to manipulate since they only need a few thousand people to affect them, especially when they create a dozen fake accounts each.

Edited by GirafficPark

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

I do genuinely wonder what will happen for IX OS? The complete indifference to SW from that audience is getting very apparent. Not sure what exactly will appeal to them, but hopefully LF figures out something. 

53 minutes ago, baumer said:

Make Luke not dead in part 9

Make him fight Kylo and destroy him.

I could fucking fix Star Wars.  It's not that hard.  Look at what JJ did with TFA.  Record opening and north of a 3.5X.  

Figure it out Kathleen.

This is why you can't and shouldn't fucking fix anything for shit. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

It was 2 years ago, the ratings were done when people were still blind to its mediocrity. The racist/sexist haters may be small in number, but they are VERY active. You only have to look on any social media to see they set up many multiple accounts to downvote it.

This all really started with Trump supporters started claiming RO was anti-Trump. They tried to have a quick boycott, but RO was just releasing so the effect wasnt as noticable. This made to mainstream places the the Colbert show, Newsweek, Wired, etc.. This just made that base more active with TLJ. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

Oh no, it's going to be 18 months of "See, toldja TLJ killed Star Wars!".

:winomg:

Well, if it makes you feel better some of us had to put up with "there is no real TLJ backlash or SW fatigue, it's only butthurt fanboys" for 6 months. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I do genuinely wonder what will happen for IX OS? The complete indifference to SW from that audience is getting very apparent. Not sure what exactly will appeal to them, but hopefully LF figures out something. 

Ultimately it comes down to Marketing honestly. The trailers for TFA where pure Hype and it showed in views. The trailers for Rogue One and Last Jedi in particluar were...not bad, but kinda out of left field and it showed in views. The trailers for Solo were awful. That showed as well.

I stand by my point that any real predictions for Episode IX DOM and OS are kinda iffy without any marketing material. Though at least the main SW markets OS (UK/France/Germany/Japan/Australia) should be on par with The Last Jedi imo.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Episode 9 should perform better? Hopefully. But like there's a difference between indifference to SW as a whole and indifference to a Han Solo movie, which even lots of SW fans weren't that interested in seeing.

(And no dropping TLJ dropping from TFA isn't a sign. It was the third SW movie in a year, it increased at least domestically from RO, and everybody expected it to drop.)

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mr Impossible said:

Under $500M is probable? 

Worldwide fo Solo ? Try under 400M. OS looks absolutely horrible and JW will end its legs in 10 Days.

• Disbelief 1

Believe it or not I want Star Wars to succeed. I do however want them to stop living in the past with these side stories so yes Solo flopping is a good thing. It forces LF and Disney to question staying in the past and sticking with characters that we already know when it comes to Star Wars side stories. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

They lost China and new markets. Asia minus Japan and LA don't give a shit about SW. So their only hope is that IX doesn't drop much from TLJ in traditional markets (UK, Europe, Oz, NZ, Japan). Tough call considering one-two punch of TLJ/Solo and tougher competition (studios will not keep their biggies far from SW anymore since it's proven fallible). I think that drop from TLJ is happening no matter how deceivingly awesome previews may be. It's still about characters that don't sell merch and that shows lack of passion on audience side. 

Edited by Valonqar

Just now, JB33 said:

I'm definite NOT a leftist but how the hell is Solo about feminism and all that? Like, are folks triggered that easily?

The ironic  part is from what I've read about the movie, it sounds like the alt-righters might actually like this one. 

• Like 2