Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

1 minute ago, Daxtreme said:

That's the thing with prequels too -- no one's in any really hurry to go see them.

I went to see Black Panther partly because I had to see it before Infinity War came out. Had Black Panther been a prequel, I would have never went to see it (waiting for DVD instead)

That's just me but I think that, in general, no one's in a rush to see Solo. Add to that that it was seen as largely unnecessary, and that we live in a post-TLJ world, and yeah this shouldn't really be too surprising when you stop and think about it

I mean people will go see prequels, Rogue One for example.  But that one got a TFA bump, it was led by new characters (so there were stakes, as besides getting the Death Star plans, you wouldn’t know what would happen to them) and it was released in a rather open Christmas market when people want to see movies anyways.

I think if Solo had released this Christmas, it could have pulled respectable numbers simply due to being a name brand during a time people are seeing movies anyways.  Probably not close to RO, but better than this at least.

I also think we could be in a point where there’s not franchise fatigue, but franchise indifference.  People aren’t tired of franchises (obviously look at most the hits we have), but they’re indifferent about watching every installment in theaters, especially if they don’t sell themselves.  There’s so many blockbusters and universes, that it doesn’t seem as necessary to go see each one.

People saw Wonder Woman, but are fine skipping JL.  People saw TLJ, but are fine skipping Solo.  I could easily see people being fine seeing Avengers and BP but willing to skip Ant-Man 2.

As for AM2, I don’t think that ones in trouble, especially with a smaller budget.  But I could easily see it grossing more on par with the phase 1 or 2 movies than the phase 3 ones.  It’s also a prequel.

• Like 1

I wonder if people will finally acknowledge that both RPO and Rampage did okay at the box office. People were calling for those to be huge flops for forever and they aren't going to make WB rich or anything but they did okay. 

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

More like Paramount "sold" the movies for 20% cut of the box office and they would keep their logo in front of them. There were probably other money deals involved as well since those movies were originally gonna be Paramount releases even after Disney bought Marvel. Iron Man 3 was originally gonna be the last Paramount MCU release.

Paramount got a nice payday for doing nothing for both Avengers and IM3.

5 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Even the original Iron Man skewed more domestically than internationally. It's honestly astonishing that a B-list superhero with a washed up actor opened to 100 million back in 2008. Really speaks to how damn good that movie was and that it spoke to audiences in unexpected ways, and Marvel continues to do that ten years later: give audiences what they want even when they don't know they want it.

Yeah in retrospective the first iron man film is the most important film of the last...I don’t know how many years. Just imagine what it started and how different the movie industry landscape would have been had it flopped.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine OS didn't contribute much back in the day.

It was not even tracked for most movies I think, but for a global blockbuster like Cleopatra:

http://www.worldwideboxoffice.com/index.cgi?top=25&start=1963&finish=1963&order=domestic&keyword=&links=&popups=

According to this, was bigger oversea than domestic, Lawrence of Arabia was also really big so were obviously the James Bond, press until very recently didn't care much about oversea, Jurassic Park becoming the biggest movie worldwide was not big back in the days. Not sure how accurate that figure above is, even on wikipedia there is no mention of the oversea performance.

Just look how Deadpool 2 bigger opening weekend than the first one was received by the press.

Edited by Barnack

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I wonder if people will finally acknowledge that both RPO and Rampage did okay at the box office. People were calling for those to be huge flops for forever and they aren't going to make WB rich or anything but they did okay. 

RPO did better OS than expected, I'm sure WB was pleased with how it did and likewise Rampage.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I wasn’t posting much at that time but why would someone call these movies bombs, esp. rampage ? That one did fine for what it was.

14 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Real talk: What are the odds for IX under $500M? IX under $400M?

Under 500? I'd say it will happen if the movie isn't much more TFA than TLJ in GA reception. Under 400? Seems impossible, but if WOM is bad after  what Solo did then I guess maybe? 

1 minute ago, Pandamia! said:

People saw Wonder Woman, but are fine skipping JL.  People saw TLJ, but are fine skipping Solo.  I could easily see people being fine seeing Avengers and BP but willing to skip Ant-Man 2.

As for AM2, I don’t think that ones in trouble, especially with a smaller budget.  But I could easily see it grossing more on par with the phase 1 or 2 movies than the phase 3 ones.  It’s also a prequel.

People will not skip AM2. It will not make some huge numbers, but it will get a boost from IW

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Paramount got a nice payday for doing nothing for both Avengers and IM3.

To be fair they didn't do anything for the other MCU films either except distribute them.

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Original movies seem to do good this summer. Sequels and spinoffs are rejected. maybe here lies the problem

• ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Mekanos said:

The only thing with RPO is I don't know if it made WB confident in making a sequel. A movie can be profitable but still be a non-starter as a franchise.

It won't get a sequel but it made money or will make money. That's all I was saying.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bangbingchan said:

Because it's WB/DC film

Yeap. WB/DC hate-train exists (but some people love deny this fact:hahaha:)

Anyway, I don't think future 9 episode won't save itself. Good trailers and marketing's hooricane can make miracles.

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

More like Paramount "sold" the movies for 20% cut of the box office and they would keep their logo in front of them. There were probably other money deals involved as well since those movies were originally gonna be Paramount releases even after Disney bought Marvel. Iron Man 3 was originally gonna be the last Paramount MCU release.

Not 20%. Disney paid $115m in 2 installments for Avengers and Iron Man 3, with the possibility they’ll get up to 9% distribution fee if they overperform. 

Paramount To End Relationship With Marvel In 2012: Disney Will Distribute 'Iron Man 3' and 'The Avengers'

Just now, Alli said:

Original movies seem to do good this summer. Sequels and spinoffs are rejected. maybe here lies the problem

RPO and Rampage aren't original, they're adaptations 

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

It won't get a sequel but it made money or will make money. That's all I was saying.

I think a sequel was always 50/50 regardless since the sequel to the novel isn't out yet but not every live action blockbuster has to be a franchise.

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

@The Futurist is right that euphoria over TFA dom overlooked the fact that LA and Asia didn't catch fire as much as traditional markets and those new markets reverted into ignoring SW from RO onward. 

To who that this information could possibly matter did it do that ?

Everyone saw it I think, Rogue One was an obvious attempt to change that, it is not like Disney didn't knew about this and didn't try to do something about it.